The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   In Color (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301554)

GB SISSON 07-23-2021 08:42 PM

In Color

I started a thread last winter about a George Jones song ... 'Who's gonna fill their shoes'.. The responses were pretty fun. Most of my fleet is running ok, so I don't have a bunch of questiions about technical stuff and I can't answer a lot of things about correct stuff for a 30 something car. Just always loved this Jamey Johnson song. I watched it on youtube and later a gal put up her own version using her dadf's WW2 photos..... I know this isn't Ford and there is probably a ww2 nostalgia group out there, but I don't need any more distractions , s0 I am sharing it with my day to day friends..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYGwxf1gCC4

sugarmaker 07-23-2021 09:30 PM

Re: In Color

Gary,
Yes I like that song! Uncles were in WWII and made it back. I saw those black and white pictures too! Thanks!
Regards,
Chris

flatford8 07-24-2021 03:54 AM

“OldHenry” had a post a few years ago, something relevant to this and I posted the link to this song. My Dad was there but never talked about it much. I learned at a young age to stop asking. Definitely the “The Greatest Generation”.......Mark

mfirth 07-24-2021 06:54 AM

Maybe not FORD, but wonderful. Thanks G B ! A friend of dad's ran through live machinegun fire to rescue his pal.......YES, the Greatest Generation. Look at the GR8 Fords they built after WW II . Nuff said. Good stuff G B.

deuce5wndw 07-24-2021 07:19 AM

Hey Gary we can talk about other things! Love the song and my dad came back from the Pacific!! Agreed the Greatest Generation!
Dale

jayvee34 07-24-2021 07:32 AM

"All gave some, some gave all" Truly the Greatest Generation!

19Fordy 07-24-2021 09:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
That song pays tribute to those who made our freedom possible.
The Greatest Generation gave us the "good life". We surely need more like them today. My dad 3rd Armored Div. somewhere in France 1943. My twin brother Joe, Vietnam, Camp Eagle, 1968.

Darrell S 07-24-2021 10:03 AM

I also had 3 uncles in WW2. I was just a young one then but remember them coming home on leaves and all the conversations that went on for hours. I don't know how we have gone from so many willing to give it all to so many willing to give it all away.

19Fordy 07-24-2021 10:30 AM

Darrell, You said it all when you said, "I don't know how we have gone from so many willing to give it all to so many willing to give it all away."

Freedom taken for granted becomes "Freedom Lost".

GB SISSON 07-24-2021 10:47 PM

I think someone wrote a book and started it with "they were were best of times, they were the worst of times".....My dad was flying P47s when the war ended , both the father in laws I had fought in the Pacific. Okinawa and The Philipines. If I try to read 'light fiction' or anything but ww2, it just gets left on the bedside table. I sit in front of my laptop at a loss for words to even imagine what that generation of men and women went through for us. Maybe it Really WAS uphill both ways to school in the great depression. After highschool it was off to Guadalcanal or some other hellhole. I admit I have lived an easy life, too young for Vietnam, too old for Iraq. But I have a very deep admiration for those in the thick of it. Ok, enough... it's bedtime in Olga.

51504bat 07-25-2021 08:35 AM

Yes we really do owe a big debt of gratitude to those who fought for what too many take for granted today. My grandfather fought in the trenches in France during the war to end all wars. Unfortunately that didn't turn out to be true and WWII came along not that long afterwards and my dad was a bomb disposal officer. So when my lotto number came up during Viet Nam I had no choice but to show up for induction. As the mysterious ways of Uncle Sam would have it I stayed stateside as a MP but not a day goes by that I don't think about the almost 60,000 of my brothers/sisters who weren't so fortunate and paid the ultimate price.

GB SISSON 07-25-2021 02:58 PM

As Maynard G Krebs would say to his best friend , "I'm gettin' kinda misty Dobe". The elder Gillis fought in WW2."The big one".... I was working at a boatyard when my lottery # came up, probably '72. It was like #318 or something ... Dumb luck.