The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Any ideas where to put a batt disconnect? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208665)

iverson 11-06-2016 09:50 PM

Any ideas where to put a batt disconnect?

I usually pull off the ground cable when the car sits but i don't always remember, any ideas where to put a batt disconnect switch?

Barber31 11-06-2016 10:17 PM

Re: Any ideas where to put a batt disconnect?

There's a kit sold by the vendors that mounts the switch in the engine compartment by the starter I believe. I had mine mounted in between the driver/pass seats. It was perfectly placed and out of sight but now that I have new floor boards I'm debating on cutting holes thru them.

Y-Blockhead 11-06-2016 10:18 PM

Can you help us out by cluing us in on what year and model car your asking about?

I mounted mine on the floor in front of the drivers seat in my '30 Town Sedan.

SeaSlugs 11-06-2016 10:18 PM

somewhere you can easily reach it from the drivers seat if need be.

iverson 11-06-2016 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Our car is a unrestored 28 touring it has the original wiring that has some insulation that is not the best

Mike V. Florida 11-06-2016 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barber31 (Post 1381425)
There's a kit sold by the vendors that mounts the switch in the engine compartment by the starter I believe.

http://www.mikes-afordable.com/mm5/g...1/M14300DK.jpg

Russ B 11-06-2016 11:57 PM

On my Model A's, I put the disconnect switch on the seat risers, center or left side, in easy reach.

Glenn C. 11-07-2016 12:05 AM

It becomes a real pain in the neck with the above, to have it installed on the starter, with having to open and close the hood each time you use the switch. Ok! some will say you should check the oil anyway. I haven't yet done it myself, but I have seen others where the switch is installed in the front seat riser below the drivers legs, and another neat installation where the switch was installed in the front cross member. It does require some ingenuity to fashion a on-off leaver that lays flat under the front carpet, again under the drivers feet. This way the switch is hidden from all.
Also in my opinion, having the switch in a location where the driver has quick access in an emergency, might prevent a possible serious situation developing, such as a electrical fire, or even a stuck starter switch.

captndan 11-07-2016 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1381452)

^^^^^. The best place.

SeaSlugs 11-07-2016 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iverson (Post 1381444)
Our car is a unrestored 28 touring it has the original wiring that has some insulation that is not the best

Well unless you want a unrestored original house/garage/car fire I would think very hard about replacing the wiring or putting the disconnect between your legs. Wiring is part of maintaining a car just like brakes and steering. You wouldn't think twice about replacing late 60's aluminum house wiring in your house because its original would you?

Bob Bidonde 11-07-2016 08:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The driver's side engine mount is an ideal location. The mount has an existing hole, so no drilling is necessary. Also, the mount is in the path of the battery cable.

Ray Young 11-07-2016 08:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is where mine sits with the kit pictured above.
Attachment 293483

mshmodela 11-07-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1381452)

This switch I installed, good quality, the mounting bracket on the starter is simply....

Big Iron 11-07-2016 09:10 AM

I have a AA truck. It has a mat on the floor. I mounted the switch to the cross member with a bracket I made. I took off the switch handle and made a sleeve with two set screws in it. I put a six point socket in one end and put the other end on the switch. I drilled a hole in the floor for the sleeve to cum through. It is flush with the top of the floor board. You just lift up the mat and use an allen wrench to turn the switch on or off. Know one knows it is there except the people I just told on here. Paint the switch black and you don't even know it is there.

V4F 11-07-2016 09:39 AM

now every one knows

Fred K-OR 11-07-2016 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captndan (Post 1381536)
^^^^^. The best place.

Reasons it is good is that it is fairly easy to install, when you lift the hood you can check things in the engine compartment and they work well. I have both of my rigs with them installed.

sphanna 11-07-2016 07:06 PM

I had my switch mounted near the starter as some have suggested above. I changed it so it was accessible from the driver seat. Reason: Went to a KC regional a few years back and when attempting to start car for trip home, my starter stuck. Surprised me and had to think a bit. By the time I figured out I had better get the switch shut off by opening hood after exiting the car with my old creeky legs, the starter had run so long that I thought it would burn up. It didn't but when I got home, I mounted it so I could reach it from drivers position.

Mitch//pa 11-07-2016 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphanna (Post 1381870)
I had my switch mounted near the starter as some have suggested above. I changed it so it was accessible from the driver seat. Reason: Went to a KC regional a few years back and when attempting to start car for trip home, my starter stuck. Surprised me and had to think a bit. By the time I figured out I had better get the switch shut off by opening hood after exiting the car with my old creeky legs, the starter had run so long that I thought it would burn up. It didn't but when I got home, I mounted it so I could reach it from drivers position.

That's where I place all the ones i install.... A little more work but as mentioned easy to get to and easy on the eyes

iverson 11-07-2016 07:55 PM

some very good ideas! I like the motor mount idea because of the existing hole but I can see it would take time to get out of car and open hood. I think being able to reach switch from drivers seat makes sense. another posability i have a few ww2 aircraft master switches that are 24 volt but might work on 6volt I think I will look in to that, I have decided that a switch is a must! I will post what ever I do no matter what! thank you guys!

29er 11-07-2016 09:40 PM

Here's some old threads to confuse you:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ery+disconnect