The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   power disconnect switch (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274231)

DBrer 12-18-2019 07:39 PM

power disconnect switch

I'm trying to install the switch, and my problem is the shaft you tighten with the brass nuts isn't long enough, so how do you guys do it? Thank you. Don

Bob C 12-18-2019 08:48 PM

Re: power disconnect switch

Where are you trying to install the switch??

Bob

DBrer 12-18-2019 10:02 PM

I was trying to install it on the floor through the cross member that supports the front floor boards. just the 3/4 plywood is to thick.

Keith True 12-18-2019 10:12 PM

Those come with different length shanks,you need to buy the one that fits your application.

DBrer 12-18-2019 10:39 PM

Obviously I did't know that, thanks for the info I'll do some more research and see if I can get the right one. thanks again. Don

Brentwood Bob 12-18-2019 11:58 PM

If I picture it right, cut an access hole in the plywood floor board to access the switch, that's what I did.

marty in Ohio 12-19-2019 07:59 AM

DBrer,
What model are you trying to install your switch in? I put one in my fordor (Town Sedan) and I put it in the seat riser right under the driver's seat. The metal was thin and the switch is readily accessible. I built a small wooden box under the seat to protect the back of the switch from anything stored under there. Just a thought.
Marty

DBrer 12-19-2019 09:56 AM

I'm trying to install the switch in a 29 Tudor sedan. I saw the panel in the fordor sedan and that would be perfect if I had the panel. Thank you. Don

DBrer 12-19-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob (Post 1832928)
If I picture it right, cut an access hole in the plywood floor board to access the switch, that's what I did.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to cut the floorboard, but if I can't find another switch I might have to do that. Thank you. Don

arnhemmer 12-19-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBrer (Post 1833005)
I was hoping I wouldn't have to cut the floorboard, but if I can't find another switch I might have to do that. Thank you. Don

I cut a round hole in the floor board, mounted the switch on the cross member supporting the front seat. The switch handle sits just below the floor surface allowing me to make a round sheet metal cover that swings over the hole. This way I can open and close it when I switch the unit on or off. This is on a 1930 Tudor.

Brentwood Bob 12-19-2019 12:23 PM

You could make a duplicate floorboard and save the one that came with the car if that is important.

Keith True 12-19-2019 01:47 PM

If you look in a Cole-Hersey catalog you will see lots of different options.They also make one with a short shank,with a long stem.That one you can mount behind or under something,with just the skinny shaft poking through a small hole.The one to stay away from are the plastic ones.They don't like a lot of hot amps running through them when a 6 volt starter is churning over.

taffrail 12-19-2019 07:57 PM

With the small amount thread you have on the switch you could mount it in the hole of the rear motor mount. You have to lift the hood to check oil anyway.