The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   red line products (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268674)

beefheart 08-30-2019 08:17 AM

red line products

anyone use any redline products? I have read they work well in the gearbox and rear end

Phil Brown 08-30-2019 10:36 AM

Re: red line products

I have been using there assembly lube for years, good stuff.

Jim Brierley 08-30-2019 10:50 AM

I use their assy lube too, and have heard nothing but good reports on their oils.

beefheart 08-30-2019 04:53 PM

I’m gonna try some in the gear box

CWPASADENA 08-30-2019 06:48 PM

I have used Red Line Products for years in my race cars which are subjected to severe conditions.

Red Line Products are very good however, beings they are synthetic, they tend to leak worse than conventional oils.

If your gear box and rear end are absolutely leak free, the oil should stay in place.

Red line oils do not come in the heavier weights that the standard Model A gear Box likes to have so it may be noisier and will not shift as good.

I do not think Red Line Oils will reduce wear as the bearings and gears in our Model A's are not very heavily loaded.

Again, this is just my opinion and I am SURE others will have other views on the subject.

Chris W.

beefheart 08-30-2019 07:04 PM

Thank you your thoughts on redline products , I think I will stick to the heavier lubricants , how about engine oil? What is recommended?

Johnny Nitro 08-30-2019 07:29 PM

I’ve been using their 80w250 in my transmission for most of the summer, and have been happier with it than the 600w they sell in the catalogues.

31 Vicky 08-30-2019 07:41 PM

I use Red Line products exclusively in our Model A's and work in tech support.
We offer an 80W250 gear oil, a modern equivalent viscosity to the old 600W, used in our transmission. The ShockProof Heavy is used in our differential and steering box. In the engine I use 10W30 and definitely WaterWetter in the cooling system.
Used these on our trip to Dearborn and back...

A's Always Dave

CWPASADENA 08-30-2019 11:50 PM

That is good to know,

My sources for Red Line products were from the racing community.

They only offered the lighter weight lubricants and mostly we were using their racing oils for the engines.

For engine oil for the Model A's, I am in southern California where we do not have cold weather. I use 20-50 with good success.

Chris W.

31 Vicky 09-01-2019 12:51 AM

We sell a line of synthetic race oils from very low viscosity to top fuel 70Wt, though our main business are street products. Model A engines will certainly tolerate a range of viscosities, I use 10W30 a similar viscosity at operating temperature to the SAE 30 originally called for, works well and good wear analysis.

A's Always
Dave