The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bucket seats (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277809)

Gino 03-11-2020 05:38 AM

Bucket seats

Hi, I'm working on this 65 falcon Futura. I have installed a hurst floor shift. I can't keep the front bench seat. So I purchased two 65 mustang bucket seats with poor upholstery. Has anyone purchased upholstery, say from tmi distributors? How did the the stuff work? Also I would consider buying seats that don't match if they were in descent condition. Wich also leads me to ask if anyone knows of a good source. Thanks

rotorwrench 03-11-2020 12:27 PM

Re: Bucket seats

I have no idea of the quality. Maybe someone on a Mustang forum could give some insight. You may need the foam pads too. Hog ring pliers & rings will be needed to install the covers. I can sew my own stuff but the prices are hard to beat on assembly line produced stuff. If it's half way decent then you won't lose much if it isn't. Use it till it rips & buy some better stuff.

Marcus 03-11-2020 07:34 PM

Gino - I suggest National Parts Depot (NPD): they handle repro seat covers for all Mustangs. You can purchase just the fronts, and I found them very reasonable (and the fit was perfect). They also sell the hog ring pliers and related hardware: I cheated, took the easy way out and had a local upholstery guy do the work; however, because it was so easy, the price was surprising inexpensive. (Don't have an idea about your area costs.)

51504bat 03-11-2020 08:16 PM

Back in HS I put a T-10 and Hurst shifter in my '65 Falcon 2 dr. wagon with a bench seat. If you are talking about a T-10 you just need a different tail shaft which will move the Hurst shifter forward to clear the bench seat. Don't know about a top loader.

JollyRoger 03-11-2020 08:18 PM

I think you're also going to find that the Mustang seats are going to put your rear on the floor unless you build seat risers to make up the height. Been there, done that.

Lanny 03-13-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyRoger (Post 1861082)
I think you're also going to find that the Mustang seats are going to put your rear on the floor unless you build seat risers to make up the height. Been there, done that.

===============================================

Years ago, a friend of mine put '66 Mustang front bucket seats into his
'64 Falcon Ranchero, and don't remember any difference in height
from his bench seat...

51504bat 03-13-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyRoger (Post 1861082)

That's my recollection as well.

Ford blue blood 03-15-2020 07:32 AM

Yup, put mid 80s Mustang seats in a 66 Falcon Ranchero. Was almost a direct bolt in. Seat height was same as the bench.

craig 03-18-2020 11:10 PM

Early Mustang seats are about 3" lower than the Falcon seats. Years ago a buddy did the swap and used some 2X4's for spacers. looked ugly, but did the job. Why won't the bench seat work, do you have something other than a Falcon trans., or was the floor shifter conversion for something other than a Falcon?. I've done this in the past on a virgin '65 Falcon and the bench seat cleared with room to spare. Sounds like you are using a Mustang trans., the shifter attaches to the end of the tail housing while a Falcon, Fairlane and Galaxie are at the front of the tail housing

bobss396 03-19-2020 11:34 AM

Post a couple of pictures so we can be of better service. I like the bench seats myself, but Mustang buckets are nice too. You can practically build an entire Mustang out of what is now available.

I have a bench seat in my car and had to massage the Hurst handle to get it off the seat in 2nd and 4th gear. Bent it cold in a large bench vise.