The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What is this in my anti-freeze? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305628)

spinelll 10-24-2021 04:32 PM

What is this in my anti-freeze?

2 Attachment(s)
Just noticed this today after a short ride.

The foam is not oily.
The bubbles did NOT dissipate even after a few hours.

The dipstick was clean.
A few year back I did a LestOil shuffle in the cooling system but never had foam after that.

Thanks
Leo

nkaminar 10-24-2021 06:35 PM

Re: What is this in my anti-freeze?

Looks like something my dog throws up. Do you have a pressurized radiator? That may cause some foaming as the cap releases.

If you are not overheating then I would not worry too much about it.

Some anti freeze is more prone to foaming and some kinds of contaminates can cause foaming.

midgetracer 10-24-2021 08:12 PM

it looks like silicate drop out. Are you using the Anti freeze that is made for modern aluminum engines. they put in large amounts of silicates to prevent corrosion of the aluminum. Also, the pH of the antifreeze is about neutral. The old versions of antifreeze had very little Silicates and ran at a high pH. When Aluminum engines arrived, this antifreeze would corrode the aluminum( look at aluminum heads on an old flathead). The next answer was to drop the pH to slightly acidic levels. This saved the Aluminum, but corroded the cast iron. As a compromise, lots of silicates were added and pH was kept neutral. Some industrial antifreezes are low silicate and work well for our old engines. The other answer is to change the antifreeze often.

spinelll 10-25-2021 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkaminar (Post 2069863)
Do you have a pressurized radiator? That may cause some foaming as the cap releases. .

I do not have a pressurized radiator.

Quote:

Originally Posted by midgetracer (Post 2069893)
it looks like silicate drop out. Are you using the Anti freeze that is made for modern aluminum engines. they put in large amounts of silicates to prevent corrosion of the aluminum. .

I'm using a low silicate formula. See the additional pic.
I'm not overheating.

Leo

Big hammer 10-25-2021 08:48 AM

Where did it come from, the over flow tube? if so maybe someone may a nest in the tube? I would drain, flush, refil.

spinelll 10-25-2021 09:24 AM

It came from the overflow tube.

katy 10-25-2021 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinelll (Post 2069828)
A few year back I did a LestOil shuffle in the cooling system.

Wot's a LestOil shuffle?

ETAModel 10-26-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 2070036)
Wot's a LestOil shuffle?

Yes, please...inquiring minds want to know.

spinelll 10-26-2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 2070036)
Wot's a LestOil shuffle?

Ran for a while with diluted LestOil to flush out any oil and/or grease residue.

mass A man 10-26-2021 03:27 PM

Years ago, I had a foaming problem, don't know why, running a good, standard-stock engine. I switched to "Sierra" antifreeze mixture, (50-50), in Model A and never had a foaming problem again. Note; I drive this Ford in all different temperatures, never boiled over, no vapor lock, etc..I keep the coolant level just under the baffle in radiator, where the truck seems to keep that level anyway, if it was overfilled.

nkaminar 10-26-2021 06:19 PM

Lestoil is a soap. It is likely that some small residual amount is causing the foam. Doesn't take much. As mentioned earlier, if not overheating, don't worry about it.

Dirtrack49 10-27-2021 10:04 AM

My 30' Town Sedan is doing the same thing after running Thermocure through it.

I removed the fan belt and ran the engine checking for bubbles in a slightly overfilled radiator. No bubbles were seen. When I replaced the fan belt the bubbles returned. Either there is residual Themocure left in the system causing the bubbles, or the water pump is developing them.

Tom L.

Dale'45 10-27-2021 12:02 PM

Long time learner on this site. We have had a '30 coupe for three years now and every problem that has come I have found the answer for here. The foaming anti-freeze has had me baffled ever since we have had the car. Two head gaskets plus surfacing the head and still the bubbles. Yesterday I drained the radiator and refilled it with a different brand and the bubbles are gone after a ten mile run home. Thanks every one for all the good info. Dale

Brentwood Bob 10-27-2021 12:28 PM

I noticed your drip pan. Does it include the rear end?
Home made, or an east coast made pan?

spinelll 11-10-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob (Post 2070718)
I noticed your drip pan. Does it include the rear end?
Home made, or an east coast made pan?

Doesn't quite reach the rear.
To be completely honest, it's a cadaver tray.

jdpalmer 11-11-2021 08:20 PM

If you put the antifreeze in a cup and stir with your finger and it foams don't use it. NaAPA sell and anti foam antifreeze