The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I'd like to start a new thread on the components used in building a flathad (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294089)

Ol' Ron 02-05-2021 11:25 PM

I'd like to start a new thread on the components used in building a flathad

Ther are allot of members here on the barn with the knowledge of what not to do, as well as helping make a choice in the use of some components as well as the machine work necessary depending on the application on the engine. Alg with the reasons why!! I'm doing this because I see allot of flatheads on the internet built by well meaning people that have mad some poor choices. I also have a personal reason. For the past two months I've had a problem with Hhigh Blood pressure, been up in the VA a few times, and they seem to have it under control, but at 87, I just thought I can help along with others here on the Barn.
Gramps

Scotty's 52 F3 02-05-2021 11:30 PM

Re: I'd like to start a new thread on the components used in building a flathad

I'm listening. I have an 8RT to build for my F3 hopefully soon. I always appreciate posts from the experts like yourself. Looking forward to this thread. Thanks in advance.

OldGold360 02-05-2021 11:37 PM

Thanks Ron. I look forward to the info you plan to share. Thank you!

Brian 02-06-2021 12:55 AM

Good idea.
Camshafts; many people make the mistake of overcamming their engine. For a street driven engine that will predominantly be cruising at say 60 MPH, ideally you want the engine developing maximum torque at those revs, then it is running most efficiently, giving best fuel consumption. No use having a cam that is nowhere near it's 'powerband'. Do some arithmetic, calculate the RPM's of the engine at your chosen speed, factoring in diff ratio and rear tire diameter, and select a camshaft that is designed to give power at those revs. Do not choose a cam simply because it sounds good whilst idling.

Ziggster 02-06-2021 06:35 AM

I think that is a great idea. I created a spreadsheet when first started mine listing "all" the components I needed to purchase, reuse or fabricate. It included suppliers, their P/N's and costs. It hasn't been updated in a while, but I'm willing to share it, the only issue it would likely be too big to share using pictures, so I would need to share the actual file.

Ziggster 02-06-2021 06:36 AM

I forgot to mention, mine is a C59A block.

Ol' Ron 02-06-2021 07:42 AM

I suppose we should hae some ground rules, I'm referring to "Street engines". I consider the engine should be well tuned for power and economy, and many of these engines are running rich, which will cause the rings to fail over time. I do like a beautiful well dressed engine. The Flathead offers a great platform for aesthetics. Unfortunately this can cost a great deal of money. What are your thoughts on intakes??

Ziggster 02-06-2021 08:21 AM

At the moment my engine is completely stock except for the Isky 1007B cam and 0.060” over with a helmet distributor.

Grease348 02-06-2021 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Ron (Post 1982243)
I suppose we should hae some ground rules, I'm referring to "Street engines". I consider the engine should be well tuned for power and economy, and many of these engines are running rich, which will cause the rings to fail over time. I do like a beautiful well dressed engine. The Flathead offers a great platform for aesthetics. Unfortunately this can cost a great deal of money. What are your thoughts on intakes??

I’m gathering parts for my 8ba right now. I’m going with a merc aluminum intake with a Rochester two barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richard crow 02-06-2021 09:33 AM

the best running flat head is a stock one

alanwoodieman 02-06-2021 09:48 AM

have helped build a few and have built a few myself, learned some do's and some don'ts along the way. a few aw sh--, never had a complete failure but know of a couple that had to be completely rebuilt. willing to share my thoughts if you guys want me to. no way near as good as Old Ron, but I would bet he could tell us of a few!!

hop up 02-06-2021 10:01 AM

Awesome thanks you

Ol' Ron 02-06-2021 10:14 AM

Yes a stock flathead is a very good running engine, however, some want alittle more from it. I like the 2GC upgrade, however you need to bore the intake ports under the carb to match the throttle bores. Just bell mouthing won't do much. Also the stock distributor won't work with this setup. The best distributor up grade is the converted GM unit.. But the crab will work just fine in the earlier blocks.
A.060" bore will give you 248ci and a 1/2 point increase in CR. By angle milling the head yo can add another point and with the 2GC carb allot of torque, and much better fuel mileage.
I'd like a survey her what's the price for boring the block and fitting the pistons. Also milling the heads in your area,.

19Fordy 02-06-2021 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ron, Thank you for your willingness to share your many years of skill and knowledge. A good running engine close to stock with perhaps a few upgrades that don't turn it into a money pit "race horse" engine would be nice . For instance, the 239 8BA engine in the photo below is internally stock except for the 4 bbl set up and adjustable lifters. The "bling" cost $$ so that's not required in your build engine idea.

flatford8 02-06-2021 10:35 AM

I just stripped a Mercury block that tested good. My plan is a “clean up” over bore. It has an 8CM cam and will have adjustable lifters, Mercury intake with a 2GC. EAB heads with a tight piston- head clearance. No shiney sh!t. It’s going in a stock ‘50 Fordor. My ‘51 has a “Walt- built” 276, but I haven’t got it on the road yet...... Mark

Grease348 02-06-2021 10:38 AM

Could I get some more information on the angle milling on the heads? Like angles ect. I run a Bridgeport at my work. I might be able to squeeze a job like that in on a Saturday. Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JM 35 Sedan 02-06-2021 11:10 AM

Great idea Ron. I see posts on Facebook, and here as well, where young folks (and some old) are building their first Flathead engine, and asking questions about how they should do the build. In many cases they are getting the wrong information....which may lead them down the road of disapointment, and who knows where from there.
I'll be following this thread with great interest.....

tubman 02-06-2021 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am also partial to a 2GC on a Mercury manifold. However, as Ron has said it is important to bore it to match the 2GC throttle bores. I use a scrap 2GC base as a guide and a tool called a "Rota-Broach" to do this in my drill press. I have done it several times with great success, on both cast iron and aluminum manifolds.

Here's a link to a post I made on the H.A.M.B. with more detail : https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...#post-13738492.

AnthonyG 02-06-2021 11:22 AM

Thx Ron, I’ve drawn on ur great knowledge more than a few time & ur always right on the mark! I recently replaced Rods, rings & pistons on an 8BA. I think Ron’s idea is to help Ppl understand some of the options & potential costs of components to build / rebuild their Flatty’s. The I’ll Probly get criticism but that’s cool. I try to take all in the right spirit & learn:)! So my engine is an 8BA .060 over w a Merc Crank in good shape. I had 4 cracked Pistons & I went w all new Ross Forged Domed Pistons & rings approx $800, my intake is a Offy 4brl approx $400 w a 600 cfm 1403 Edelbrock approx $350. Offy heads approx $1000. If I had it to do over I’d get Edelbrock heads, better & cheaper approx $700. Hope it was informative!

Ol' Ron 02-06-2021 03:26 PM

I don't recomend Forged pistons for a street engine, they require larger piston to wall clearance, are expensive and . WHY??? Egge makes very fine pistons and 3 ring pistons for the 3 5/16 stylr. thes can be ruN with .002' Clearance. prolonging ring life. And they are expensive. However, I do use them in the hi performance engines. Save money and have a better street engine.
Gramps
I didn't want this thread to be just me telling Youse guys what to do, there are many others here that can offer their suggestions as well.