The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Draglink has a slight kink in it. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269609)

NZ28ModelA 09-17-2019 05:40 PM

Draglink has a slight kink in it.

Hi Fellow Model A drivers!

I have just started the process of rekitting my draglink and tierod ends and replacing the worn balls. I was pleasantly surprised how easily they both came off.
One thing I have noticed is my draglink has a slight bend in it. Is it supposedly to be bent?
Oh, and its RHD.. Not sure if that matters..

Thanks for your assistance with this..

Kindest regards

Steve

wensum 09-17-2019 06:20 PM

Re: Draglink has a slight kink in it.

I have a couple of slightly bent drag links, I think the tyre rubs against them on full lock?

Synchro909 09-17-2019 07:38 PM

It should be straight but as Wensum says, they often get a nudge from a tyre and end up with a bend. Just straighten it and drive on is my advice. Oh, and adjust the steering stops so the tyre doesn't hit the drag link. You might have to put a washer under the nut on the cotter pin that holds the king pin on the RHS.

NZ28ModelA 09-17-2019 09:57 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.. Roll on summer!! :)

Greg Stokes 09-17-2019 11:27 PM

Im looking forward to getting our 30 closed cab on the road for summer here in New Zealand. Hope to catch up with some of you?

NZ28ModelA 09-18-2019 06:45 PM

Work is just 20mins away and I love driving the open cab to work every sunny day I can!
Roll on Summer!! :)

updraught 09-18-2019 07:28 PM

I thought they mysteriously ended up bent "upwards" in the middle to stop the rub on the tie rod, after the suspension sags?

NZ28ModelA 09-18-2019 08:49 PM

Hi Updraught,

Yeah I wondered if it had been hitting the Tierod. i have attached a pic of it. Its actually got quite a notch taken out of it too. I should've seen where it matched up when fitted. I will give it a quick straighten in the vice and keep an eye on it at lock to lock when I refit it.

Thanks for the advice

kindest regards

Steve

rosenkranswa 09-20-2019 09:10 AM

I have a '29 Roadster that had the kink in the drag link when we bought it 28 years ago. Never effected the steering and seemed intentional. No marks in the paint, or link itself. The kink makes the link pull exactly parallel to the frame rail. Given the robustness of the drag link, you'd have to hit the steering stops pretty hard to bend it I would think.

I've never found any references regarding modification of the drag link this way, or why it might have been done, but I've seen enough of them now to wonder if it was an intentional modification back in the day. Certainly not factory, probably not dealer, not sure where or why it might have been done.