The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   32 Roadster (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293059)

Carl 01-16-2021 10:19 AM

32 Roadster

I'm in need of a body rotisserie for an original 32 roadster body; or plans to build one. Anyone know of a source? Thanks

BoxCar Tom 01-18-2021 09:03 PM

Re: 32 Roadster

Carl,

I don't think a rotisserie for a 32 roadster body is available on the open market, same with plans. I think your on your own. If I were doing it I would buy two engine stands, then install a stock firewall and use the engine snubber mount holes as a rotisserie mount point. The back is a lot more tricky. Assuming you have a floor and sub-rails, I would create a mounting plate in the body and use body to frame mount points and the front corners of the deck lid opening as attachment points. Keep in mind that both rotisseries must be on the same axis.

There is another design that uses hoops attached to the bottom of the body. The hoops surround the body. You roll the body on the hoops.

Good luck.

Tony, NY 01-19-2021 08:15 AM

I made one for my A coupe out of 2 engine stands utilizing the rotating sections of the stands. The legs and base were made of square tubing and high enough so the roof would clear as it spun. Attachments were made for the firewall and trunk areas.

glennpm 01-19-2021 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good suggestion for the front attachment points on the front cross-member engine mount pads.

For the rear I would make a plate that bolts to the rear cross-member spring bolt holes on the bottom, weld a pipe to this plate pointing toward the rear and brace side to side, the pipe that is, to the rear tube frame rail bolt holes.

Glenn

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxCar Tom (Post 1975651)
Carl,

I don't think a rotisserie for a 32 roadster body is available on the open market, same with plans. I think your on your own. If I were doing it I would buy two engine stands, then install a stock firewall and use the engine snubber mount holes as a rotisserie mount point. The back is a lot more tricky. Assuming you have a floor and sub-rails, I would create a mounting plate in the body and use body to frame mount points and the front corners of the deck lid opening as attachment points. Keep in mind that both rotisseries must be on the same axis.

There is another design that uses hoops attached to the bottom of the body. The hoops surround the body. You roll the body on the hoops.

Good luck.

Carl 01-19-2021 05:32 PM

..thanks guys, for the ideas. I want to be able to mount the body on an apparatus w/o the frame so as to clean/ paint the complete bottom of body.

Tony, NY 01-19-2021 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My rig.

Newc 01-19-2021 10:27 PM

I have seen Ford bodies stood on their firewalls [noses] for work. Newc

BoxCar Tom 01-19-2021 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You mean like this???

flatford8 01-20-2021 09:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I used two engine like what was previously mentioned..... don’t know if they’re high enough for a body ...... Mark