The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Front Spring Perch Removal (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209360)

DJ S 11-18-2016 09:34 PM

Front Spring Perch Removal

I'm entirely rebuilding my front axle and now I've gotten to the point where I need to remove the front spring perches. One came out no problem but the other one won't budge. It looks like someone has been at this before and the threads are slightly mushroomed. I've been soaking it with PB blaster and have applied heat from a propane torch but nothing seems to be doing anything. Any suggestions and is there any hope in saving the slightly mushroomed threads?

larrys40 11-18-2016 11:15 PM

Re: Front Spring Perch Removal

try and get the nut back on and make it flush with the end of the perch thread. I would soak it very good with Kroil penetrant, or Gibbs.. Sometimes they are difficult to remove. I recently had one that was a challenge and managed to save everything. It took quite a bit of soaking, and I applied heat to the area around the axle where the purch is several times. It finally came. I use a large brass hammer so it doesn't damage the threads so much. There is a special press type puller made by snap on ( you must have the correct adapter type) that can be used as well if obtainable.

Soak a lot, heat if need be.. and keep at it systematically. It will come out. Inspect the axle and wishbone well for straightness on both once removed.

Best wishes for removal!
Larry Shepard

700rpm 11-18-2016 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrys40 (Post 1387023)
try and get the nut back on and make it flush with the end of the perch thread. I would soak it very good with Kroil penetrant, or Gibbs.. Sometimes they are difficult to remove. I recently had one that was a challenge and managed to save everything. It took quite a bit of soaking, and I applied heat to the area around the axle where the purch is several times. It finally came. I use a large brass hammer so it doesn't damage the threads so much. There is a special press type puller made by snap on ( you must have the correct adapter type) that can be used as well if obtainable.

Soak a lot, heat if need be.. and keep at it systematically. It will come out. Inspect the axle and wishbone well for straightness on both once removed.

Best wishes for removal!
Larry Shepard

Isn't there risk to the temper of the axle by applying heat?

larrys40 11-19-2016 01:14 AM

You guys can think so but honestly you do what you have to do to get it out... and I've never had a problem with an axle breaking (LOL)in two or even bending because of it. Many things get overthought....
Of course you can use a press if they have one but have to be careful as well.
Ray, have you ever removed a difficult one?
Larry

Mike V. Florida 11-19-2016 01:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 700rpm (Post 1387032)

King pin would just not come out.

larrys40 11-19-2016 01:22 AM

good one Mike... it must have fell out on one of the twists? Was this one of the original demonstrator axles?
Larry

Mike V. Florida 11-19-2016 01:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by larrys40 (Post 1387065)
good one Mike... it must have fell out on one of the twists? Was this one of the original demonstrator axles?
Larry

That was what I was told,

Tom Wesenberg 11-19-2016 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1387064)
King pin would just not come out.

That's what happens when the brake locks up on one side.:D

700rpm 11-19-2016 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrys40 (Post 1387062)
You guys can think so but honestly you do what you have to do to get it out... and I've never had a problem with an axle breaking (LOL)in two or even bending because of it. Many things get overthought....
Of course you can use a press if they have one but have to be careful as well.
Ray, have you ever removed a difficult one?
Larry

I've been lucky; I've only had one really tight one. I soaked it with PB, then reversed the nut and gave it a few good whacks and it came loose.

Bob C 11-19-2016 01:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 700rpm (Post 1387032)

Ever wonder how they make a dropped axle.

bbrocksr 11-19-2016 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ S (Post 1386982)
I'm entirely rebuilding my front axle and now I've gotten to the point where I need to remove the front spring perches. One came out no problem but the other one won't budge. It looks like someone has been at this before and the threads are slightly mushroomed. I've been soaking it with PB blaster and have applied heat from a propane torch but nothing seems to be doing anything. Any suggestions and is there any hope in saving the slightly mushroomed threads?

No heat. I welded 2 short pieces of flat bar with 5/8 holes to a 6' length of 1 1/2" pipe. Put a 5/8 bolt through the 2 pieces of flat bar and the shackle bushing hole and tighten securely. Now you have 6' of leverage to rotate the perch bolt back and forth using a lot of penetrating oil until loose enough to tap out.
I built this tool because I had a lot of front axles to disassemble and I didn't want to use heat. Worked good! Bill

zzlegend 11-19-2016 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A guy I know brought his axle and wishbone assemble over to me and I used my 5 ton hydraulic press and had to add a little heat to get them out.
Cant remember who made this but I might make one next time. Worth a try.

Big hammer 11-19-2016 06:21 PM

Thats a cool looking tool!! Tools are good
DJ S this might be a good time to try the suck candle wax up in axle bushing, someone posted a u-tube link last week. Let us know how,when you get it apart :-)

Tom Wesenberg 11-19-2016 09:18 PM

Yep, that is a great looking tool. It's always better to pull than to push a stuck part, if possible, and that looks like the perfect tool for the job.

zzlegend 11-19-2016 09:26 PM

If any body can make one, that would be you Tom. :) And yes, pulling would be much better than pushing. I think I seen this on the hamb some time ago. Hope who ever made it doesn't mind if I borrowed the picture. :confused: