The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Carbon on plugs and piston tops (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287275)

Gezer 09-15-2020 04:40 PM

Carbon on plugs and piston tops

Would you suggest using Sea From cleaner to remove carbon?
Engine is a 51 EAB Flathead

Ronnieroadster 09-15-2020 06:58 PM

Re: Carbon on plugs and piston tops

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gezer (Post 1932005)
Would you suggest using Sea From cleaner to remove carbon?
Engine is a 51 EAB Flathead

The piston tops on some modern production engines and many after market performance pistons have a coating applied to them {which is an expensive process} that acts as an additional heat barrier.
Carbon on the top of the piston is actually a good heat barrier if its not creating a carbon knock I would leave it alone.
Ronnieroadster

tubman 09-15-2020 07:55 PM

I think we need a little more information from the O/P. Since a "51 EAB Flathead" is not a a factory combination, I think the O/P should provide us with a little more information about what he has.

Also, I fail to see what the reference to modern engines has any relevance here,

cadillac512 09-16-2020 09:52 PM

I believe Ronnie was likening the carbon buildup on a flathead piston and its attendant heat rejection qualities to the more recent application of modern coatings on pistons of later model engines.
Both serve a useful purpose as long as the carbon layer doesn't get too thick and cause interference problems or preignition.

Terry

40ford 09-17-2020 08:40 AM

Can you not try a little water down the carb with motor rpms up?

drolston 09-17-2020 02:22 PM

What 40ford said, except we always used kerosene. Dribble some into the carb at part throttle; as the engine sputters, jazz the throttle until it runs smoothly again. Repeat about 12 times.

tubman 09-17-2020 02:30 PM

To answer the O/P's question, a lot of folks I know (including myself) use Seafoam for this purpose. Just be prepared to really smoke up the area if you do it right. "drolston" has the technique about right, except the on last dose, we poured in enough to stall the engine out. Then let it sit for 10 minutes or so and restart it. That's when you get the billowing clouds of smoke. I don't know if kerosene works as well as Seafoam, as I have never used it. It certainly would be cheaper, though.

B-O-B 09-17-2020 03:57 PM

Back in the early 50s I ran kerosene in my A model. It ran pretty good just smoked a bit. Working for a dairy farmer for $20 & room & board didn't leave much & of course school. Had to milk the cows before school & clean out the stalls before school. No shower just change clothes & go. Must been really good perfume ha ha .