The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Clutch Problem (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291805)

Nomadtrebor 12-19-2020 07:45 AM

Clutch Problem

I recently acquired a 1928 Model A pick up. 90% very nicely restored.
Discovered a problem with the clutch - It doesn't seem to have much if any spring to it. neither way, up or down. does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Patrick L. 12-19-2020 07:51 AM

Re: Clutch Problem

Does it work ?
Is there proper free=play ?
Crawl under and check the arm for a crack while someone pushes the pedal.

Kurt in NJ 12-19-2020 09:32 AM

take cover off bellhousing under floorboards , it could have multi disc clutch, later model A clutch, or some other modern one ---post a picture of what is inside and you will get a better answer

J Franklin 12-19-2020 02:11 PM

I'll put my money on a good working multi-disc type. If it does the job just take good care of it.

Gene F 12-19-2020 07:50 PM

I took my multi-disc out. The thing worked great. Been sitting on my workbench ever since.

Nomadtrebor 12-20-2020 06:15 PM

OK, I have clutch pedal spring now. I found that the Pressure plate fingers were not adjusted to spec. But, even with that i still do not have a Properly working clutch. My new question is: should the throw-out bearing be in constant contact with the pressure plate fingers ? I set the fingers to within 20 thousandths of the throw-out bearing. When I fully depress the clutch and try to shift into any gear, the gears grind like crazy. The only thing i can think of at this point is that the pressure plate is not pushing hard enough on the clutch disk.
Again, should the Throw-out bearing be in contact with the pressure plate fingers at all times ?

Synchro909 12-20-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomadtrebor (Post 1964972)
OK, I have clutch pedal spring now. I found that the Pressure plate fingers were not adjusted to spec. But, even with that i still do not have a Properly working clutch. My new question is: should the throw-out bearing be in constant contact with the pressure plate fingers ? I set the fingers to within 20 thousandths of the throw-out bearing. When I fully depress the clutch and try to shift into any gear, the gears grind like crazy. The only thing i can think of at this point is that the pressure plate is not pushing hard enough on the clutch disk.
Again, should the Throw-out bearing be in contact with the pressure plate fingers at all times ?

No. That's why there is supposed to be that 1" or so freeplay in the pedal.
It sounds as though you have other issues in there. Adjusting the fingers in the car is a PITA but it can be done. This won't be well received but the easiest way to be reasonably sure you have it right, take the engine or gearbox out.
Others will chime in, I'm sure.

Ruth 12-20-2020 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomadtrebor (Post 1964972)

No. You should have ~1" free play at the pedal.

Has the truck been sitting awhile? Maybe the disk is stuck to the plate?

Patrick L. 12-20-2020 07:59 PM

No, the bearing should not be in contact with the fingers when pedal is not depressed.

How much pedal free-play is there ? Should be in the 1-1.5" range.

What style clutch do you have ? How many fingers on the pressure plate ?

If you adjusted the finger height in the vehicle then I doubt the finger height is where it should be. And the finger height should be within .002" within each other.

I agree that it appears now as thought the pressure plate fingers need to be set on the work bench. I think its best the remove the rear end and transmission.