The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fuel pump gasket (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284308)

tomcarman 07-19-2020 08:44 PM

Fuel pump gasket

1 Attachment(s)
Today the fuel pump starting leaking profusely spewing gas out the back at the top in the '32 5 window. It has an electric pump used to "help". Looking at the pics in the Green book the presumed culprit is gasket part# 9364. I did some looking and couldn't find anything specific to that part #. According to the Green book (if I read it correctly) the same pump was used rom '32 to '46. There must be an easy way to replace this. Also, before we start to open it up and inspect is there something we should be concerned about, like exploding spring loaded parts, etc? Damn thing has only been running since 1972. Thanks to all.

Charlie ny 07-19-2020 09:51 PM

Re: Fuel pump gasket

Any vintage Ford parts supplier will have that gasket....nothing will fly out when you remove the tin dome.
Charlie ny

JM 35 Sedan 07-19-2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcarman (Post 1911154)
Today the fuel pump starting leaking profusely spewing gas out the back at the top in the '32 5 window. It has an electric pump used to "help". Looking at the pics in the Green book the presumed culprit is gasket part# 9364. I did some looking and couldn't find anything specific to that part #. According to the Green book (if I read it correctly) the same pump was used from '32 to '46. There must be an easy way to replace this. Also, before we start to open it up and inspect is there something we should be concerned about, like exploding spring loaded parts, etc? Damn thing has only been running since 1972. Thanks to all.

If the information above in red is mentioned in the Green Book, that is definately not correct.

tomcarman 07-19-2020 10:29 PM

Thank you sir. Until we open it up to verify that's what failed I like to have some knowledge. I'm sure most of us have opened a spring loaded part only to have it explode parts in all different directions. We're not knowledgable experienced mechanics but certainly know how to wrench. I can't believe it failed after getting it running again in '72. The crap you get these days! Sheesh. (LOL)

tomcarman 07-19-2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 1911173)
If the information above in red is mentioned in the Green Book, that is definately not correct.

Thank you sir. The photo was snapped from my cell phone from page 380 of the Green book today. At the bottom of the page as you can see it states: 1932-46 8 cylinder fuel pump. I have just today started familiarizing myself on how to read the information and I may very well be mistaken. I have much to learn.

JSeery 07-20-2020 01:10 PM

If your referring to a diagram, these are the base numbers. You have to look up that number to see what prefix and/or sefex works for your year/model.

JSeery 07-20-2020 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the Chart from the Green Book:

tomcarman 08-03-2020 09:17 PM

Got the gasket and getting ready to put things back together. As long as we're there I want to check the fuel pressure PSI to the carb. Did a search here and from what I see the proper fuel pressure about 2 1/2 PSI? Stock '33 engine, stock carb. Wasn't able to find factory type specs.