The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Barn Find of Model A ENGINES (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221909)

Roadster62 06-01-2017 07:56 PM

Barn Find of Model A ENGINES

I may have the option to buy a barn full of Model A engines (6-8), as found, nothing special, heavy iron. I'm wondering what the going rate is for a core engine. Too costly to ship, might drag a few to Hershey in the Fall. I've done dumber things, hate to see them scrapped. Bob

Terry, NJ 06-01-2017 08:20 PM

Re: Barn Find of Model A ENGINES

You don't say whether or not if the heads are on them or not. I ran into a situation like this and the guy, who's a dealer of FB was unloading them for $75 each, No questions asked or answered. The heads were on them and there was no taking them off for inspection. I gambled the $75 and won, the block was good.
Terry

SeaSlugs 06-01-2017 08:32 PM

Yea how complete are they? Any past history? Lets just say the blocks are no good or all need rebabbited, if you were to part them out what would you get for each one? (depends on how complete they are but things like heads and flywheel housings, water necks, etc add up)

Were they neatly stacked or just kinda tossed in in the mud? If the previous owner who collected them all knew they were good or running one would think he would try to keep them nice and not lay them in the mud... Bring a bright flashlight and a wrench to fit the spark plugs and pull a few (or them all) and see what you can see. If you see mouse nests then well thier junk usually or need mucho machine work.

This is where the $16 smart phone bore camera would come in super handy.

Roadster62 06-01-2017 09:05 PM

Yes, they have heads an pans, some still have the bellhousing. I think they have just gone from collection to collection. Just wonder if they are one or two hundred items. Bob

J Franklin 06-01-2017 09:14 PM

Figure ebay and scrap values and go from there.

Railcarmover 06-01-2017 10:22 PM

You don't know if its a core till its measured out.

Many cracks can be repaired.

Do you know if they are all A engines?

With what builders are getting for counter balanced engines with insert bearings the buildable core prices are upside down..50 or 100 bucks for what a shop can turn and sell for 6k?Its not just heavy iron,its worth the trouble to buy low and spend a little time finding out what you have.

Chris Haynes 06-01-2017 10:40 PM

I am looking for a "B". Have cash.

Mike V. Florida 06-01-2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 1480408)
Figure ebay and scrap values and go from there.

That's what I would do. Could be worth it to practice on.

RockHillWill 06-02-2017 06:29 AM

One time, I bought 56 Model A motors, most with heads. Was only able to salvage about 35 of the complete ones, but got a boatload of components. It did allow me to meet many new friends and all the experiences but one turned out to be friends forever.

Special Coupe Frank 06-02-2017 06:42 AM

How much time, space, and mad-money do you have ?

Figure 50 % may have deck cracks. This is my finding.

2manycars 06-02-2017 06:44 AM

I bought two truck loads of engines several years ago. 3 were salvageable. The rest I stripped of useful parts and junked the rest.

Great Lakes Greg 06-02-2017 11:25 AM

I bought six engines, barn fresh for $50 each and doubled my money selling as-is.

old car guy 06-02-2017 06:27 PM

As others have stated you will not know what you got till you either take them down for a inspection or use them strictly for a parts purchase and anything that's a keeper or a runner is a win win . As for value unknown motors at are a touchy subject when buying them More than half will be boat anchors and the other half might be rebuildable but at what cost.. and motors are heavy and dirty to store and just move around.
If you bought them for scrap weight you could not lose any real folding money on the costs.
They are not dusenbergs and no matter what you asked for the at the big flea market someone who needed would pay your price. So it's up to you to take the gamble on the purchase and the resale . If you bought them right it really will not matter on the cost, moving etc. no that are not making new originals other than tods new motor and that's a different subject cores have been bought here in bulk for 50 to 75 bucks depending on how complete they were . Good luck on your purchase and send us pictures and block numbers

Keith True 06-02-2017 06:40 PM

The guy that used to do my babbit work told us he had about 600 engines in a barn.The barn was just up the road from his shop,and he sent me up there to have a look at something.He didn't warn me,and it was kind of a shock to look at a solid sea of engines as far as I could see.I have no idea what happened to them after he died though.I never met his boys but the way he talked about them they were not the liquidate and run kind of guys.

Roadster62 06-02-2017 08:33 PM

I think there are eight engines with heads and pans, no starters or generators, there may be some manifolds. Son in Law has a dump truck, trailer and Skid Steer, would take 3-4 hours round trip to collect everything, maybe an hour to unload. Kind of think it is worth saving them, but it looks like a brake even deal even if the engines are free. Bob

RawhideKid 06-02-2017 08:43 PM

Just remember, there is no getting them back once they have been melted down in an offshore kiln to make the new cars of the future.

Tom Wesenberg 06-02-2017 08:46 PM

I would grab them and store or resell them.
Be sure to tape all openings, or you will have lots of mice thanking you.

TerryO 06-02-2017 09:25 PM

I just bought a couple of A's and a building full of parts including 3 complete A engines,1 B engine and a flat head 6 banger. My son and I and a set of hand trucks loaded them in an enclosed trailer. Took about 1/2 hr to load and I unloaded them in another 1/2 hr.

TOB

Kevin in NJ 06-03-2017 06:45 AM

Value goes up if they are apart and inspectable (and good).

Check for cracks and size up the cylinders, crank and for an extra plus the cam holes. Price accordingly. Also apart the engines become more easily moved.

boo 06-04-2017 10:24 PM

i just gave a friend 3 complete engines, 2 4 spd trans, 2 worm drive rears, front end w/big truck lug pattern w/ 20'' wires. going to build a swamp buggy,part was from my wifes old hunting buggy. still have 1 A eng & 1 B eng w/ trans w/ 48 syncro gears for future project.