The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New guy, old car (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97679)

GearRat 02-14-2013 09:18 PM

New guy, old car

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I inherited my grand father's 1935 Ford 5 window coupe recently, and I really want to get her running in time for the Lonestar Roundup in April. I believe the engine that currently resides in there is from 1940, and was rebuilt in the 70's or 80's. The car wasn't driven much after the rebuild but is in really nice shape. I'm having trouble getting the engine turned over by hand. I don't have a socket big enough to fit on the crank, so I was using a large screw driver in the "hand crank slot". I couldn't get the engine to budge. Took the plugs out and poured a little marvel oil in the cylinders and am currently waiting on the 1 7/16" socket to break the engine free. Any other advice on what to do to free the engine, i'm afraid of breaking rings.

Additionally, are there any online service manuals available for this car? I know there are some for my 1952 Packard, just curious.

Mike in AZ 02-14-2013 09:33 PM

Re: New guy, old car

welcome to the 'Barn....great history on your car and i hope you get it running, etc. in time for the show.....Mike

bart78 02-14-2013 10:03 PM

Pipe wrench and a floor jack will do the job. Love the old pic. To me the 35 is the best looking coupe.

GearRat 02-14-2013 10:15 PM

Thanks guys,

My grandfather loved his '35, he worked on it in his garage well into his 80's. I only heard him start it once back in the 90's when I was really little, I remember it backfiring a lot. Don't know why it backfired so much, but I'm sure I will be learning a whole lot more about this car as time goes.

cmbrucew 02-14-2013 10:31 PM

GR
Welcome to the barn.
MMO is good, keep adding. Put the car in high gear, and gently rock it. back and forth.
Give it some time and repeat. Be patient.
Like to see more pictures of it.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time

Clem Clement 02-14-2013 10:44 PM

I'm sure there is a local car club that can help you. Helping is what clubs are about.

GearRat 02-14-2013 11:08 PM

I'll try to get some more pics of the car tomorrow. My dad said the engine was really tight after my grandfather had it rebuilt. He said he had a hard time starting it sometimes, so that is also what is fighting me. I had to fill the cylinders on my Packard up with ATF to make sure it would turn over, but it was a high mileage engine with lots of wear. I'm hoping for the best. Pretty sure getting the right socket will do the job. Once she is freed up i'm putting thick battery cables on.

Mike in AZ 02-14-2013 11:45 PM

for the price of a set of gaskets, it might be worth opening up to see under the intake, heads, etc.....if you can't get it to turn over easily.....Mike

Ken Crans 02-15-2013 04:48 AM

Welcome to the Barn Rat... Nice 35. Ken

jim1932 02-15-2013 06:34 AM

With my 32 which had been sitting, we did the oil thing and used a jack the put constant firm pressure on it and left it. In the morning it was free.

Old Redneck 02-15-2013 09:08 AM

Do try to find a local V-8 club to help you with the car. Plus you will meet a bunch of nice guys.

Gumpy 02-15-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GearRat (Post 592374)
Thanks guys,

My grandfather loved his '35, he worked on it in his garage well into his 80's. I only heard him start it once back in the 90's when I was really little, I remember it backfiring a lot. Don't know why it backfired so much, but I'm sure I will be learning a whole lot more about this car as time goes.

Welcome to the barn alot of resources here the search feature at the top of the
page will have alot of information on how to un-freeze and turn over your engine....try "engine froze"....your'e on the right track MM oil will work wonders, also a pipe wrench!

bmwillia 02-15-2013 10:05 AM

Welcome to the barn!

You are in the right place for help and expertise!

I also am fixing up my grandfathers old car. A '33 5w coupe.

Good luck and have fun!

Planojc 02-15-2013 10:15 AM

Where are you located? San Antonio?

joe plumber 02-15-2013 11:03 AM

Welcome to the barn .

Seth Swoboda 02-15-2013 11:35 AM

You are a lucky man to have inherited such a nice car. Welcome to the fordbarn.

GearRat 02-15-2013 01:15 PM

Thanks for the warm welcomes & insight guys!

I'm letting that marvel soak in, and tomorrow I will get me a pipe wrench to loosen this engine. I'm excited about working on this '35. I have admired and feared this car for a long time. Planojc, yessir I reside in San Antonio.

Glad to be here,

-Garrett

PeteVS 02-15-2013 01:49 PM

Try rocking it in 3rd gear to see if you can get it loose.

GearRat 02-15-2013 06:21 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Here are some more current photos...

cmbrucew 02-15-2013 06:59 PM

Hi GR
Very nice coupe. You can be proud to drive that one.
Couldn't tell if it had a columbia two speed rear.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time