The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1940 Deluxe condenser help (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270706)

redryder 10-10-2019 07:26 PM

1940 Deluxe condenser help

1 Attachment(s)
i just bought a 40 deluxe convertible and i need to replace the condenser(s). It might be a dumb question but are there two condensers (one with wire and one with metal strap). Also any recommendations on where to buy a quality replacement?

tubman 10-10-2019 07:46 PM

Re: 1940 Deluxe condenser help

The correct condenser is the vertical one on the right side of your picture; the one on the left side has been added, probably because the original failed. They most likely didn't remove the original because it is quite difficult to do without removing the coil.

Because of the problems with the replacement condensers with these cars, we are working on quality replacements for them. We have had good success with our replacement "Trash Can" condensers, and have been developing quality replacements for both the '32-'36 condensers and '37-'41 condensers. We have several test units in the field, and when we we are convinced that they are reliable, will be offering them to the general public. We are removing the "guts" from original Ford script condensers and replacing them with modern severe duty film capacitors. We have had a great deal of success with these in our "Trash Can" replacements, and expect these to be every bit as good.

Terry,OH 10-11-2019 05:44 AM

The vertical one is the ignition condenser the horizontal one is radio interference suppression. The ignition condenser is an aftermarket style. The original style does not use a metal arm going to the coil mounting screw for ground it uses a metal loop under the condenser going to one of the timing cover bolts.

tubman 10-11-2019 05:48 AM

Yep, you're right. I never had one with a radio.

4dFord/SC 10-11-2019 06:05 AM

NAPA IH-200 works well with flatheads.

marko39 10-11-2019 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redryder (Post 1808365)
i just bought a 40 deluxe convertible and i need to replace the condenser(s). It might be a dumb question but are there two condensers (one with wire and one with metal strap). Also any recommendations on where to buy a quality replacement?

Napa sells a FA49 which is a replacement. Notch the ring were it mounts on Dist. Bolt so you can slip it under bolt without having to remove bolt in future.Avoid nos. condensers as they go bad from age.

koates 10-11-2019 07:02 AM

Why do you need to replace the condensers ? Are they faulty and how did you test them ? They might be OK. Terry post # 3 is the correct info. The radio suppressor condenser has a different micro farad value to the ignition condenser. Regards, Kevin.

BUBBAS IGNITION 10-11-2019 08:11 AM

If the car is starting and running , leave it as is , likely the replacement is worse than the old one (if its working)....

deuceflathead 10-13-2019 10:10 AM

Fellas
I drove my 1941 Ford PU around Hershey this year. Thursday morning, I drove in Rt 39 from hotel. Traffic was heavy stop and go slow all the way. At light at Hershey Park Dr. truck shut off like I hit off swithch. No sputter or miss prior to. tried to start with no luck. pushed around corner and jump started. It started and ran fine the rest of the week. I run a one year old Skips rebuilt coil. Everything else is bone stock. Im blaming it on NOS condenser. Any thoughts?

tubman 10-13-2019 11:16 AM

I would be highly suspect of an "NOS" condenser. When we pull the guts out of one to install one of our new capacitors, the internal workings usually disintegrate in front of our eyes. We are careful removing them as we need to re-use the cases.

deuceflathead 10-13-2019 04:25 PM

I will check out that NAPA replacement and thank you for the response Tubman.