The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   '40 Ford Conv. door latch springs (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230714)

Kube 10-07-2017 05:48 PM

'40 Ford Conv. door latch springs

Does anyone know where I can purchase CORRECT door latch springs? I am attempting to rebuild my latches but can't seem to find any that are correct.

Thanks in advance...

nelsb01 10-07-2017 05:56 PM

Re: '40 Ford Conv. door latch springs

Have you tried Restoration Specialties out of Ohio.
Their catalog has lots and lots of stuff for doors.
And they state: If you have a sample of what you are looking for, contact us so we can check our inventory.
Found them at Hershey this year.

Ken/Alabama 10-07-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1536360)
Does anyone know where I can purchase CORRECT door latch springs? I am attempting to rebuild my latches but can't seem to find any that are correct.

Thanks in advance...

I'll check my stash, I had some once upon a time when I was doing my convertible. Can you post a pic of the correct spring you need?

Kube 10-07-2017 06:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama (Post 1536366)
I'll check my stash, I had some once upon a time when I was doing my convertible. Can you post a pic of the correct spring you need?

I have my fingers crossed!
Here's a photo of both the upper and lower springs. Ultimately, I'll need two of each.

flatmotor40 10-08-2017 04:50 AM

Ran into this when I did mine.Ordered a set from Drake,and other vendors and none were for the conv.They all aid it was for it but not.Found a set from a scrape hinge one a man had.Heny made the conv different.

Kube 10-08-2017 08:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by flatmotor40 (Post 1536483)
Ran into this when I did mine.Ordered a set from Drake,and other vendors and none were for the conv.They all aid it was for it but not.Found a set from a scrape hinge one a man had.Heny made the conv different.

You are of course 100% correct. I've run in to this with each convertible I've restored. Makes me wonder why the vendors continue to wrongly list these springs. Attached is a photo of what they insist are the correct springs. It doesn't take a trained eye to rapidly spot the major inconsistencies.

Kurt in NJ 10-08-2017 09:01 AM

The springs can be found in assortments, but most times not by listings, I solved my problems on my 36 ----will Dennis Carpenter solved them, in their "NOS" sales tent at Hershey I found NOS latches one year for little more than the cost of springs ---the 36-39 conv seadn latches are the same as 40 conv with the exception of the linkage rod

rotorwrench 10-08-2017 09:44 AM

Fabricating springs is a challenge but sometimes a necessity if you can't find good or NOS stuff. I've fabricated different types of springs for gun internal parts so I know how difficult it can be. If you find one that is close in size and load capability, that would save some time in fabrication or modification. I sure can't help with finding any you need.

TagMan 10-08-2017 03:44 PM

I went through a couple of boxes of new springs I have, but nothing for a '40 convertible - sorry

Ken/Alabama 10-08-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1536379)
I have my fingers crossed!
Here's a photo of both the upper and lower springs. Ultimately, I'll need two of each.

I'll be back in shop tomorrow and will check on them.

Kube 10-09-2017 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama (Post 1536775)
I'll be back in shop tomorrow and will check on them.

My fingers remained crossed :)

bobwellsnoveltyshop 10-09-2017 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey, Kube, I will look again tomorrow and see if there are any other springs up over the other garage.
Found these but their to early.
BILL

Kube 10-09-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobwellsnoveltyshop (Post 1537327)
Hey, Kube, I will look again tomorrow and see if there are any other springs up over the other garage.
Found these but their to early.
BILL

Thanks Bill. I DO appreciate the help you and others have thus far provided. I still have my fingers crossed :)