The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   '40 Ford interior questions update from 4-23 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284977)

V8 Bob 08-02-2020 02:15 PM

'40 Ford interior questions update from 4-23

I trailered the '40 to the trim shop 3 weeks ago and will bring it home this Wednesday with a beautiful new interior, thanks in part to some of you!
What I have left to do is re-assemble the door garnishes. These were completely dis-assembled several years ago so the garnishes and wing vent frames could be chromed, and that meant removing all the rivets. The problem is I am not sure what direction some of the rivets should be installed or their correct size. What's more confusing are the rivets I received with the wing vent rubber and vent handle rebuild kits don't seem right.

Sooo, is there a correct rivet set (and/or correct sizes) with instructions available for the garnishes?
This would include the wing vent pivot post, lever bracket, upper hinge half, and garnish wing rubber, lever lock and upper hinge half.
I ordered some 9/64" and 5/32' tubular steel rivets that were in stock but know I need more.
Any help here would be really appreciated. Thanks.
Bob

deuce_roadster 08-02-2020 02:54 PM

Re: '40 Ford interior questions update from 4-23

This sounds like a Kube question. I did that with my coupe but don't remember much about it. If you need close up pictures of the parts riveted on for the vent I will do what I can without removing the garnish.

V8 Bob 08-02-2020 03:28 PM

Thanks Deuce. I should have been much more careful documenting the dis-assembly as to rivet direction. I did save several drilled out rivets but did not id their locations or orientation. I must have thought "I'll remember, no biggie" :rolleyes:.

19Fordy 08-02-2020 04:25 PM

V8 Bob, Read all the info. in this Google search. I recall I used some pop rivets at some locations.
https://www.google.com/search?q=inst...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Kube 08-02-2020 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8 Bob (Post 1915901)
I trailered the '40 to the trim shop 3 weeks ago and will bring it home this Wednesday with a beautiful new interior, thanks in part to some of you!
What I have left to do is re-assemble the door garnishes. These were completely dis-assembled several years ago so the garnishes and wing vent frames could be chromed, and that meant removing all the rivets. The problem is I am not sure what direction some of the rivets should be installed or their correct size. What's more confusing are the rivets I received with the wing vent rubber and vent handle rebuild kits don't seem right.

Sooo, is there a correct rivet set (and/or correct sizes) with instructions available for the garnishes?
This would include the wing vent pivot post, lever bracket, upper hinge half, and garnish wing rubber, lever lock and upper hinge half.
I ordered some 9/64" and 5/32' tubular steel rivets that were in stock but know I need more.
Any help here would be really appreciated. Thanks.
Bob

Bob, I am just about to do this task with my current coupe project. I am willing to take detailed photos for you and share some "tricks" to make your life easier.

Perhaps you can private message me?

V8 Bob 08-02-2020 05:36 PM

Thanks to all for any help. PM coming Kube.

deuce_roadster 08-02-2020 05:59 PM

There you go V8 Bob, just what you needed! We are lucky to have the 40 expert available here!

19Fordy 08-02-2020 09:07 PM

"Kube" is the human life saver of 1940.

V8 Bob 08-14-2020 12:31 PM

Re: '40 Ford interior questions update from 8-02

I found some 5/32" tubular steel rivets for the wing vent hinge and lever mount, along with the garnish upper hinge and lever lock. What I need are the vent post rivets, which are 5/32" diameter with a grip of about 1/4" I can get blind from several places including McMaster-Carr, but would prefer steel tubular, which are a non-stock item at several suppliers.

The other items I need are door garnish trim panel clips. These are smaller than the door panel clips. I have 7 or 8 usable originals but does anybody have a few spares, or know a source? Thanks.
Bob