The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   original cotter pins (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201062)

Mike V. Florida 07-23-2016 12:09 AM

original cotter pins

Does anyone have a close up picture of an original cotter pin?

I'd like to know if the legs were uneven, the wire was "D" shaped and what did the loop look like?

DougVieyra 07-23-2016 12:41 AM

Re: original cotter pins

Interesting question !

It kind of reminds me of the post I once read asking who else had original air in the tires of their 1928 Essex.

I must confess, in my early days of owning factory original Model As, and with all the dirty, greasy mechanic work, I never paid notice of the physical make up of the cotter pins. And because of the mantra of "once used - throw it away and get a new one", I suspect that originals are as 'scarce as hen's teeth'. And I would be suspect of any that claim to be circa 1928. So I suspect that we are left with examining a few remaining "MARC OF ORIGINALITY" type of sources.

Which is why I first said : "Interesting question !"

mhsprecher 07-23-2016 05:43 AM

I thought that the judging standards addressed this, but during a quick look I did not find anything.. I believe the cotter pins were not D shaped, but had round loops on the top. I believe original type cotter pins are available from suppliers. A quick search on Bratton's site and through their catalog did not produce anything. I am sure someone has a quick answer for this.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-23-2016 07:31 AM

Marco, Charles Reece, Gary and several of us addressed this here some 3-5 years ago. You might be able to search for it.

EDIT
Mike, I found the thread. You were involved in it, and the info came from the late Doc Kalinka article posted by Joop in that thread. Search for ' Cotters (nit picking) ' and you should find it.

Tom Wesenberg 07-23-2016 08:03 AM

Here's the link:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ns+nit+picking

Joe K 07-23-2016 08:45 AM

Funny. I was going to respond to this query - and to comment on the "D" shaped pins mentioned by the OP.

But I couldn't remember (and couldn't find) any references to support my contention.

Tom (and Doc Kalinka) to the rescue - THAT is where I saw it.

What a resource we have in this board.

Joe K

Y-Blockhead 07-23-2016 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1328016)

Thanks for the link Tom. Interesting thread. I'm always willing to learn new things about our cars.

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-23-2016 11:05 AM

I was once temporarily BANNED, for poking FUN, on a Kotter Key Thread! I'll jist be QUIET.
The Dog jist "sed"--"The day you quit pokin' FUN, you'll be DAID"!!!!
Bill Bentfunny

Steve Plucker 07-23-2016 11:14 AM

For more information on Cotter keys:

COTTERS

“On the Road: Behold, the Cotter Pin!”: MAN/37/3/9-10 (1990)**7
“Clevis Pin/Cotter Key Tool”: MAN/59/5/19 (2012)
“TIP…How to Install Cotter Pins”: TR/32/4/12 (1987)
“Those Wonderful Cotter Pins”: TR/35/6/37 (1991)
“The Model A Ford Cotter Pins”: TR/59/6/8-10 (2015)
“Cotter Pins Revisited”: TR/60/1/10 (2015)

MAN is Model A newsw; TR is The Restorer

Pluck

Mike V. Florida 07-23-2016 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1328005)
Marco, Charles Reece, Gary and several of us addressed this here some 3-5 years ago. You might be able to search for it.

EDIT
Mike, I found the thread. You were involved in it, and the info came from the late Doc Kalinka article posted by Joop in that thread. Search for ' Cotters (nit picking) ' and you should find it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1328016)

When I attempt to blow up the copied picture from the article on the computer the picture become blurry hence the request for a close up photo.

Tom Wesenberg 07-24-2016 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1328407)
When I attempt to blow up the copied picture from the article on the computer the picture become blurry hence the request for a close up photo.

It did the same for me if I hit Ctrl +, but if I click on the picture twice and then hit Ctrl + it's OK.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-24-2016 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom wesenberg (Post 1328419)
it did the same for me if i hit ctrl +, but if i click on the picture twice and then hit ctrl + it's ok.

+ 1