The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Suggestions for rattle can base color 34 woodgraining? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282275)

Digger 06-08-2020 04:42 PM

Suggestions for rattle can base color 34 woodgraining?

I used to be way into woodgraining, now I am lazy, but want to do the top “‘dash” strip in my Model A pick up.

Any suggestions for rattle can brand and color that is close to the original 1934 base color? Thanks

koates 06-08-2020 07:42 PM

Re: Suggestions for rattle can base color 34 woodgraining?

A medium shade maroon colour is what I have noticed on the backside of the 1934 dash panels. Regards, Kevin.

big job 06-09-2020 05:44 AM

Red oxide rattle primer can first, next thinned flat black cheap acid brush > now scratch the
black with brush your design, let dry and lightly go over with fine scotch bright then
clear coat. I wish I could show you, but I can not get pictures out of this stupid phone.
I read to plug phone with UBS cord to the PC ok nothing happens?? sam

PeteVS 06-09-2020 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big job (Post 1897128)
I wish I could show you, but I can not get pictures out of this stupid phone.

What kind of phone do you have? I have an iPhone and after I take pictures, they appear in the Photos app on my MAC. I simply drag them from the Photos app into a folder on my desktop and from there, I can post them online. (I usually have to shrink the image size so FordBarn will add them to my post.) (Also, if you're not using Apple stuff, I'm of absolutely no help.)

37 Cab 06-09-2020 06:26 AM

Big Job.. If I just want a few pictures from my phone and my computer is not close, I just email them to myself then save them when I am on the computer.

tubman 06-09-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37 Cab (Post 1897137)
Big Job.. If I just want a few pictures from my phone and my computer is not close, I just email them to myself then save them when I am on the computer.

This is what I do as well. Never a problem.

JSeery 06-09-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big job (Post 1897128)
I wish I could show you, but I can not get pictures out of this stupid phone.

Using the USB connection you need to find the phone files, then find the file containing the photos, then move the photos you want over to a file on your computer. I would really encourage you to learn how to do this and back up your photos often. One phone malfunction and they are all gone! I am sure there is information online that details how to do this for your model phone.

Digger 06-09-2020 10:53 AM

I have the training wheels and inks, just looking for the base color idea, and the rust co.ored primer may be perfect

Digger 06-09-2020 11:04 AM

“graining wheels”....not “training wheels”!! ��

big job 06-10-2020 05:44 AM

Thanks; what Tubman said is what I use to do, but 'that' don't work no more either, which
that was easy. Back to the subject- you can also use sharpies for details but the course
acid cheap brush works best. Keep in mind real wood has blemishes, not picture perfect
not like sign painting. Let dry overnight and the clear coat is the developer..sam

95476 06-10-2020 12:27 PM

Rustoleum Red Automotive Primer, black printers ink, brown printers ink, spray clear over it.
You can layer it you get the effect you want. Follow the directions on the can about recoating times. If you recoat too soon it can lift.
I have even used Minwax wood stain (mahogany) as a color.
Thin with mineral spirits so it won't lift the primer.

Digger 06-10-2020 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Going to use ACE red primer as the base coat, and the ‘34 Grain It Technologies walnut burl plate, will send photo when done

big job 06-11-2020 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digger (Post 1897869)
Going to use ACE red primer as the base coat, and the ‘34 Grain It Technologies walnut burl plate, will send photo when done

Thats what I'm talking about ....

Karl 06-11-2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digger (Post 1897869)

I used the Grain-It Burl plate . Because they can't ship spray cans internationally I matched the base coat off their colour charts and got the dash sprayed at a paint shop After I had done it all I realized I had not done the glove box hinge. I used red oxide primer as a base coat and looks exactly the same as the matched base coat at a fraction of the cost -Karl

Digger 07-11-2020 09:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is result using the Ace primer as base color

flathead48 07-12-2020 06:13 AM

Looks real good well done