The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hershey rules (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228004)

jhowes 08-30-2017 07:42 AM

Hershey rules

I am going to Hershey for the first time but since I am 81 years old I have been forced into using an electric motor scooter. Does Hershey have some rules governing the use of these at the meet. Some have said that I need a handicapped form of some sort ar register the scooter. Does anyone know? Jack

29spcoupe 08-30-2017 08:02 AM

Re: Hershey rules

You have to show a handicap card for your car. They will give you a tag to put on your scooter. They issue them up near the stadium.

JDupuis 08-30-2017 08:16 AM

You may need to add a soda can on a string, to drag on the ground. This way everyone should hear you coming, and hopefully clear a path for you to drive. This is what I witnessed everytime I've been to Hershey. Have a good time. :) Jeff

jhowes 08-30-2017 12:40 PM

Thanks Jeff. I am thinking of adding an aooga horn to my scooter. I want to walk around not be confined to this contraption. Jack

CarlG 08-30-2017 01:33 PM

Are scooters for rent at Hershey?

1931 flamingo 08-30-2017 02:44 PM

YES BUT it would be wise to reserve one in advance. When I went two years ago I started to walk and knew that wasn't going to work. Went back and the girl said I got the LAST one ! ! ! ! Well worth the exorbitant amount they charged.
Paul in CT

Ted Duke 08-31-2017 11:54 AM

As an old dude still able to walk, although not like the old days, I STRONGLY suggest the can on a string so I hear you coming. Been blind-sided more than once by a "silent menace" and the can does work. Enjoy!

P. S. Hope I can make a day or two this year.

Barry B./ Ma. 08-31-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1520547)
YES BUT it would be wise to reserve one in advance. When I went two years ago I started to walk and knew that wasn't going to work. Went back and the girl said I got the LAST one ! ! ! ! Well worth the exorbitant amount they charged.
Paul in CT

Yes Paul and I rember chewing on a turkey drum stick while sitting on your cart. Can't beat that! That was a good time and great to see you.Seems like yesterday.
Barry

JOHN CT 08-31-2017 01:00 PM

I still enjoy walking around looking at as much rust as I can see, while I can What I have done to keep the traffic moving along is to play the prerecord can on a string noise from my iPhone :). The people part like I was Noah parting the Red Sea. Just having Fun.
I just hope for good weather!!

How many people here remember the Hershey mud ?

30 Tudor 08-31-2017 01:05 PM

Moses,,Moses parted the red sea,,

Noah only parted his hair!

JOHN CT 08-31-2017 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Tudor (Post 1520907)
Moses,,Moses parted the red sea,,

Noah only parted his hair!

You're right I wasn't very religious guy

Pickupman 08-31-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhowes (Post 1520494)
Thanks Jeff. I am thinking of adding an aooga horn to my scooter. I want to walk around not be confined to this contraption. Jack

With an aooga horn you'll probably offend a lot of people. That's why it was suggested to uses a tin can or aluminum can tied to your scooter dragging on the payment so people can hear you coming. You'll make a lot more mileage this way.

Tom Wesenberg 08-31-2017 05:08 PM

A string of jingle bells would work.
I remember when some kids would put one in the shoe string of each shoe.

1931 flamingo 08-31-2017 05:22 PM

When I met my future wife during the summer of Woodstock she was wearing an ankle bracelet with bells, and moccassins ;):):):):D
Paul in CT

Big hammer 08-31-2017 05:52 PM

Kids put playing cards on their bike wheels, maybe something like that would work? The faster you move the more rhythmic noise! Please forgive me/us if we don't hear you and don't get out of your way. Just had a brain fart, how about a spring dragging on the ground or on a tire/ wheel?

Can anyone else come up with a better solution?

Pickupman 08-31-2017 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 1521066)
Kids put playing cards on their bike wheels, maybe something like that would work? The faster you move the more rhythmic noise! Please forgive me/us if we don't hear you and don't get out of your way. Just had a brain fart, how about a spring dragging on the ground or on a tire/ wheel?

Can anyone else come up with a better solution?

A tin can or two has been used for years and has had great results:D

pat59 09-01-2017 10:58 AM

I think an Ahooga horn might get you a sore nose. :)

noboD 09-01-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat59 (Post 1521305)

SO will the tin can!

Mark W. 09-01-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat59 (Post 1521305)

It's a better idea than a Wolf Whistle...

Kurt in NJ 09-01-2017 03:25 PM

5 or more years ago I read the rules bored waiting for the rain to stop, if you rented from them it includes insurance, if you brought your own you needed proofs of insurance for some high amount--- what it is now I don't know