The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Loss of Hot Rod Deluxe (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275735)

alanwoodieman 01-21-2020 06:39 PM

Loss of Hot Rod Deluxe

Got a letter in the mail that said Tens Publishing Group was suspending publishing about 22 plus titles and offering up a lot of crap online to compensate for loss of subscription. This sucks royally-I for one could care less about online crap!!

JSeery 01-21-2020 07:11 PM

Re: Loss of Hot Rod Deluxe

This is the wave of the future whether we like it or not. Printed formats are falling like flies.

PeterC 01-21-2020 07:11 PM

I feel your frustration! - I was very lucky to get the 35 Coupe featured in the Nov 2019 addition - I think that was the last or 2nd to last magazine before closing!:eek:

56 ranch 01-21-2020 08:11 PM

I got the same letter about my Street Rodder subscription. I didn't like the options either, so I sent them an email and told them they owed me an extension on my Hot Rod subscription. They have agreed to do that. I hope Hot Rod survives.

mercman from oz 01-21-2020 08:44 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1579657330
Read all about the demise of dozens of titles of dedicated car magazines on this Link.
https://patganahl.com/2020/01/06/the-magazine-massacre/

woodiewagon46 01-21-2020 09:00 PM

It's the way of the future. Even my daily newspapers are now a shell of what they once were. When I was a boy I came home from school and delivered the evening edition of the newspaper. I can't imagine two newspapers on the same day anymore.

petehoovie 01-21-2020 09:20 PM

Sad, the demise of the printed media...:(

alanwoodieman 01-21-2020 09:42 PM

I could care less about the 3000 hp , turbo charged fire breathing monsters that are in HOT Rod Magazine. who can afford that crap? I have subscribed to HRM for over 50 years but would not pay for another one especially since the loss of anything interesting to me that used to be in it. I guess it was a clue to the demise when they could not even put a beauty queen picture in the magazine.

40 Deluxe 01-22-2020 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1844042)
This is the wave of the future whether we like it or not. Printed formats are falling like flies.

In a sense, no one to blame but ourselves! Ask yourself: "Where have I been getting my parts, from a Magazine ad, or off the internet?" When we quit patronizing the companies that advertise in the mags, they either quit advertising or demand lower rates. Same with newspapers: People don't seem to want wait until the next morning to read the complete story of a current event, one that was most likely fact-checked, at least to some extent. Instead they want instant "news", no matter how poorly written by some juvenile pot smoking goofball pretending to be a journalist!

Bill S 01-22-2020 06:49 AM

Journalist are a thing of the past. Same true news. Its all slanted.

Frank Miller 01-22-2020 07:29 AM

If you could care less about on line crap then why are you here? We get information - bothe good and bad but nothing new there - in the blink of an eye. The internet is like a huge encyclopedia or magazine with the easiest to use index known to man. We are lucky for Ryan who keeps this stuff coming.
Your subscription to any print media has historically been paid for by advertisers. It is no longer as effective marketing tool as it used to be. It's the payoff.

Merc Cruzer 01-22-2020 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used to get Legendary Ford from a book store in the city (Denver), then they went digital and are now gone.

RalphM 01-22-2020 09:53 AM

I’ve also noticed Hemings is getting thinner than it used to be.

woodiewagon46 01-22-2020 11:03 AM

Alan, right you are about Hot Rod Magazine. I stopped reading when it couldn't decide whether it was a Hot Rod, Road and Track, Car Craft, Go Kart, 4 x 4, Muscle Car or a Speedboat magazine.

Gary troxel 01-22-2020 11:27 AM

Totally agree with you !

alanwoodieman 01-22-2020 11:57 AM

how about the total scam of a paid for subscription being just cut off and no offer of a refund? did they file chapter 11? 7? how many people were out of a job?

Kruzn40 01-22-2020 12:09 PM

No scam. TEN Publishing is still in business and, according to what I have read on other sites, if you contact them and ask for a refund of the unused part of the subscription, they will cheerfully comply.

V8COOPMAN 01-22-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanwoodieman (Post 1844221)
how about the total scam of a paid for subscription being just cut off and no offer of a refund? did they file chapter 11? 7? how many people were out of a job?

This is the way it has happened for every mag title that went tits-up over the years for me. At best, they say that they'll send the remainder of your monthlies as a subscription to "Basket Weavers International" or "Tiddly-Winks Journal". Now-a-days, everything is about the HEREAFTER....it's only your money that they're HERE AFTER. Did someone mention that "Street Rodder" is now gone also? I had no idea. DD

40 Deluxe 01-22-2020 01:09 PM

The beauty of a print magazine is that you can read it at your leisure. Reread that last paragraph if you need to. Read it from back to front if you like! (Ever turn to the inside back cover first?) Hard to do with a computer! Ever roll your magazine up and swat that pesky fly? Even harder to do with a computer! Seems a lot of online content is just blather to add viewing time and get more money.

sidevalve8ba 01-22-2020 01:26 PM

Also I find print magazines much more suitable for "the reading room". Somehow a laptop just doesn't work as well in there for me! :rolleyes: