The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hole in water jacket (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257811)

mill48 01-18-2019 05:01 PM

Hole in water jacket

Hey guys, I have an issue here. I had a broken stud that tightens the manifold.
I drilled the nut out, but I drilled a little too far into the water jacket. Needless to say it leaks water or coolant. Has anyone had this problem? if so, how did you solve the issue? This is on a 1928 Model A.

Thanks in advance,
Melvin Miller

Synchro909 01-18-2019 05:58 PM

Re: Hole in water jacket

Hmm, I bet you regret doing that!! :mad:
I'm sure others will come up with ideas too but the first thing I would try is as simple as putting a dab of RTV silcone on the thread. Clean it up first. RTV silcone should seal the thread, withstand the heat and yet you will still be able to undo it later. The heat should not be too bad anyway seeing as how it is so close to the coolant.

nick c 01-18-2019 06:47 PM

Hard setting Permatex or jb weld.

Synchro909 01-18-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick c (Post 1717602)
Hard setting Permatex or jb weld.

That would probably work but I went away from something as hard and perminent as that because the stud may have to be removed at some time in the future, like an engine rebuild.

Mike V. Florida 01-18-2019 11:59 PM

I'd go with Synchro909's suggestion.

mill48 01-19-2019 02:57 AM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I will try the RTV Silicone first and let you know how it turns out. I already tried jb weld without success.

Dodge 01-19-2019 04:05 AM

Wrap a bunch of Teflon tape for plumbing fittings. Use enough that it’s a little bit of a tight fit as the tape is meant for tapered threads. It will seal it and be able to come out easy later.

roy green coupe 01-19-2019 09:19 AM

Try some of " the right stuff" by permatex on the threads.

Brendan 01-19-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1717627)
That would probably work but I went away from something as hard and perminent as that because the stud may have to be removed at some time in the future, like an engine rebuild.

why would you rebuild that block, it has a bad stud in the water jacket

Synchro909 01-19-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 1717750)
why would you rebuild that block, it has a bad stud in the water jacket

I see no reason not to rebuild that block if something as simple as a dab of RTV is enough to keep it going. Things are different over there but good blocks don't grow on trees here. I nearly cried when I was at Berts last year and saw some of the blocks they were rejecting. Sure, some were scrap but it wouldn't have taken much to bring some back into good service. It seemed to me that lots of good stuff is wasted over there but like I said, things are different.
The majority of the engines in my cars have at least one Helicoil and one has 5 of the head studs held by one (each). 30,000 miles and no sign of trouble and even if it did fail, it would still not be the end of the world.

mill48 07-22-2019 12:48 AM

Hello everyone. I am still stuck with this problem on my 1928 Model A. I have tried everything that I can think of. I can stop the leak from having drilled into the water jacket by using the "Right Stuff" by Permatex. My problem now is rethreading the bolt hole. I have tried filling the hole with JB Weld and even a metal filler and neither are strong enough for the tap and rethreading to hold. It seems to me that the best solution would be to have a welder drop some metal into the hole and drill and tap new threads for an insert or the bolt itself. The problem is, I cannot find a welder who is willing to work with cast iron welding. I am now considering drilling an oversized hole, tapping and inserting an oversized bolt, and then drilling into and tapping the bolt. My question to this group is do any of you know what's behind the walls of the inlet ports (not knowing the technical term)? I am talking about the four large holes where the inlet pipe connects. I don't want to drill and cause further damage after all. I started my car about two weeks ago, but since I could not get a proper torque, there was an intake leak and the engine ran hot. I need a permanent fix if anyone can help. Thanks in advance.

larrys40 07-22-2019 04:50 AM

I would carefully measure the depth of the hole vs the depth of the stud . Was a helicoil used? You could do a couple things.
One , use a small plug ( like a hardened threaded set screw) on the bottom end near the water jacket and install the plug first . When you install it use jb Marine as it will endure fluids better. Put in threads and end of plug liberally.
Then install stud with the same on the back side of the threads. You can use some other sealer like etc or right stuff in outer threads if you wish.

If you want it rebuilt later a torch on the stud will fix the fix if you know what I mean .
Be methodical and careful. Measure twice cut once !! (So to speak ) .
If you need to cut a few threads of the end of the stud to have enough that’s ok . The alternative option would be to forgo the plug at the back and put a very liberal amount in the hole and end of stud prior to install. The plug I would use is the hex set screw type. Be sure to match threads

Good luck !
Larry shepard

Synchro909 07-22-2019 06:09 AM

Helicoil if it hasn't already been done on that stud. Re read the last paragraph of my post at #10.

Railcarmover 07-22-2019 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Timesert is a stronger repair than a helicoil.

Kurt in NJ 07-22-2019 08:00 AM

http://castingrepair.locknstitch.com...rts-basic-kits
Look at lock-n-stitch threaded inserts, they have blind hole inserts that will block off the hole and fix it better than a helicoil,

mill48 07-22-2019 12:43 PM

Again, gentlemen, I figured how to stop the leak. I need to know what's on the side walls of the intake ports. I failed to mention that I have metal only on three sides of the bolt hole . That being the case, helicoil and keenserts will not work. Hence the consideration of an oversized hole and bolt. I just need to know what's behind the walls of the intake ports if possible.

Y-Blockhead 07-22-2019 01:27 PM

Can we get a picture or two so we can see what you're talking about and make an informed suggestion?

Bob C 07-22-2019 02:39 PM

Yes we need pictures. I can't see how an oversize bolt would work if an insert
will not work.

Bob

mill48 07-22-2019 03:18 PM

I don't know if you can see the pic clear enough to offer an informed opinion, but here it is. A heli coil or other insert will not work as there is solid metal only on three sides with the fourth side backing against the intake port. I need to know what's behind that wall before I drill further.

mill48 07-22-2019 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm having difficulty uploading my image.