The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   clutch fork busted (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166119)

briphaeton 04-10-2015 07:20 PM

clutch fork busted

I pulled my engine today because of clutch problems and found the clutch fork had one arm broken off. This is the first time I've seen this happen. My other car is having a similar problem and afraid to drive it much out off town.
Brian

Dave Mellor NJ 04-10-2015 11:00 PM

Re: clutch fork busted

It's a fairly common A quirk. They usually break right at the cross pin hole. Old timers kept a spare.

RandyinUtah 04-11-2015 12:18 AM

If the old times kept a spare is something that can be changed without pulling the transmission?

RonC 04-11-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Mellor NJ (Post 1067112)
It's a fairly common A quirk. They usually break right at the cross pin hole. Old timers kept a spare.

I never heard of anyone breaking a clutch fork? Do you mean clutch lever?

briphaeton 04-11-2015 09:26 AM

Not the lever or arm, It's the fork that pushes the throw bearing forward. By the way I also carry a clutch arm (lever) while out of town.
Thanks
Brian

Big hammer 04-11-2015 12:00 PM

I have changed gears not using clutch 2nd to 3rd easier than 1st to 2nd
going into 1st or rev no way You might put into the gear before starting engine and then
bang into gear to get you home. Not for daily use but just to get you home

Mike V. Florida 04-11-2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyinUtah (Post 1067125)
If the old times kept a spare is something that can be changed without pulling the transmission?

Don't see how.

Tom Wesenberg 04-12-2015 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC (Post 1067204)
I never heard of anyone breaking a clutch fork? Do you mean clutch lever?

I have a spare fork that has a crack at the keyway. It isn't completely broken, but will never be installed.

Pilotdave 04-12-2015 10:58 AM

I suppose that a very patient person could change that fork without removing the engine and flywheel. You'd have to "operate" through the inspection opening - and be able to drive the old pin out, then pull the shaft out the side of the housing (hoping that the fork will slide off Woodruff key), then reverse the process including driving in a new pin!

I just replaced the fork and shaft in my Tudor. They are the newer versions of both. Both are repro parts. No Woodruff key but a larger diameter pin. The arms on the fork had a flat surface and a rounded surface. The fork should be installed with the rounded surface against the shoulders on the throwout bearing casting.

briphaeton 04-13-2015 05:25 PM

I would say it's almost impossible to change the fork unless you pull the engine. I had to use a hammer to tap the fork off the shaft. Tom Endy wrote a article about the service bulletins getting it wrong. Ford possibly changed the fork design with the 5/16 pin in June 1929.