The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Ring Gear (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273346)

Brendan 11-29-2019 03:51 PM

New Ring Gear

this is where all the new ring gears come from, check it out!
https://youtu.be/2NAdyOPbOEg

flatheadmurre 11-29-2019 04:05 PM

Re: New Ring Gear

Only the competition ultra speed version...an aluminum ring gear...:D

Ronnie 11-29-2019 05:21 PM

tandoori ring gears

R

outlaw 11-30-2019 01:29 AM

It is proof that not all aftermarket parts are made in China!

Mart 11-30-2019 04:32 AM

He made an excellent job of that. Obviously the part is just a demo of the shapes that can be cast. It is not intended for any use as a gear. I'm very impressed at how well it came out. The technique would be perfectly valid for the things we use, fuel blocks, club plaques etc.
Mart.

tubman 11-30-2019 08:32 AM

If I had one of those aluminum ring gears in my high school '51 Ford, I bet I wouldn't have broken so many axles!:D

19Fordy 11-30-2019 11:17 AM

Gosh, I used to teach that in my long gone high school metal shop class. Our kids to day will never know about such work. Although it's obvious you can't make gears out of aluminum, I give that fellow credit for his skill with such primitive tools and foundry. Back breaking work.

Ronnieroadster 11-30-2019 05:53 PM

Super rare race part a secret has gotten out! This fellow should charge a little more for the parts so he can buy some nice work shoes.

RalphM 11-30-2019 06:15 PM

Definitely a talented man. Imagine what he could do in a real foundry!

I watched a man in an automotive shop in Vietnam make mufflers. All he had was a torch, a hammer and a pair of shears. They looked like factory mufflers when he was done. Of course there was nothing but air inside them. :)

rotorwrench 12-01-2019 11:09 AM

No hobbing or grinding required. It only shrank a little bit but it will be OK. Aluminum works as good as steel doesn't it?

All joking aside, it would make a good desk paperweight. Small lighter duty parts have been made this way for centuries though. Basic sand casting 101. The pattern part would have to be slightly larger to get it to be the size needed. Some patterns are just wood carvings. Charlie Sorenson did pattern work when he was hired by Ford.

RalphM 12-01-2019 11:51 AM

My Dad was a pattern maker. I still have his “shrink rulers”,
He used to say “if you want to play a joke on someone, just slip in a shrink ruler while their not looking!” :)

V8COOPMAN 12-01-2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1826693)
Although it's obvious you can't make gears out of aluminum, I give that fellow credit for his skill.

Wellll…….not just any old gear, but don't forget that SOME of our old flathead gears are aluminum. DD

https://content.speedwaymotors.com/P...082cc65eea.jpg

RalphM 12-01-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 1827024)
No hobbing or grinding required. It only shrank a little bit but it will be OK. Aluminum works as good as steel doesn't it?

All joking aside, it would make a good desk paperweight. Small lighter duty parts have been made this way for centuries though. Basic sand casting 101. The pattern part would have to be slightly larger to get it to be the size needed. Some patterns are just wood carvings. Charlie Sorenson did pattern work when he was hired by Ford.

Many patterns start as wood! Even core boxes. Depending on how many of something your going to make. Higher production can use a match plate made of aluminum. Think about that one, the wooden pattern has to be a certain size to be able to shrink to the aluminum match plate, and the aluminum match plate has to be able to shrink to the size of the actual part. A little bit of math involved there.

deuce_roadster 12-01-2019 12:11 PM

A pattern maker in our V8 club during a club tour at his business showed us a fist full of rulers that were all different lengths. Each one for a different metal or alloy. At that point I had never thought about the patterns needing to allow for shrinkage of the final product.

richard orlandi 12-01-2019 12:18 PM

BRENDAN , Where did you find the video of uncle KRIKOR ?
I see he had special feet too .

Brendan 12-01-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard orlandi (Post 1827050)
BRENDAN , Where did you find the video of uncle KRIKOR ?
I see he had special feet too .

That's funny Rich!

rotorwrench 12-01-2019 06:46 PM

I don't know whether they cast or forge the blank for the cam gears but I'd be relatively certain that they're still hobbed to cut the gear teeth. The aluminum ones for the V8 have a sound all their own. The plastic & fiber ones are silent enough that you can't really hear them.

corvette8n 12-02-2019 12:10 PM

No wonder Drake is always out of stock, this guy has a hard time keeping up.

Frank Miller 12-03-2019 07:30 AM

I wonder how he hurt his foot?