The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear Rubber Mat for Phaeton (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232239)

Classiccanuck 10-29-2017 10:45 PM

Rear Rubber Mat for Phaeton

Is anyone selling floor mats for '28 Phaetons? I think Mac's used to sell them.

Jim/GA 10-29-2017 10:56 PM

Re: Rear Rubber Mat for Phaeton

No. The mold broke.

wrndln 10-30-2017 09:15 AM

Jim is correct. A fellow was making them, but like Jim said, his mold broke and the demand was not enough to repair it and make more. I looked and looked for one of my 29 phaeton and finally found one, but is was not first quality - probably made right before the mold finally broke. However, it was better than nothing. I was thinking about trying to make one from a rumble seat mat, but since I found the one I have, I didn't proceed.
Rusty Nelson

Classiccanuck 10-30-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrndln (Post 1545671)
Jim is correct. A fellow was making them, but like Jim said, his mold broke and the demand was not enough to repair it and make more. I looked and looked for one of my 29 phaeton and finally found one, but is was not first quality - probably made right before the mold finally broke. However, it was better than nothing. I was thinking about trying to make one from a rumble seat mat, but since I found the one I have, I didn't proceed.
Rusty Nelson

Rusty, how close of a match are the rumble seat mats? how do I modify one to fit?

Gabalus 10-30-2017 02:12 PM

Me too, I'll need one...

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-30-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classiccanuck (Post 1545766)
Rusty, how close of a match are the rumble seat mats? how do I modify one to fit?

Pretty sure I have used a trimmed Tudor rear mat on the last couple of Phaetons.

sethkestenbaum 10-30-2017 02:58 PM

I'd purchase one as well.

wrndln 10-30-2017 03:35 PM

To all,
I suspect Brent's idea of using a tudor rear mat is probably better than adapting a rumble mat. I didn't get very far in trying to adapt a rumble mat to a phaeton, since I found the phaeton rear mat before doing much. I have heard of cutting a mat with a real sharp razor blade or knife and carefully gluing the pieces together to fit a phaeton. I don't know how well the reassembled (glued) mat would hold up. I think the adapted mats I heard of were for fine point cars that have little use.
Rusty Nelson

Synchro909 10-30-2017 04:35 PM

MAFCSA sells them. That is Model A Ford Club of South Australia. $A130 - that's about $US99. Contact Margaret Mudge on [email protected].
I suggest if there are a few of you wanting one, a group purchase might be the way to go and at least save on the freight.
Just to be clear, I have no association with that club.

Tom Wesenberg 10-30-2017 07:50 PM

I also need one for my 28 Phaeton.

BILL WILLIAMSON 10-31-2017 08:29 AM

Aren't you all GLAD "they" BROKE MY MOLD?
Bill Oneandonly

caboose 10-31-2017 09:38 AM

I need one for my 29 Phaeton.

Montie

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-31-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1545835)
MAFCSA sells them. That is Model A Ford Club of South Australia. $A130 - that's about $US99. Contact Margaret Mudge on [email protected].
I suggest if there are a few of you wanting one, a group purchase might be the way to go and at least save on the freight.
Just to be clear, I have no association with that club.

Is there a difference between the rear mats for the U.S. version of the 35A/B body and the export one? I am almost betting there is because of the sills.

d.j. moordigian 10-31-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1546156)
Is there a difference between the rear mats for the U.S. version of the 35A/B body and the export one? I am almost betting there is because of the sills.

Good point Brent !
Look at the mats in "iverson" Phaeton,...super rare!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...rson&showall=1

Bob C 10-31-2017 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the Iverson mat I think.

Bob

d.j. moordigian 10-31-2017 10:49 AM

Bob,

The "front mat" is the killer,...there was a big discussion off line about it..!
I'd love to have one for my car.

Dudley

Bob C 10-31-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian (Post 1546177)
Bob,

The "front mat" is the killer,...there was a big discussion off line about it..!
I'd love to have one for my car.

Dudley

Sounds like the rear mat for the phaeton is a problem also and the reason for this thread.

barnstuf 10-31-2017 02:28 PM

After reading this thread on 1928-29 Phaeton rear mats I went out to the barn to look at the original in my 1929. It has seen normal passenger use and does not need to be replaced as my Phaeton is a driver, not a show car. I measured the floor mat in my 1930 Coupe rumble seat and both length and width are different so it is not a viable substitute.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-31-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnstuf (Post 1546245)
After reading this thread on 1928-29 Phaeton rear mats I went out to the barn to look at the original in my 1929. It has seen normal passenger use and does not need to be replaced as my Phaeton is a driver, not a show car. I measured the floor mat in my 1930 Coupe rumble seat and both length and width are different so it is not a viable substitute.

Yes, and since the Tudor and the (US manufactured) Phaeton share a very similar Sill platform, that is what we have gone with in the interim.

Synchro909 10-31-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1546156)

Brent, I have no idea. I've never seen a US Phaeton, only the local ones (which were not a US export car). I wondered the same thing but offered the info anyway figuring it would be up to the buyer to verify suitability before buying.