The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   So, I have apparently blown head gasket (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303930)

daveymc29 09-16-2021 11:05 PM

So, I have apparently blown head gasket

The oil is full fo water and I will have to determine later why the gasket blew or if I have a crack somewhere. I'm hoping just a blown gasket and wondering what a good rinse for the block would be? Any suggestions? I plan to have the head to the machinist for magneflux and perhaps a bit of truing surface. The engine doesn't have 5000 miles since total rebuild by the boys in Oakdale so I'm still hoping just a blown gasket, clean up, relace and after a few passes with the torque wrench back to normal. 5.5 head. Gasket recommendation?

The "Ace" Mechanic, always open to learning.
Dave Mc Arthur

nkaminar 09-17-2021 05:23 AM

Re: So, I have apparently blown head gasket

Have you been re torquing the head bolts over the 5,000 miles? I think that is a maintenance thing.

I have had the best luck with the Best brand gaskets and the copper spray gasket sealer. I have tried all the others.

Besides the head, the block must also be flat without pits. I have had luck filling minor pits in the block with JB Weld and smoothing after it is cured with 400 grid sand paper wrapped around a flat file.

The block and head must be absolutely clean before assembly. I use acetone for the final wipe.

I hope you don't find any cracks.

Big hammer 09-17-2021 09:18 AM

Full of H2O and not antifreeze? If anti freeze you should check all of the bearings! To clean the oily watery mess WD40 would be my choice, it can be bought by the gallon.

daveymc29 09-18-2021 10:24 PM

Would have been nice. I now find that the third bore has a horizontal crack, perhaps an inch to inch and a half long just above the pistom dome when fully bottomed. The bore is one of two, .060 or .090. There is no descimal point so depending on how you look at it, could be either and I haven't miked it yet. I'd venture .090 over is too far to sleeve and bore back to .090 so I'm thinking it is back to stock or a better block. Any thoughts? My first thought is Terry's new engine.

The "Not" so Ace Mechanic.

Gene F 09-19-2021 08:12 AM

I'd say yes the new engine. I have never met an engine rebuilder that will bore and sleve an engine.

nkaminar 09-19-2021 09:57 AM

If you have the money I would certainly go with Terry's engine. In his latest news letter he said that he has other parts available now or soon including a 30 pound flywheel for the V8 clutch and a 6.5 head and a touring camshaft. The head will have the same look as stock from outside and have improved water flow for the #3 and #4 cylinder exhaust ports.

Oldgearz 09-19-2021 03:52 PM

A good cleanout after oil in antifreeze can be done with liquid dish soap, after the oil leak cause is fixed. Drain old antifreeze and replace with water and a quarter cup liquid dish soap. Run engine for 15 minutes until hot. Drain block and radiator (pull lower hose and open draincock. Repeat this process. After second drain, run engine with radiator draincock and engine draincock open and a hose with clean water running into the radiator top. Run motor until water coming out of draincock and radiator is clear. Messy...but works great. Refill with new antifreeze.

PepeLoco 09-19-2021 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldgearz (Post 2058160)
A good cleanout after oil in antifreeze can be done with liquid dish soap, after the oil leak cause is fixed. Drain old antifreeze and replace with water and a quarter cup liquid dish soap. Run engine for 15 minutes until hot. Drain block and radiator (pull lower hose and open draincock. Repeat this process. After second drain, run engine with radiator draincock and engine draincock open and a hose with clean water running into the radiator top. Run motor until water coming out of draincock and radiator is clear. Messy...but works great. Refill with new antifreeze.

I believe he mentioned that he has water in the oil.guess he is running water and not coolant.
I was also wondering how to clean the oil, other than change the oil.

Synchro909 09-20-2021 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene F (Post 2058025)
I'd say yes the new engine. I have never met an engine rebuilder that will bore and sleve an engine.

I've seen it done many times. In fact, I have 2 engines running that have been sleeved . When I was working in a restoration shop, we once had a Buick engine come in that was so badly corroded that we had to put a sleeve in a sleeve to get it going again. As far as I know, it is still going. Not that uncommon.
Note: The vendors sell sleeves so it must be done fairly frequently.

Bob C 09-20-2021 11:50 AM

I've also had a couple of sleeved engines with no problems. Just make sure they leave
a step at the bottom of the original bore so the sleeve can't move down.

katy 09-20-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldgearz (Post 2058160)
A good cleanout after oil in antifreeze can be done with liquid dish soap,.

Be sure and use the low sudsing type of detergent.