The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tow bar for light towing (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90466)

Car Pit 11-30-2012 12:52 PM

Tow bar for light towing

I'm still building up my collection of Model A support equipment and am pondering options for towing my A. I fully understand for the long road and higher speeds to get a full size trailer by rental or purchase. What I'm curious about is if a front mounted tow bar will work for short distance and lower speed towing. That seems awefully convenient for a spontaneous trip and I could get a pull home safely from most anyone if needed.

Any experience with that or advice?

Pete 11-30-2012 01:04 PM

Re: Tow bar for light towing

They were all there was for many years. They work fine.
With a second driver you can also use the towed car as a helper to get over the mountains or if the tow car breaks down.

grapp 11-30-2012 01:23 PM

Hey I have one I'd sell.... Came with a bunch of parts and cars I bought...

CarlG 11-30-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 543978)
They were all there was for many years. They work fine.
With a second driver you can also use the towed car as a helper to get over the mountains or if the tow car breaks down.

I remember "back in the day" that when my parents moved, we had to move the Model A with us. Tow bar was used, the kind that bolted to the front bumper brackets. When we got into the mountains, my dad had one of us kids (albeit underage) sit back in the Model A and use it's engine to help push things over the hills. If I remember correctly, he was towing it with a '50 Ford with a 6 cylinder engine.

[email protected] 11-30-2012 02:28 PM

I have an old tow bar that looks to be home made that was made to clamp onto the drag line in addition to the axle attachment allowing it to steer the Model A during towing. It works on the 28-29 with no problems but the 30-31's you have to remove the radiator apron to get the clearance. May not hurt to remove the front bumper as well.

I carry it under the rear seat in my Tudor on long tours. I personally have never needed it but it has been loaned out of several occasions. Reports back have been that it helped to keep the towed vehicle straight and works like a charm on sharp turns...

Louis 11-30-2012 02:34 PM

I bought a universal tow bar from harbor freight, I did have to make some minor mod's on it, it clamps to the bumper, I carry it on the floor in the rumble seat area
[31 coupe] That way any friend with a bumper hitch can tow it, I have not had to use it yet, before I bought it I did have to tow it home, maybe 4 miles, I used a rope on one of the bumper bracket's, tow speed was 15-20 mph on back roads, I rode the breaks, no problem, after that I bought the tow bar.
My advice would be to buy a tow bar, but for use on short distance tow's and at low speeds.

Kevin in NJ 11-30-2012 03:52 PM

The tow bars can work for long distances no problem, well except for that law stuff. I know my family flat towed several early Fords 8 to 10 hours at speed. The transmissions do not blow up.

In many areas they have laws against towing unless there are brakes functioning on the towed vehicle. Some states it is ok and others it is not. Just because your state allows it does not mean you can tow through a state that does not allow it. I know the cops look for it.

Look up for towing rules on the net for more info.

oliverguy 11-30-2012 04:04 PM

My parents towed a 79 toyota truck from PA to CA and back behind a ryder truck when I was a kid. The tow bar is still sitting in my parents basement, where it's been for the last 25 years. I don't think they could afford to rent the trailer.

denis4x4 11-30-2012 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, you don't have to tie down the steering wheel! The front end won't fall apart when you drill holes in the axle and forget about disconnecting the steering! This is the same tow bar I used to haul a Jeep from San Diego to Telluride and back for years. Don't forget, the dry lake racers used Ford wishbones to make tow bars to haul race cars over the Grapevine before WWII!

When I take a vehicle in for service, I haul the roadster so that I don't have to inconvenience my wife for a ride.

SLPreston53 11-30-2012 04:48 PM

I have used a modified VW towbar many times, no problems.

green30coupe 11-30-2012 04:49 PM

I have used a VW tow bar for short slow speed trips. (mostly to get across town to another shop) I keep one around "just in case" of a local breakdown. Fits right on an A axle and the car follows without the steering wheel being tied, disconnecting the drag link, or anything. Just attach it and go. A cheap set of magnetic towing lights from Harbor Freight will work for you. I never backed up or went faster than about 35 or so.

Ed

Louis 11-30-2012 05:12 PM

Ed,
Was the VW tow bar you towed your A model with for the older VW or the 1970 and newer ? I know the bug changed their frt. end in 1971 I think, and used a diff. tow bar then the 1970 and older model's. Thanks.

green30coupe 11-30-2012 06:28 PM

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/data:i...KKKKACiiigD//Z
This is the type I have. (not sure the picture posted) As far as I know the same tow bar will fit a regular beetle, Karman Ghia or Thing. The Super Beetle takes a different tow bar. The one that can be used for an A slips up on to the axle and is held in place by a heavy pin with a hairpin clip through it on each side.

Charles Coe 11-30-2012 07:08 PM

Back in the 60s the previous owner of my 31 SW sedan towed it from California to Florida. I've also towed it 300 miles a couple of times at 55 to 60 mph with no apparent problems. I disconnect the drag link since most As I've towed follow better with the steering disconnected.

glenn in camino 11-30-2012 08:13 PM

Towing an A by the bumper is not safe unless you have original bumper clamps.

Mike V. Florida 11-30-2012 10:41 PM

The one I used hung from the bumper but was chained to the axle.

Charles Coe 11-30-2012 11:08 PM

Mine attaches to the bumper and bumper arm together over the clamps. But it was built for a Model A by an elderly gentleman in our club back in the 70s.

Jordan 11-30-2012 11:34 PM

My grandparents used a homemade tow bar multiple times when the car would break down unexpectedly or when they would move and need to tow the Model A. However, they did try to always have one of them ride in the Model A if it was on a tow bar just incase it came off the bar (which one time it did).

Drive Shaft Dave 12-01-2012 12:16 AM

A friend of mine's elderly uncle had a tow bar he made for an A and was given to me. I modified it so that it would clamp around the axle. Used it to tow an A chassis about 75 mile , worked great.

Car Pit 12-03-2012 01:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Great feedback, and as always... Thanks.

I picked up a tow bar from Harbor freight with the thought that I could interchange the front bumper clamps with the bar mounting bracket. This way one bolt hole would already be provided and I would only have to get creative on securing the second bolt to the support. Do you guys think the bumper supports are forgiving enough to allow towing like this or would they yield out of their original position? Photos attached for reference of the positioning...