The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How much toe? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116980)

gkgeiger 09-10-2013 07:35 AM

How much toe?

I'm at the garage and they have no specs, what's the best toe setting for my '39?

ccnelson 09-10-2013 07:59 AM

Re: How much toe?

The manual says correct toe-in is 1/16 inch

gkgeiger 09-10-2013 08:02 AM

Thanks, that's what I thought

Kube 09-10-2013 08:14 AM

Gene, I have found that placing the toe at about 1/8 makes the car steer much easier. Yes, the tires will wear a tad quicker but realistically, they will still last nearly as many miles as if the tow was set to 1/16".

gkgeiger 09-10-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 723019)
Gene, I have found that placing the toe at about 1/8 makes the car steer much easier. Yes, the tires will wear a tad quicker but realistically, they will still last nearly as many miles as if the tow was set to 1/16".

By the time I got this post it was done. It drives great with 1/16". I'm very pleased. Thanks guys!

Ken Arms 09-10-2013 01:53 PM

where would take your measurements to be accurate, does someone have a suggested procedure? I have a fresh 34 chassie sitting on blocks minus wheels/tires. Ken

Model A Bill 09-10-2013 04:30 PM

When I did mine,I clamped a straight solid piece of metal stock to the face of the drum.I kept it level with the floor.The metal was long enough to extend past the front of the frame in the front and slightly longer then the face of the drum in the rear to aid in measuring.Take a measurement at the back of the metal and then measure the front.Adjust as necessary to maintain1/16 to 1/8 less distance at the front.Crude but it worked fine for me.I took it to the garage where I work and checked it with the alignment equipment and it was spot on.Others may chime in with a better way

Bill

Torchie 09-10-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Model A Bill (Post 723334)
When I did mine,I clamped a straight solid piece of metal stock to the face of the drum.I kept it level with the floor.The metal was long enough to extend past the front of the frame in the front and slightly longer then the face of the drum in the rear to aid in measuring.Take a measurement at the back of the metal and then measure the front.Adjust as necessary to maintain1/16 to 1/8 less distance at the front.Crude but it worked fine for me.I took it to the garage where I work and checked it with the alignment equipment and it was spot on.Others may chime in with a better way

Bill

Not crude at all.
When Craig Breedlove built the First "Spirit of America" land speed reord holder in his parents garage he did much the same thing. Good old Yankee ingenuity...
Torchie.

Fordors 09-10-2013 08:23 PM

Breedlove's Spirit of America had zero toe. When built and for all runs thereafter it was a three wheeled vehicle.

ford38v8 09-11-2013 01:41 AM

Jackstands on the shackles to maintain the unsprung relationship.
Tires spun holding chalk at the center of the tread.
Pencil line on the chalk.
Measurements taken at the front and rear, halfway up the tires.
1/16" to 1/8" difference is the correct measurement.

A measuring jig can be made with a 2x4 stud having right angle upright pointers. Fasten a 6" scale horizontally at the top of one pointer.