The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Perhaps Another "Dumb" Question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296968)

RKS.PA 04-07-2021 05:53 PM

Perhaps Another "Dumb" Question

I've blocked off the heat risers on my 59AB and love the "rapping" sound out the tail pipes. I have Red's Headers and Smithy mufflers.

Does blocking the heat risers also cause a chugging type sound under load...almost like an exhaust leak.

I've checked for leaks and can't find anything abnormal in the exhaust plumbing.

Has anyone else experienced this or do I need to dig deeper??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

drolston 04-07-2021 07:18 PM

Re: Perhaps Another "Dumb" Question

Done a compression test lately?

JSeery 04-07-2021 07:37 PM

The short answer is no, unless something else lead to a leak in the process. How did you block them?

ford38v8 04-07-2021 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 2004879)
The short answer is no, unless something else lead to a leak in the process. How did you block them?

Wheatstalk pennies in the heat riser holes in the block. Wheatstalk for the alloy metal.

Scotty's 52 F3 04-07-2021 11:09 PM

My exhaust sounds different with the heat risers blocked too. I have been driving it that way a few years.

RKS.PA 04-07-2021 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 2004879)

I blocked them with a piece of thin stainless on each side, held in place by the intake manifold gasket.

JSeery 04-08-2021 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKS.PA (Post 2004931)
I blocked them with a piece of thin stainless on each side, held in place by the intake manifold gasket.

I would check to make sure there are no leaks around that area on the intake manifold, but it should be fine.

I like to old Hot Rod wheat penny method, it should be your birth year.

RKS.PA 05-08-2021 05:58 PM

Thanks to all who replied....and I could have used two 1943 pennies...they are steel and are now "collector's items"!!

After checking intake manifold and header flange gaskets, turns out it was a small exhaust leak where the left connector pipe attached to the header....just a pin hole I couldn't see until I took the old pipe off. A new left connector pipe and a new Smithy muffler, installed with JB Weld muffler cement cured the noise.

As someone said here on another thread in the last few days, taking these things off once installed is a real "bear"

Great service from Victor and Liz at Red's!!! Much appreciated!!!

coolcoupe 05-08-2021 06:15 PM

I have totally forgot what the benefit of the pennies was and does it need to steel pennies ?

ford38v8 05-08-2021 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcoupe (Post 2014841)
I have totally forgot what the benefit of the pennies was and does it need to steel pennies ?

Cool coupe, long story here. Heat risers help vaporize the fuel when the engine is cold. Makes for a quicker warmup. A side effect of these heat risers is that they connect the two exhaust systems directly, going through the intake manifold, thereby buffering each other’s noise level. Pennies are sized perfectly to tap into the holes in the block under the manifold, and don’t interfere with the gasket, as is possible if shim stock is used. Wheatstalk pennies are of a good alloy for the purpose, not causing electrolysis. Guys used to select pennies from the year of their birth for the heck of it, and the 1943 steel pennies should work as well. Modern pennies not so well, not a good alloy. Two reasons for blocking heat risers. One, the flathead exhaust rap is accentuated, which brings a smile to my face, and two, blocking these ports helps dump heat directly to the exhaust rather than saturating the manifold with excess heat.

tubman 05-08-2021 08:46 PM

I like "Dumb Questions"; they seem to be the only kind I can answer.

flatjack9 05-08-2021 10:30 PM

Sorry, but personally I would not do that to my engine.

coolcoupe 05-09-2021 01:15 AM

Thanks Alan, I had heard of this years ago but thought someone was just joking with me.
Flatjack. Is there a reason you wouldn't do that to your engine ? Just wondering what the downside is. Moe

Ol' Ron 05-09-2021 06:44 AM

I don't recommend this either, probably runs rich in cruise?? Flatheads sound great!

mumpsimus 05-09-2021 04:23 PM

I’d like to keep the intake cool, but don’t need a raspy sound from the exhaust. Maybe I’ll try some pennies though and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flatjack9 05-09-2021 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcoupe (Post 2014921)
Thanks Alan, I had heard of this years ago but thought someone was just joking with me.
Flatjack. Is there a reason you wouldn't do that to your engine ? Just wondering what the downside is. Moe

The heat helps to keep the fuel atomized for better fuel distribution and makes for a better running, more efficient engine.

mumpsimus 05-09-2021 10:20 PM

That's true in cold weather, but in hot weather the intake charge does well when cooled. I don't drive in cold weather.