The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Stiff steering (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285774)

carguybill 08-18-2020 10:29 AM

Stiff steering

I haven't driven my '34 for over a year but when I did today the steering was very stiff. It's never been good but this is worse(or maybe It's because I'm a year older). The steering box has been filled with John Deere corn-head grease (or some name like that).

When i last worked on the car I was working on the brake system.

Any ideas or suggestions?

cas3 08-18-2020 11:05 AM

Re: Stiff steering

jack up the front end and grease the king pins. crank the steering wheel back and fourth lock to lock, then grease them again. while its up grab the top and bottom of a wheel and try and wiggle it to see if the king pin bushings, and or pins are shot.

Floyd 08-18-2020 11:06 AM

If the steering system is all stock, then the first culprit would be the rubber bushing up at the top of the column. When old, they become more of brake than a bushing. The only non-stock steering item I recommend is the bearing system that is made by the guy in MN or WI. (Bushard?) It is superior to any thing else like the cheap ones or the later pickups. I have them on my '40 and my '32. Very easy steering. Get the good one.
No, being one year older has no effect. Multiply that by some large number and then, maybe so.

drolston 08-18-2020 12:08 PM

The design of pre '37 steering boxes is notorious for getting stiff. Many replaced them with later type steering boxes.

carguybill 08-18-2020 01:02 PM

thanks Guys, Ill look into these suggestions.

Lanny 08-18-2020 10:58 PM

Do you run radial tires or bias tires ?
Radial tires steer a little harder than bias tires at slow speed.
Also make sure the air pressure is up to par in the front tires ;)

carguybill 08-21-2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floyd (Post 1921572)
If the steering system is all stock, then the first culprit would be the rubber bushing up at the top of the column. When old, they become more of brake than a bushing. The only non-stock steering item I recommend is the bearing system that is made by the guy in MN or WI. (Bushard?) It is superior to any thing else like the cheap ones or the later pickups. I have them on my '40 and my '32. Very easy steering. Get the good one.
No, being one year older has no effect. Multiply that by some large number and then, maybe so.

I am not familiar with the guy in MN or WI that has the bearing system that you mention. can anyone give me a lead?

Kens 36 08-21-2020 09:47 AM

Bill,

Dans contact information is
Dan Brusegard
Maple Grove, MN
763-533-9879
[email protected]

The bearing he sells is very well made, comes with great instructions, and worth every penny. I put one in my '36 and am very happy I did.

Ken

RKS.PA 08-21-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kens 36 (Post 1922456)
Bill,

Dan Brusegard
Maple Grove, MN
763-533-9879
[email protected]

The bearing he sells is very well made, comes with great instructions, and worth every penny. I put one in my '36 and am very happy I did.

Ken

2X on the replacement kit. Put it in my '39. Worth every penny and excellent installation instructions!!

carguybill 08-28-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kens 36 (Post 1922456)
Bill,

Dan Brusegard
Maple Grove, MN
763-533-9879
[email protected]

Ken

Thank you. I have asked him for more information.