The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Roof Insulation for Victoria/Closed Car - Suggestions? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139609)

tquigley 05-15-2014 10:35 AM

Roof Insulation for Victoria/Closed Car - Suggestions?

Seeking suggestions for material to use in the roof of the Victoria. I have insulated and sound deadened the entire body, but need to install some means of insulation or sound-deadener under the overhead fabric headliner. Bubble pack is unsatisfactory because it makes noise while traveling down the road. The top material moves enough to create that "crinkling" sound. The boss hates it. Suggestions?

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-15-2014 12:44 PM

Re: Roof Insulation for Victoria/Closed Car - Suggestions?

11 Attachment(s)
Like this????

clocey 05-15-2014 01:32 PM

Nice work Brent! I wish I would have seen this or thought of it before I installed my roof

Tom from Drippin' 05-15-2014 02:01 PM

I insulated mine after the roof was done.
I ran mechanics wire through small holes drilled in the roof bows, about 1/4" above the bottoms, and used screw eyes at both the front and rear. I think I had 5 runs.
After the wires were in place i cut bubble insulation to fit between the bows and slid it in.

29Cabriolet 05-15-2014 02:25 PM

Slightly OT: I was wondering what is the best materials to insulate? I've found some R13 insulation in the rear quarter panels, doors and lower cowl installed a few years ago when the car was rebuilt. It's old and kind of messed up. So was planning on replacing with same, but this thread got me wondering about what others may be doing for this. The material in the photos looks like padding, not unlike what is used under carpets in one's living room. Am I right?

Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks!

Gunmetal blue2 05-15-2014 02:59 PM

There is insulation and sound dieding material called Dyna Mate and Cool Mate. The Dyna Mate is insulation and sound dieding and has silver like material the reflects the sun rays and heat. Sorry about the misspelling that was not one of my better things in life. Nice Job your doing there.

RobertB 05-15-2014 03:04 PM

In one of my British cars, I used a hot water heater insulation kit. It's about 1/2 inch thick, fiberglass insulation, and has plastic lining both sides.

It worked for me.

MAG 05-15-2014 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used Foil Backed fiberglass insulation. The type used in heating and air conditioning ducts. It is about 1 1/2" thick. Ran it in strips lengthwise and removed the insulation for the roof bows. Chicken wire on top of the foil.
Apologize for the poor quality pic.

Tom Wesenberg 05-15-2014 03:39 PM

I don't like to use the pink fiberglass insulation, or any other insulation that can absorb moisture. In the late 70's I had to remove the pink insulation from a customers late model Dodge van. The junk had jammed the window regulator and rusted out the door bottoms.

KGBnut 05-16-2014 12:47 PM

In addition to insulation, I made sure to quiet down any spot where parts meet. I put a strip of Gorilla brand duct tape anywhere two pieces of wood meet, and even more importantly, anywhere wood meets metal. Dang, but those spots can squeak! The Gorilla tape really did the trick.

Also, be sure to pad where the chicken wire slaps against the roof bows.

Ken