The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dumbest Reproduction Parts (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124784)

jkeesey 11-30-2013 01:06 PM

Dumbest Reproduction Parts

1 Attachment(s)
I would like to have a little fun and see if anyone else has some really terrible reproduction parts they have pulled from cars. I don't mean parts that have the holes a little misaligned but rather the holes in the 100% wrong place or parts that would just never work.

Im going to start this off with a lovely all aluminum terminal box lid. I don't know how long this was on the car but as soon as it hit my shop it began sparking and the ammeter wasn't too happy.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 11-30-2013 01:18 PM

Re: Dumbest Reproduction Parts

I don't think you have been around long enough to have experienced some of the first Specialized Auto stuff (made in Argentina) which was only slightly better than Ricks of Shawnee Mission KS (ahh, the infamous "Rick's Pack"), ...which was even worse than the JC Whitney garbage offered before that. If only you could travel back in time to the 60's and early 70s to experience the 'Repro Replacement Revolution'!! :(

jkeesey 11-30-2013 01:20 PM

I have one of the old Ricks catalogues. We found it when we were cleaning up after my Grandfather passed. My old man handed it to me saying I could use it. That was the funniest thing I had heard in a while.

DougVieyra 11-30-2013 01:52 PM

In the past 100 years, I have not thought of "Rick's" catalog (and manual), but yesterday, I was looking for something in my Ford Model A Library and stumbled onto the 'long forgotten' "Rick's" Restoration manual. Hummm, I thought. And Now today, to have it mentioned again - what a coincidence !

Rowdy 11-30-2013 01:55 PM

Much agreed, the Specialized Auto and Rick Pack's stuff was still in abundance in the early 80's when I first got into the hobbie. I still seen some in the JC Whitney catalogs of that era. I did most of my business with Masonville Garage during that time, so never really encountered the worst of the worse. Rod

Wick 11-30-2013 03:36 PM

Here you go...

dam555 11-30-2013 03:46 PM

Oh yes, Rick's. I ended up letting my attorney handle Rick.

QGolden 11-30-2013 06:10 PM

Wick,
I love the Hubcap, I have never seen that before!

Terry,NJ 11-30-2013 06:16 PM

I have a two bladed fan that was stamped (not stock, not fabicated) out of 16ga (Possibly 18 ga) that's about as chintzy as they come. I was wondering just who made this P.O.S.?
Terry

Rusty Homestead Fl 11-30-2013 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the first Model A books I bought. Was better than nothing. Kinda. LOL

Wick 11-30-2013 06:45 PM

I saw that book on ebay one time, there were a lot of bids on it! I've got some more Ricks junk in the shed.

28RPU 11-30-2013 07:17 PM

Wow. Rick's. I remember buying some stuff from that place back in the 1970s and nothing I got was even close to what I needed. I was new at messing with my old car so I just thought I ordered the wrong stuff. I don't remember where I got the right parts. I am glad to see that it wasn't me but his cheap crap.
So, whats the story on Rick's? Whatever happened to him?

BlueSunoco 11-30-2013 07:29 PM

I believe someone posted a while back, that Rick snuck off in the middle of the night to avoid the lawyer stampede that was bearing down on him! Don't know where he is now somebody on here might chime in-------------

And, wasn't he related to the folks that ran JC Whitney and Warshawski's (sp) same people?

I was just starting out back in those days too, and quickly learned my lesson on THOSE parts. Threw them away, was afraid somebody might actually try to use them after I wasn't around.

peters180a/170b 11-30-2013 07:43 PM

If those who remember that RICK'S had a large trailer at Hershey in the early 70's [1974 ?],,, I bought aluminum rain gutters for my 1931 Tudor. What did i know i was 20 at the time and my first time at Hershey...l.o.l.

Roger V 11-30-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peters180a/170b (Post 775441)
If those who remember that RICK'S had a large trailer at Hershey in the early 70's [1974 ?],,, I bought aluminum rain gutters for my 1931 Tudor. What did i know i was 20 at the time and my first time at Hershey...l.o.l.

Boy does that bring back memories. During the great flood of I think '74 at Hershey in the Blue Field, boxes of his parts were floating from his semi-trailer down toward the large drain at the corner of the field. In a way it was almost some sort of justice. The prior day I had asked him if whatever part was made in the US. While he said it was, I picked it up and the box clearly indicated it was made off shore.

Tom Wesenberg 11-30-2013 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Because of the incorrect bend in the repro battery holder, the hole will not line up to mount the part to the top of the frame lip. To use the repro part you will need to mount it under the frame.:mad:

Drive Shaft Dave 12-01-2013 12:25 AM

Worst one for me was, repro taiwan transmission shift lever, sat on the shelf for one year, turned into a ball of rust.

silversink 12-01-2013 12:45 AM

All in one word---Vintique

BILL WILLIAMSON 12-01-2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 775568)
Because of the incorrect bend in the repro battery holder, the hole will not line up to mount the part to the top of the frame lip. To use the repro part you will need to mount it under the frame.:mad:

ONLY Buster T.:cool: would know, & he WON'T tell:D
Buster T.'s:cool: Pet Man.:D

ericr 12-01-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 775252)
I don't think you have been around long enough to have experienced some of the first Specialized Auto stuff (made in Argentina) which was only slightly better than Ricks of Shawnee Mission KS (ahh, the infamous "Rick's Pack"), ...which was even worse than the JC Whitney garbage offered before that. If only you could travel back in time to the 60's and early 70s to experience the 'Repro Replacement Revolution'!! :(

in those earlier days, though, wasn't there a kind of inverse relationship in that repro parts were junkier but there were more NOS parts available?