The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Spare Generator (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203405)

Divco one 08-27-2016 06:58 PM

Spare Generator

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up a generator to use as a spare. It has two wires instead of a stud. Can anybody tell me the proper way to hook it up.

Tom Wesenberg 08-27-2016 07:48 PM

Re: Spare Generator

Move each wire to see where it connects inside. The wire that connect to the field winding goes under the cutout mounting screw and supplies the ground for the field coils. The other wire connects to the output brush and should be screwed to the cutout input terminal.

Divco one 08-28-2016 05:57 AM

Thanks Tom

Charlie Stephens 08-28-2016 11:35 AM

Just a bit of trivia. Although the generator will work fine on a Model A it is from a '33-'34 four cylinder Ford. You can tell this from the chamfer on the back of the case and the rear plate. I assume the front plate is a casting and not a stamping? Inside of the front plate you will probably find a "46" part number.

Charlie Stephens

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-28-2016 12:01 PM

These generators are quite common. I have a left over one, from when I put a 6 Volt alternator on Minerva. It's in PERFECT condition.
Bill Hoarder

Charlie Stephens 08-28-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1345530)
These generators are quite common. I have a left over one, from when I put a 6 Volt alternator on Minerva. It's in PERFECT condition.
Bill Hoarder

I assume the reason that they are quite common is that they were the replacement for 1928-34 four cylinder cars (see the Green Bible). There were not many 4 cylinder cars made in 1933-34 but the replacement usage explains why we find so many of them.

Charlie Stephens

Shortdog 08-28-2016 01:05 PM

Looks like the same one I have on my 31. If it is, there will be a bearing in the rear instead of a bushing. Tom told me that the cut out on mine was a 32 or newer.

Tom Wesenberg 08-28-2016 01:57 PM

People mix and match parts to keep a generator working. :mad:
Usually it's not the best idea and I've seen some parts messed up trying to make them fit something they weren't meant to fit.

In early 1930 the ball bearing was dropped and a bushing was used thereafter. Since there is little pressure on the rear bushing, they hold up very well with an occasional oiling.

larrys40 08-28-2016 02:13 PM

As Charlie said the chamfer is a giveaway of the later 32-34 4 cyl generator, it probably also has a series of holes in the back plate as well for ventilation.
They are good generators and excellent spares to carry for long distance trips.

Larry

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 1345514)
Just a bit of trivia. Although the generator will work fine on a Model A it is from a '33-'34 four cylinder Ford. You can tell this from the chamfer on the back of the case and the rear plate. I assume the front plate is a casting and not a stamping? Inside of the front plate you will probably find a "46" part number.

Charlie Stephens

Shortdog 08-28-2016 02:19 PM

Tom, I thought mine was a 29 or early 30 because that was the only year that I could find the bearing. 2 wires did come out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk