The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model B condenser (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239804)

Ian in Mississauga 02-24-2018 07:40 PM

Model B condenser

I have a model B distributor that I want to try. I already have a B timing gear cover and an ignition cable that will work. I had planned to use a model A condenser from A&L. Here's the problem: I see from Vince Falter's site that the 2 condensers have different capacitances.(.20-.25 microfarads for the A and .45-.63 for the B). Is the A&L condenser still a good choice?

J Franklin 02-24-2018 07:44 PM

Re: Model B condenser

I would use a condenser with the correct compactly.

Bob C 02-24-2018 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Totally different condenser, Berts has new USA B condensers.
https://parts.modelastore.com/show_Product.asp?ID=4240

Bob

Charlie Stephens 02-24-2018 09:31 PM

Does anyone know why there would be two different capacities?

Charlie Stephens

CWPASADENA 02-24-2018 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 1597483)
Does anyone know why there would be two different capacities?

Charlie Stephens

It may be because of the longer dwell time with the B distributor?

I have been told the grind on the B Distributor Cam is different than the A because they were trying to get more dwell time for better coil saturation and a hotter spark.

Chris W.

Synchro909 02-24-2018 10:34 PM

Just guessing here but I do know that the coil and condenser have to be matched or the points will burn out. Maybe Ford used a different coil with the B engine.:confused:

ursus 02-24-2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWPASADENA (Post 1597505)
It may be because of the longer dwell time with the B distributor?

I have been told the grind on the B Distributor Cam is different than the A because they were trying to get more dwell time for better coil saturation and a hotter spark.

Chris W.

If that is the case, then we better warn all the guys running B distributor cams in their Model A distributors. I find the claim of such a great difference in capacitance hard to believe as I have used both A and B condensers in my Model B distributors, with no noticeable difference. I've even used the early V-8 condensers, again with no noticeable difference.

Tom Wesenberg 02-25-2018 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian in Mississauga (Post 1597435)
I have a model B distributor that I want to try. I already have a B timing gear cover and an ignition cable that will work. I had planned to use a model A condenser from A&L. Here's the problem: I see from Vince Falter's site that the 2 condensers have different capacitances.(.20-.25 microfarads for the A and .45-.63 for the B). Is the A&L condenser still a good choice?

I wonder if the B reading is a misprint somewhere along the line?

All the ignition capacitors I know of are between .20 and .30 microfarads.

Bob Bidonde 02-25-2018 10:00 AM

The condenser absorbs the current spike that occurs in the primary coil winding when the points open and the field collapses. So the condenser is a match to the coil, not the points.

Typically, distributor coils use a 600V, 0.25-0.29 microfarad condenser.

CT Jack 02-25-2018 10:34 AM

They will both work. The B condenser will store 2 times more energy (more electrons) which might provide a slightly hotter spark. I am just guessing this because I have never seen any testing results to prove that the B distributor with a 0.5 microfarad condenser works better than a 0.25 condenser. BTW 1 microfarad = 1 X 10 to the minus 6th farands.

Synchro909 02-25-2018 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1597618)
The condenser absorbs the current spike that occurs in the primary coil winding when the points open and the field collapses. So the condenser is a match to the coil, not the points.

Typically, distributor coils use a 600V, 0.25-0.29 microfarad condenser.

Exactly right. That's why I guessed that because they used a different condenser, Ford might have used a different coil on the B engines.
FWIW,
A few years ago, I was building a replica 1920's Grand Prix car and I had bought a Bosch coil for it. I rang their technical department to find out what condenser should go with it. The young guy at the other end didn't have a clue what I was talking about but said that the "old guy" in the office might know. He'd ask and get back. To my surprise, he did ring back and was clearly amazed that the "old guy" knew without using a computer.:rolleyes:

ursus 02-25-2018 06:13 PM

My understanding is that, at some point, Ford no longer supplied the Model A-xxxx numbered coil as a replacement and directed the dealers to supply the Model B-xxxx coil for replacement in the Model-A. This would imply there wasn't much if any difference.

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-26-2018 10:31 AM

If the burned SPIKE is on 1 point, the capacity is TOO GREAT. If it's on the opposite one, it's TOO LITTLE. If NO SPIKE, IT'S JUST RIGHT!
Bill Scientific