The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   removing studs (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184953)

Prawbly 12-17-2015 07:23 PM

removing studs

HI all Well in preparing for my new Offenhauser 400 heads I of course broke a stud when trying to remove it. Not being an expert in this I was expecting problems, but now right off the bat. I think I know how to drill out the broken one and re-tap, but it's the others that have me worried. I know about using heat, but other than that are there other things besides heat, or a machine shop I could use ? Also, I need an intake valve for a 59ab !! Anyone has one I would like to buy it :D Thanks

mrtexas 12-17-2015 07:29 PM

Re: removing studs

Don't drill out. Weld a washer onto the stud then weld a nut on the washer. Heat and quench. It will come right out.

Before you try to pull anymore, heat and quench a couple times first.

Prawbly 12-17-2015 07:39 PM

Thank you. Sounds as though it will be a couple of days work. Merry Christmas to you and all of yours. Pat

Ronnie 12-17-2015 08:41 PM

Real easy I have done 100's of broken studs of all sizes.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/studremoval.htm

R

Prawbly 12-17-2015 10:15 PM

:eek:What a great article !! Thanks Ronnie it was great. I will try it out exactly like that and see what happens. I was losing confidence pretty fast. Thinking of removing 48 stubborn studs is a depressing thought. Thank you very much for taking time.:o I saved it for future use. - - Pat

JSeery 12-17-2015 10:58 PM

Another note, it is not a good idea to use a tap in the block cylinder holes. These holes are on the tight side (as designed) and should not have the threads increased to a looser fit. If they need cleaned out use something like a thread chaser or a bolt with a groove cut into it, something that will not cut the threads larger.

Prawbly 12-17-2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1207753)
Another note, it is not a good idea to use a tap in the block cylinder holes. These holes are on the tight side (as designed) and should not have the threads increased to a looser fit. If they need cleaned out use something like a thread chaser or a bolt with a groove cut into it, something that will not cut the threads larger.

jseery - thanks for your input. That is very good to know. All's I have to do now is get the rest of my studs out in one piece. LoL 47 studs !!! That's a lot of studs. Thanks and Merry Christmas. Pat

Bluebell 12-18-2015 04:55 AM

I used another original stud with a slot cut in it with a cut off disc. The original studs have a rolled thread. If that is what you are putting back, then they should be a good fit.
I just put a bit of engine oil on the stud and kept cleaning out the groove.
All 48 are cleaned out and I am happy with them.
Running a tap in them will likely cut out new material leaving the threads with excessive clearance and the likelyhood of a leak. A mistake to avoid.

Rumble seat covered it in his notes. I understand he died quite some years back, but my thanks go out to him for sharing his knowledge with us.

SofaKing 12-18-2015 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prawbly (Post 1207726)
:eek:What a great article !! Thanks Ronnie it was great. I will try it out exactly like that and see what happens. I was losing confidence pretty fast. Thinking of removing 48 stubborn studs is a depressing thought. Thank you very much for taking time.:o I saved it for future use. - - Pat

Consider using a 1/2" breaker bar and socket instead of impact wrench, it will give you much better feel for what is happening.

russcc 12-18-2015 09:48 AM

The best advice in the Ford Garage that Ronnie posted was to throw out all your Broken Outs, ("easy outs"). Right now, do not hesitate for a minute. Smile as you do it, thinking about all the time and frustration you will be saving yourself.

Kurt in NJ 12-18-2015 10:05 AM

I used to work real hard at getting the studs out whole so there was no need to drill, after using the tig the washer on method I realized that it was quicker and easier to just break off the unwilling studs

Ronnie 12-18-2015 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SofaKing (Post 1207865)
Consider using a 1/2" breaker bar and socket instead of impact wrench, it will give you much better feel for what is happening.

Actually I have done so many head stud's,and bolts,exhaust manifolds,aluminum castings,small screws in firearms (gun's usually only need a propane torch and a candle to get them out)The use of an impact is actually the best.I don't use a conventional air impact but an 18 volt Makita cordless 1/2" impact.These impact guns have real nice trigger control and I usually try to tighten it first and then many small bursts in reverse.On smaller 1/4 and smaller screws you won't need an impact they just turn out. Quenching the stud with a candle wax as it cools is an asset as well.Don't quench when it is red hot as anything burns off wait a bit and then quench.I learned this trick years ago calling on machine shops,they all use this to remove those impossible oil gallery plugs in many diesel engines.Hope this helps you guy's.

R

Mike51Merc 12-18-2015 10:40 AM

Don't be afraid of heat. You don't need special equipment or make them glowing cherry red. You'd be surprised how much you can accomplish with a simple plumbing propane torch.

Ronnie 12-18-2015 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures

Prawbly 12-18-2015 11:48 AM

MAN !! - - THANKS !! Thanks Guys ! So many giving time to help. Being a new member this impresses me. Thanks to all of you. I don't have a tig welder. (Too expensive) will a reg arc welder work ? I have some 1/16 rod that I use for thin wall tubing. It should work if I'm careful. I've learned from exhaust manifold work that cast iron is impressive material. It can be your best friend or your most stubborn enemy. Thanks again to a bunch of great people. - - Pat

34pickup 12-18-2015 11:58 AM

That article makes it look easy. Question: won't a mig welder work just as well for those who don't have a tig welder?

El Rat 12-18-2015 12:10 PM

I have been very successful using "double nuts" and a pipe wrench at the very base of the stud. Use both at once... I rarely break a head stud. Obviously rocking the stud back and forth and plenty of liquid penetrant.

Floyd 12-18-2015 01:13 PM

When I have a stuck stud, I do not go to the point of breaking them off. After the easy ones come out with the double nut method then I go to step two. I cut the stud off about 1" long and drop a 1/2' cheap nut over the 7/16' stud. I then weld the nut to the stud with my mig welder (works great if you don't have a tig setup). Then I take a impact gun and just sit on that nut until something happens. Either the weld breaks or the stud comes out. If the weld breaks, reweld it and go again. This is the only method that I have found that is 100%.
Just an opinion

estout81 12-18-2015 01:19 PM

Prawbly,
Yes, a regular arc welder will work. Takes a little more care and or skill.;)
I've done this many times.

Ronnie 12-18-2015 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 34pickup (Post 1207974)
That article makes it look easy. Question: won't a mig welder work just as well for those who don't have a tig welder?

A mig will get it done. I use tig because I don't need or want a mig.

Tig is easier because you have infinite control of the heat. A mig is like a light switch it is either on or off like a arc welder.A tig you can back off on the pedal and just sit there as long as you want,no time limit. This is where the heat soak has an advantage. But the others will get it done just not as easy.

R