The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wiring Harness (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107768)

31 A4door 05-31-2013 11:46 PM

Wiring Harness

Well today I put that new harness in that I made this week. All went perfect except that I wired the high and low beams reversed. No biggie I changed it around in the headlight buckets.
Also gave up on that darn ignition switch and put in a temporary switch till a new comes in the mail.

Who can tell me what these things used for " running " Lights ?? Book shows wire going to headlight I think. This car has some sort of non stock headlights.

Also found a light under the dash. I hooked it up and it's working well. No dome light yet but there will be after I tear out the headliner.

Mike V. Florida 05-31-2013 11:49 PM

Re: Wiring Harness

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31 A4door (Post 662564)
Well today I put that new harness in that I made this week. All went perfect except that I wired the high and low beams reversed. No biggie I changed it around in the headlight buckets.
Also gave up on that darn ignition switch and put in a temporary switch till a new comes in the mail.

Who can tell me what these things used for " running " Lights ?? Book shows wire going to headlight I think. This car has some sort of non stock headlights.

Also found a light under the dash. I hooked it up and it's working well. No dome light yet but there will be after I tear out the headliner.

Deluxe cars had cowl lights otherwise, there were no runnin, parking, lights on A'a as built.

Franchise_24 06-01-2013 08:51 AM

Mike what are you talking about? Cars without cowl lights have parking/running lights in the main headlight as a separate bulb. Both my cars do.

1931 flamingo 06-01-2013 09:43 AM

Do you have cowl lights?? How many bulbs/sockets in each headlight??
Paul in CT

ericr 06-01-2013 10:11 AM

this is a dumb question so all due apologies extended, and here goes: I have never clearly understood if people are saying that a car with factory-installed cowl lights lacked parking lights in the headlamps. And are they saying if a dealer installed the cowl lights, he would remove the parking lights in the headlamps?

Franchise_24 06-01-2013 04:05 PM

Eric, good question. I know on my dads 30 deluxe town sedan it has cowl lights and only 1 socket for the lights/brights in the head lamp. My 2 cars don't have cowl lights so they have 2 sockets in the head lamp for lights and parking/running light.

31 A4door 06-01-2013 10:52 PM

This car has non stock headlights on it. Only one plug and uses a sealed beam but I think it's on a stock cross bar. There was not a 3rd wire going over to each headlight before I took all that out. I did put a wire in my loom and can hook something up if needed but the book clearly shows a 3rd wire going to each headlight in the book.

31 A4door 06-01-2013 10:57 PM

BTW finished the wiring today and put a new tail light on today too.. Need to clean up the brake switch and put in back in then I am afraid I am done with this car for about a month while I do Model T stuff and tours.

Tom Wesenberg 06-02-2013 05:52 AM

I suspected your car had sealed beams from one of your other postings, probably the one on your generator. Sealed beams draw a lot more amps than the stock Model A lights. Also, with sealed beams in the buckets, you can't have parking lights in the buckets. Stock Model A headlamps (after Feb. 1929) have parking lights mounted above the headlamp sockets, unless the car came from the factory with cowl lamps, then the headlamps only had the main headlamp socket.

31 A4door 06-02-2013 09:31 AM

Thanks for all the good info. I have the wire ready to hook up at a later date if I end up putting Stock headlamps on it. Until then I will tie it up out of sight.

howard104 07-17-2020 02:26 PM

i saw you made your own haness,where did you get the layout????

Bob C 07-17-2020 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
He hasn't posted in almost 6 1/2 years so he probably wont reply but
this may help.