The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A Tires (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288256)

Nick in Fayetteville 10-05-2020 07:51 PM

Model A Tires

AS luck would have it, I have two Model A's needing tires at the same time. That's ( 8) 19 inch tires, 8 tubes, and 8 rim liners. That's about $1700.00 as I figure it, without figuring tax and shipping. Would probably end up being over $2000.00. One car has Goodyear. The other Firestone. Question is: Has anyone used Universal or Lucas tires? I can get these for about half the price of Goodyear or Firestone. They are going on cars that don't get driven 1000 miles a year. Any good or bad experiences with either of these less expensive tires? Thank you.

DBSHELTON 10-05-2020 09:01 PM

Re: Model A Tires

I have one Model A with Universals and one with European Classics. Both about $110 each they ride and drive well. No problems. Both available with free shipping. Your tubes and liners may be fine to re-use.

Chris in WNC 10-05-2020 09:27 PM

CORRECTION: I just read your original posting more carefully.
Under 1000 miles per year?
Just shop price.

Tubes and liners? Look at your old tubes- if they are not cracked or splitting, re-use.
Most of my past tube failures were from being a cheapskate and running the rubber valves. The base of the valve was where they cracked.
Since I switched to original style metal valves, no more failure there.
Some older tubes are better quality than today's Chinese crap-ola.

Rim liners? I use Gorilla Tape.

"your results may vary"

McMimmcs 10-05-2020 09:33 PM

I have numerous antique cars all with GY and Firestone’s and the GoodYears have never let me down. Appearance and performance are great. But yes they are costly. Wayne

1931 flamingo 10-06-2020 07:40 AM

There's a post going on now about European Classic Tires...............109$ ea w FREE shipping.
Paul in CT

McMimmcs 10-06-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1938667)
There's a post going on now about European Classic Tires...............109$ ea w FREE shipping.
Paul in CT

This is your answer. Instead of your projected $2000 dollars it’s less than $900 including shipping. A dream come true for you!

JD 1931 10-06-2020 09:26 AM

Bought universals tires years ago for my 31 model a , they are just ok. Made in Vietnam and some guys will not buy them, did not know this until after I got them...

duke36 10-06-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD 1931 (Post 1938703)
Bought universals tires years ago for my 31 model a , they are just ok. Made in Vietnam and some guys will not buy them, did not know this until after I got them...

Had a similar experience with the Lucas $100 tires also made in Nam. The issue is many of the budget tires have nylon cord that can exhibit flat spots after prolonged sitting.Like others have posted, I've found that this requires some driving to heat them up and avoid a bumpy ride. Go with Polyester cord if possible.

Ruth 10-06-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke36 (Post 1938733)
Had a similar experience with the Lucas $100 tires also made in Nam. The issue is many of the budget tires have nylon cord that can exhibit flat spots after prolonged sitting.Like others have posted, I've found that this requires some driving to heat them up and avoid a bumpy ride. Go with Polyester cord if possible.

Really? I have Lucas tires and I have never noticed that. How long do they have to sit before the exhibit flat spots?

Ernie Vitucci 10-06-2020 10:53 AM

Good morning...I also have Lucas Tires that I bought at Arizona Model A for like $99.00 each. They are from Vietnam...they ride just fine and after 7 years and 9,000 miles I don't have any complaints...These tires were within my budget, most of the other tires were not...Ernie in Arizona

Charlie Stephens 10-06-2020 10:55 AM

Is it still correct that Bratton's is the only ones that carry good tubes?

Charlie Stephens

Purdy Swoft 10-06-2020 11:37 AM

I've had good results with the zig zag tread tires like Allstate , Garfield and others . These tires don't seem to ever wear out and I've never noticed a problem with flat spots . I've owned model A's for sixty years and counting .

Nick in Fayetteville 10-06-2020 04:02 PM

Thank you Guy for all the responses. I need to make a decision soon...Nick

duke36 10-06-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1938738)
Really? I have Lucas tires and I have never noticed that. How long do they have to sit before the exhibit flat spots?

I've been following this thread to see others' experiences. If the car sits for a week or 2, the tires retain a flat spot with only about 500 miles on them at 35 psi. When pushing the car forward a few inches, the car rolls back to the flat spots. It takes a few minutes driving for the flat spots and thumping to dissipate. Otherwise, they ride fine, look great and fit in the fender wells with 30 to 32psi.

Cpuckett 10-07-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick in Fayetteville (Post 1938553)
AS luck would have it, I have two Model A's needing tires at the same time. That's ( 8) 19 inch tires, 8 tubes, and 8 rim liners. That's about $1700.00 as I figure it, without figuring tax and shipping. Would probably end up being over $2000.00. One car has Goodyear. The other Firestone. Question is: Has anyone used Universal or Lucas tires? I can get these for about half the price of Goodyear or Firestone. They are going on cars that don't get driven 1000 miles a year. Any good or bad experiences with either of these less expensive tires? Thank you.

I put Lucas on mine with new tubes and liners. I thought they looked very nice. Will probably dry rot as I don’t drive it much. About 100.00 each plus tubes/liners

mhsprecher 10-08-2020 01:31 PM

My understanding is that the Bratton's tubes are good quality. I have no direct experience, however. I have Excelsior radials on my 30 and some old Garfields on my 28, fwiw.

RonC 10-10-2020 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 1938741)
Is it still correct that Bratton's is the only ones that carry good tubes?

Charlie Stephens

Yes

McMimmcs 10-10-2020 06:32 AM

I was told that Snyder’s carry exactly the same tubes!

Benson 10-10-2020 11:37 AM

I was told that Bert’s carry exactly the same tubes!

www.modelastore.com

Patrick L. 10-10-2020 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1938752)
I've had good results with the zig zag tread tires like Allstate , Garfield and others . These tires don't seem to ever wear out and I've never noticed a problem with flat spots . I've owned model A's for sixty years and counting .

Mine are about 40 yrs old and won't wear out. I'm not buying new ones until they do so I think I'll wear out before they do.