The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   40 Ford Radio On Off Volume Switch (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282797)

HemiDeuce 06-18-2020 02:36 PM

40 Ford Radio On Off Volume Switch

I have a 40 Ford radio that needs a On Off Volume Switch.

Does anyone know where one might be available ?

Many thanks if you can help.

Keith

HemiDeuce 06-19-2020 12:39 PM

Re: 40 Ford Radio On Off Volume Switch

Btt

philipswanson 06-19-2020 12:51 PM

There was more than one manufacturer. I have a Zenith which is recognized for the deep groove right through the middle of it to clear the ventilator handle. Have you tried to spray out the switch with potentiometer cleaner?

Kube 06-19-2020 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiDeuce (Post 1900423)
I have a 40 Ford radio that needs a On Off Volume Switch.

Does anyone know where one might be available ?

Many thanks if you can help.

Keith

Keith,
Most likely you'll need to find a donor radio for parts. They have gone way down in value. Just be certain you get either the Zenith or Philco, respective of what you currently have.
Picture depicts the Philco on the left, Zenith to the right.

HemiDeuce 06-20-2020 03:49 PM

Thanks for the reply's, mine is a Philco Model F 1740, and I have been able to source all the necessary electrical and cosmetic plastic parts, just need the switch.
I works and sounds good but would rather not have a exterior switch for the on off and volume function.

philipswanson 06-21-2020 12:34 PM

What's wrong with the original switch or did you get one with the radio?

HemiDeuce 06-22-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipswanson (Post 1901424)
What's wrong with the original switch or did you get one with the radio?

The switch on the radio is frozen and will not move, and it is in the on position so when energized the radio works, but cannot be shut off and the volume cannot be changed.

Would this switch be a one year only on the 40 Ford radio or would anyone know if it was used in a earlier or later years Ford radios ?

rotorwrench 06-22-2020 06:19 PM

The Philco P/N 67-0026 Vol & PWR control switch would likely be unobtanium in NOS condition. Another Philco radio that uses them would be the most likely source of an original. If it's a rheostat with switch then the works are likely frozen from corrosion or crud. The radios with the thumb wheels may have had some other form of connection to drive the component rather than a direct connection. A person would have to inspect it to see if it may be repairable but I don't know how they are set up. It would only be a guess on my part about how it works. There are still a lot of rheostats available with on off function but I don't know if any would adapt. They would have to have the same or similar resistance values.

I think the 1939 Ford and Mercury radio is very similar to the 1940 Ford & Mercury at least in the deluxe mode of Ford but possibly in standard as well. Of course it would have to be a Philco model to scavenge parts.

HDowse 06-23-2020 05:32 AM

Joe at Classic Auto Electric rebuilt my Zenith for me last fall. Give him a call, he might be able to help you out. 620-241-6927. classicautoelectric.com

Ken/Alabama 06-23-2020 07:40 PM

You find a switch yet? I probably got one.

HemiDeuce 06-23-2020 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama (Post 1902224)
You find a switch yet? I probably got one.

Hi Ken, no not yet.

I have a Philco radio is yours for a Philco ?

Keith