The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   taking the drums off (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234503)

Topher5150 12-02-2017 06:01 PM

taking the drums off

Iam trying to get to drums off of my 47 coupe. I got the big center nut off. Is it just a matter of persuasion to get the drum off?

Brendan 12-02-2017 06:09 PM

Re: taking the drums off

you need good puller

RalphM 12-02-2017 06:12 PM

There are special pullers for this purpose, if they are in correctly, with no issues, they will be almost impossible to get off without some type of puller.
I have tried the cheaper ones, but they don’t always work as advertised.
The best is the KR Wilson model, or similar type. They prevent damage to the hub/ drum.

Topher5150 12-02-2017 06:31 PM

Ok thanks for the help

Mart 12-02-2017 06:42 PM

Type this into google: puller site:fordbarn.com

You should find plenty of threads dealing with this subject.

Were the nuts tight? Hopefully they were. If the nuts were tight do not try to get the drums off without the correct type of puller. Read the other threads. I use a puller sold by Vintage Precision. It has served me well.

Mart.

FortyNiner 12-02-2017 08:37 PM

I was able to remove the drums from my 46 without a puller. Just needed some minor tapping and patience. This presumes that the wheels turn - meaning that the brakes aren't locked.

GB SISSON 12-02-2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 1560123)

Were the nuts tight? Hopefully they were. If the nuts were tight do not try to get the drums off without the correct type of puller. Read the other threads. I use a puller sold by Vintage Precision. It has served me well.

Mart.

Vintage Precision has a beautifully machined puller. Unlike searching for an original KR Wilson second hand, this puller comes on the UPS truck and when you hold the components in your hands you know you have an extremely well engineered piece of equipment. I was going through some rusty parts trucks to find good drums and every one of them popped off effortlessly. 'Nuff said. Edit: I think it was about 135.00

cas3 12-02-2017 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the nice puller like GB show is a wonderful thing for sure, but if you are a tinkerer heres the contraption i made about 30 years ago and it has not failed me yet. i use the threaded shaft from one of my other pullers, welded a nut that thread to the tower (long nut-like for axle U bolts), cut the slot tight with a torch and ground it to a tight fit you have to hammer on. 1/2" plate hasnt bent or damaged the hubs

Topher5150 12-02-2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 1560123)

Mart.

The nuts????

cas3 12-02-2017 11:00 PM

i'm guessing here, "nuts" meaning both sides of the rear axle.

Mart 12-03-2017 05:05 AM

"Nuts."

By nuts I meant the axle nuts. One on each side. I just pulled two rear hubs on a newly acquired 41 pickup. One nut was loose, one was tighter but not really tight like they need to be. They both popped off easily and almost any puller would have been able to get them off.

By asking if the nuts were tight (before removing them) I was making the point that if they were properly tightened, only a good quality puller of the correct design would get them off without damaging something.

I was assuming both rear hubs would be removed.

Mart.

JM 35 Sedan 12-03-2017 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher5150 (Post 1560091)
Iam trying to get to drums off of my 47 coupe. I got the big center nut off. Is it just a matter of persuasion to get the drum off?

From the beginning of this thread, and after reading all the replies, I'm still not sure if Topher is removing front or rear drums/hubs from his 47, or maybe it's both. Always good to get all the details on exactly what you are trying to do.

Topher5150 12-03-2017 09:15 AM

To awnser the last two questions I was able to get one nut off the other is taking a PB blaster bath. These are the rear drums

JM 35 Sedan 12-03-2017 09:44 AM

Okay, when you said "big" center nut, my mind went to front drums that sometimes are difficult to remove because shoes are stuck to inner brake surface or there could be a ridge cut where the lining on shoes will not come over. On the rear drums, as others have mentioned, some will come off the tapered axle easily, while others will not budge unless you have a KR Wilson or equivalent type puller. I recently posted pictures on another thread of a KRW removing a drum that would not come off by any other means I had tried. Sometimes you must have the correct tool to get the job done, and in this case it is very important.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ight=KR+Wilson

19Fordy 12-03-2017 09:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Use this puller.

RKS.PA 12-04-2017 07:48 AM

As noted above, this topic stirs lots of conversation. I just removed the rear drum on my '47 for the first time. I have the KR Wilson repro. puller and I still had a heck of a time.

I couldn't help thinking as I was tapping and turning the puller nut with my "cheater" bar, what it must have been like back in the day at the Ford Service Departments when time was factor, and the damn thing wouldn't budge. Wonder if this job somehow got assigned to the "newer" guys in the shop?

Dick.

carguybill 12-04-2017 12:11 PM

I am going to remove my rear drums and will be using my soon to be ordered Vintage Rear Hub Puller. I see here folks saying that they are having difficulty even when using a quality puller. But I see no reference to using an air impact wrench on those stubborn bolts. Before I screw something up, is there a reason to not use an impact wrench?

JSeery 12-04-2017 12:24 PM

Which bolts are you referring to? There is a large nut that retains the drums, these shouldn't be that difficult to remove. The tool is to pull the drums off the tapered axles, no bolts involved.

19Fordy 12-04-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carguybill (Post 1560861)
I am going to remove my rear drums and will be using my soon to be ordered Vintage Rear Hub Puller. I see here folks saying that they are having difficulty even when using a quality puller. But I see no reference to using an air impact wrench on those stubborn bolts. Before I screw something up, is there a reason to not use an impact wrench?

I don't think it's a good idea to continually squeeze the trigger on an impact until the drum releases. If you do use an impact, just keep tightening in small increments a little at a time -letting the tension on the axle "set" -after which you can whack the puller with a large hammer to get the drum to "pop" off.
Some times you can let the drum "set" all night, during which time it may just release all by itself. PAY ATTENTION to make sure you don't damage your threads. I prefer to use a cheater bar for more control.

carguybill 12-04-2017 01:45 PM

Thank you 19Fordy. Excellent advice.