The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Oil filter adapter question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274242)

Subsailor 12-19-2019 09:51 AM

Oil filter adapter question

I am replacing the oil filter adapter (canister to screw on) on my 272 because it was leaking from the gasket area that goes between the adapter plate and the block. Received the new one yesterday from "Macs". The instructions say that the 1" slot cut through the plate goes on top and stamped into the plate about 45 degrees away from that slot is the word "top". So, any ideas which is correct? I am leaning towards going with what the instructions say, but thought I better ask others that have installed or replaced one of these. Thanks.

darrell 12-19-2019 12:43 PM

Re: Oil filter adapter question

the slot goes to the top.i heard of those with top in the wrong place china.

Subsailor 12-19-2019 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrell (Post 1833051)
the slot goes to the top.i heard of those with top in the wrong place china.

Thanks Darrell. Going to see if I can make it work without leaking.

dmsfrr 12-19-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subsailor (Post 1833060)
. . . Going to see if I can make it work without leaking.

I hope you have better luck with them than I did. Fired up a new engine the first time, the gasket blew out and dumped at least a Qt of oil on the floor. Replaced it with another kit and it blew out a couple days later, also on the garage floor. Glad it wasn't out on the road somewhere.

Not sure what the torque spec for the big nut is but don't over-do it, 20 ft lb may be more than enough. The floppy rubber gasket can tend to squish out.

I solved it with a machined aluminum adapter that uses an O-ring.

Subsailor 12-19-2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfrr (Post 1833065)
I hope you have better luck with them than I did. Fired up a new engine the first time, the gasket blew out and dumped at least a Qt of oil on the floor. Replaced it with another kit and it blew out a couple days later, also on the garage floor. Glad it wasn't out on the road somewhere.

Not sure what the torque spec for the big nut is but don't over-do it, 20 ft lb may be more than enough. The floppy rubber gasket can tend to squish out.

I solved it with a machined aluminum adapter that uses an O-ring.

Thanks for the tip about over tightening. Hopefully it will work and I won't be cleaning up a mess.

darrell 12-19-2019 02:11 PM

there is no secret to these things.ive had 2 or 3 in a row that didnt leak and figured ive got it now.then 2 that leaked.sometimes it took 3 tries to stop it.

Daves55Sedan 12-19-2019 05:59 PM

I'm surprised to hear about the leakage problems. I converted two Y-blocks with spin-on adapters and never had one problem. Makes me wonder if the gasket they are making for these are too soft now. I recall my gaskets being fairly rigid, to the point that you need to smear a little axle grease in the groove to hold the gasket in place while installing the plate. Works great.

paul2748 12-19-2019 09:32 PM

At one time Mac's had a extra thick gasket - don't know if they still have it.

On my 56 Bird, I did the change twice - both times leaked. Went back to the canister and had no more problems.

KULTULZ 12-20-2019 02:04 AM

The main problem is the kit being aftermarket. The adapter plate is stamped from lesser gauge metal and warps when tightening the adapter.

GENUINE FORD - B7A 6882-A

Jim Yergin 12-20-2019 09:46 AM

I solved my leakage problem by using the gasket that comes with the filter for the original canister type. It is much more substantial.
Jim Yergin

54vicky 12-20-2019 10:07 AM

mine has been on for almost 40 years with many filter changes no leaks ever.as already stated offshore quality(lack thereof):(

Ole Don 12-20-2019 12:13 PM

Mr. Yergin has the answer in post ten. Buy a filter for a 55 Ford and use the fiber gasket. It is stiff enough to not squirt out like the modern rubber gasket.