The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   About gas filler screens (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206633)

Walt Ebie 10-10-2016 09:57 AM

About gas filler screens

I know filler screens probably aren't really necessary to screen today's gas, so I was wondering: were they a stock part on A's? Do most guys still use them? If it was a stock part that originally came on the car I'd probably get one just for that reason. I see them advertised as a 'flame suppressor' too but don't know how much value they would have there either. Thoughts?

SeaSlugs 10-10-2016 09:58 AM

Re: About gas filler screens

they are really a flame arrestor and should probably be used today - static discharge still does set cars on fire (modern)

Safewiz 10-10-2016 09:59 AM

coupe1942 10-10-2016 10:05 AM

I used to have a photo of Henry Ford dipping his lit cigar into a flame arrestor to show how well they worked. Unfortunately, I lost the photo because of a computer crash and never recovered it again. Somewhere in the Agooga photo archives which are never updated fully, that photo exists.

Me, I feel most would not have them due to rusty tanks and being eliminated by previous owners over the years. This is my fourth Model A and it didn't have such just like the other three I have owned.

With modern gas pumps, I suspect these flame suppressors become a nuisance to remove each time if they hamper using the more modern gas handle or somehow slow down the gas flow when in use. Just a guess on my part as I have not had any to contend with in any of the Model A's I have owned. Interesting, but even at the many car shows I have been at this year in Ok., the Model A's I have seen do not have them in the tanks either.

barnstuf 10-10-2016 10:53 AM

The screen does NOT have to be removed to put gas in the tank. My Model A's have always had the screen since new and in no way does it cause a filling the tank problem in my experience. In the time period when the Model A was new the gas station hoses were not grounded as they have been for many years now. The function of the screen was to prevent explosion (empty tank being filled) or fire (adding gas) if the tip of the nozzle made a spark as it was placed in the tank. Today having a fire is a remote possibility but I quote the old saying "It is better to be safe than sorry".

Big hammer 10-10-2016 10:59 AM

Check out service bulletins------ not a filter-----fire prevention!!!!!

SeaSlugs 10-10-2016 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnstuf (Post 1367428)
The screen does NOT have to be removed to put gas in the tank. My Model A's have always had the screen since new and in no way does it cause a filling the tank problem in my experience. In the time period when the Model A was new the gas station hoses were not grounded as they have been for many years now. The function of the screen was to prevent explosion (empty tank being filled) or fire (adding gas) if the tip of the nozzle made a spark as it was placed in the tank. Today having a fire is a remote possibility but I quote the old saying "It is better to be safe than sorry".

yup, it does happen occasionally. Modern hoses have a metal shield impregnated in the rubber that is supposed to be tied to ground so the fuel moving thru the hose doesnt build up a charge. Semi tankers often drag a strip on the road to do the same.

Thats why its best to ground yourself to the side of the pump while the other hand is touching metal of the car even before touching the pump handle as you can be a static charge and can set off a spark or the car itself can build up a charge as it drives. Im sure we have all been zapped when you get outa the car and touch the metal body or walking across carpet and touching a door knob.

Also while filling its best to keep the nozzle firmly against the metal tank hole. And when your filling portable gas cans to keep the nozzle against its rim as plastic has a tendency to build up a charge too.

Still amazes me the amount if people who leave the engine running while pumping gas or smoking while doing it....:mad:

Big hammer 10-10-2016 11:23 AM

To add, gas cans need to be on the ground,not in the bed of a truck with liners!

Chris H 10-10-2016 12:07 PM

The screen was missing from my car when I got it, so I added a repop. It is made of perforated steel, not a screen mesh. I don't know what the originals were made from. When I refill the tank, though, I just fill slowly. I can't set the nozzle to fill automatically, which is no problem. After all it is only going to take less than 10 gallons of gas. My only real issue is the splash back while filling. I usually cover with a paper towel to control it.

Mike V. Florida 10-11-2016 01:02 AM

I use mine and like it has been said fill slowly.

Marvin/TN 10-11-2016 02:35 AM

Mine has one but it is lying on the bottom of the tank, been there since I bought my 30 coupe back in 1957

C26Pinelake 10-11-2016 05:43 AM

i have one just in case it works. I wouldn't want a fire because I didn't have one. Wayne

mhsprecher 10-11-2016 06:00 AM

All the ones I have seen are perforated metal, not screen. I have them on both of my As. You probably cannot fill the tank as quickly with one in place, but that is probably a good thing.

CarlG 10-11-2016 01:06 PM

There was not one in my pickup when I bought it.

Chuck Sea/Tac 10-11-2016 03:37 PM

They're a great place to hide your extra keys. By the way ,Henry ford hated tabacco and alcohol.im amazed he would personally touch a cigar.

700rpm 10-11-2016 03:37 PM

They do make filling slower, but that's better than setting your car on fire. There is a gas neck extension advertised in the back of the Restorer every issue that raises the gas nozzle so you don't have so much backflow resistance. I have one for my 29 and it works pretty well.

Disclaimer: I personally know the maker of this item, but I have no financial interest in the business.

40 Deluxe 10-11-2016 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac (Post 1367980)
By the way ,Henry ford hated tabacco and alcohol.im amazed he would personally touch a cigar.

I wonder if Henry really did this, or if it's another of the countless ridiculous myths circulating about him.

coupe1942 10-11-2016 07:40 PM

It was a photo of him putting out the cigar in the spark arrestor and not necessarily smoking it for enjoyment. A publicity effort, but probably had little to do with his liking cigars or tobacco products. Just something to use for dramatic effect at that moment. I don't recall just who all was standing with him in the photo at the time and their significance, but it was more than one person, I believe.

I sure wish I still had the photo, but it was one of many that got lost in my computer crash at the time. I am almost certain that I did indeed post it at Ahooga many years back, but I have never found it or many others in the random photo display that is used at that site. I was always hoping that someone besides myself had seen it, too.

Mitch//pa 10-11-2016 07:46 PM

I haven't blown up yet without one

updraught 10-11-2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch//pa (Post 1368082)
I haven't blown up yet without one

I take it you smoke cigars.