The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stamped Front Fender Braces (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83376)

BRENT in 10-uh-C 09-18-2012 10:26 AM

Stamped Front Fender Braces

9 Attachment(s)
Has anyone seen these type of braces with the reinforcement? Are they AA??

Rusty Homestead Fl 09-18-2012 10:56 AM

Re: Stamped Front Fender Braces

Never seen one like it but too bad they wern't all made like that. Maybe a proto type for the later extended rib? It appears there was a weld in the last picture where many seem to crack so maybe someone got creative with their own cure. Very well made if it's home engineering.

Bob C 09-18-2012 11:02 AM

There is a picture of the reinforced AA fender bracket on page 556 of the Service Bulletins.
It is similar to your picture but not identical.

Bob

MikeK 09-18-2012 11:02 AM

Not listed in the green bible.

mot 09-18-2012 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
im sure you know ,they did add such a modification for service replacement
ive seen some of them
they were all spot welded
the edges were flush fitting
and the reinforcement didnt go that high
if i had to guess ,yours are a good farmer fix
tom

Bill Underwood 09-18-2012 12:57 PM

From the look of the edge of the reinforcement, it looks like hand made rather than factory made. What does it look like in real life? Rivets make it look pretty official however! IMHO, it's made as one of a kind?

B

BRENT in 10-uh-C 09-18-2012 01:27 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Well curiosity got the best of me on these so I beadblasted them to have a closer look. I tend to agree with Tom Bill that these are someone's "farmer fix" however they did a great job on them.

I now am wondering if they are maybe a stamped 1929 front brace that has been trimmed to fit. The puzzler is why did they go to the trouble of installing the rivets instead of just welding the edges?

I definitely think if whomever had taken the time to grind and metalfinish their welds on the brace, it may have cause some folks to start scratching their heads!

(BTW, notice the frame welting in the pictures above. THAT was a first for me too.)

Flathead 09-18-2012 02:58 PM

Living in a rusty state, I see a nice spot for sand and mud to sit and rust out the brace. Not so likely with the typical use these cars get today.

ctlikon0712 09-18-2012 03:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Brent, I think I have one on my 31 150B, I'm not sure the reinforcement goes up as high as yours though. I'll go through my pics to make sure. If so.. it probably was installed in the late 50's when my dad ran the car into a tree....#$@#$@#

Ok, Sorry the pic is blurry, didn't know that till just now and I'm not home to take another. The two braces are visibly different.... its just hard to tell with the poor pic.

Keith True 09-18-2012 03:35 PM

I have some of those I installed on my truck.I just assumed they were a backyard fix,and if they're done properly,I like to use any old things like that I come across.Mine were not riveted though,they're welded.Mine have cracks that were been welded like yours too.By the looks of yours,I would say they were welded without the reinforcement in place.I can't see them being welded years ago without the weld melting into be backer at some point at least.A close look at the rivets look like they are more home brew than factory too.With all the aftermarket stuff there was back then those could have been a repair patch sold by Western Auto or the like.I have some weld on rear spring perches that were sold back then.You sliced the original off the axle housing,ground a bevel on it,and welded another one on in it's place.I vote for a well done dooryard fix.

mot 09-18-2012 04:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here is an original
tom

d.j. moordigian 09-19-2012 10:00 AM

I take it that they are not original, do to the repairs(welding)on the main
brace. The fit of the doubler is not tight...fit and finish. Does this sound correct?

Ya Brent, I saw them...wish mine were that nice!