The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   throttle linkage Q.. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53872)

hardtimes 11-21-2011 03:03 PM

throttle linkage Q..

Evidently, a lot of Model A owners utilize downdraft carbs. I'm asking questions regarding your linkage design/fabrication setup, because I'm always looking for improvements. Is there any source that fabs/sells such custom/professional linkage..or are you on your own in this endeavor? The stock model a linkage just is not designed for downdraft. Pictures of your successful fabrication would be great to share.

CarlG 11-21-2011 04:05 PM

Re: throttle linkage Q..

The linkage for my Weber downdraft came with the "kit" -- Carb, Filter, Manifold & Linkage. Plug & Play!

Charlie Stephens 11-21-2011 04:13 PM

There is a lever that mounts to a threaded boss on many manifolds. You could fabricate one but a cast one that looks good used to be carried by Sacramento Ford Parts, vintageford.com.

Charlie Stephens

miss victoria 11-21-2011 04:58 PM

linkage and manifolds on ebay go to model a ford weber carb manifold / linkage. item#280774211472 and 280774211001

hardtimes 11-21-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 310966)
There is a lever that mounts to a threaded boss on many manifolds. You could fabricate one but a cast one that looks good used to be carried by Sacramento Ford Parts, vintageford.com.

Charlie Stephens

I'll check out these leads.
Also wondering if anyone has tried to use or thot about using a '32 four cylinder 'cowl' mounted 'spoon' pedal setup. It is long and brings the actuating arm fully across the cowl to an area parallel to the downdraft carb throttle actuating arm?

Charlie Stephens 11-22-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardtimes (Post 311188)
I'll check out these leads.
Also wondering if anyone has tried to use or thot about using a '32 four cylinder 'cowl' mounted 'spoon' pedal setup. It is long and brings the actuating arm fully across the cowl to an area parallel to the downdraft carb throttle actuating arm?

What are you trying to accomplish? The throttle assembly where it attaches to the rod going to the carburetor ends up in the same place on a Model A and Model B. What are you working on? If it's an A or B just use the pedal assembly designed for the car. Post if it is something else like a home built speedster.

Charlie Stephens

hardtimes 11-24-2011 12:12 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 311788)
What are you trying to accomplish? The throttle assembly where it attaches to the rod going to the carburetor ends up in the same place on a Model A and Model B. What are you working on? If it's an A or B just use the pedal assembly designed for the car. Post if it is something else like a home built speedster.

Charlie Stephens

Charlie,
I am working at getting "full" pedal and easily on the assembly that is pictured.
Presently, with floor mat/backing and original foot pedal linkage, I'm getting about half throttle. As pics show the linkage, as configured, does not have sufficient travel with foot pedal to flr mat ...for other end to open carbs fully. In other words there is insufficient travel of (pictured) right end of (STOCK) throttle linkage. Bending won't help anything. I think that it's a matter of leverage...that is , end of stock link is too short:confused:
And, this setup is not parallel, but downward pointed. Whereas, I think that the '32 that can be mounted on cowl (as on '32) can eliminate the intake mounted manifold lever (bellcrank) and be connected , via rod directly to carb.
Make any sense and or suggestions from what you see??

Geo. H 11-24-2011 01:14 AM

You're probably going to have to custom make what you need. Problems I see are too low of a pivot on your manifold, and exhaust header interference. I don't see where the 32 pedal would help.

1931 flamingo 11-24-2011 10:12 AM

What if you put the top of your verticle arm on the bottom?? Or make a new verticle arm altogether??
Paul in CT

hardtimes 11-24-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo. H (Post 312351)
You're probably going to have to custom make what you need. Problems I see are too low of a pivot on your manifold, and exhaust header interference. I don't see where the 32 pedal would help.

No header interference...that is, appears closer in pic than is:).
Pivot point is valid question ! thanks...Yeah, custom mabe it,eh?

hardtimes 11-24-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 312511)
What if you put the top of your verticle arm on the bottom?? Or make a new verticle arm altogether??
Paul in CT

Good ideas , thanks !

Hmm, where's that fab guy (bchoppit??) mabe he has some fab input:)

Anyway, happy turkey day to all youse fordbarners and family today !!

V4F 11-24-2011 03:08 PM

the stock foot pedal wants to push & the carb wants to be pulled . the bell crank changes the pedal motion to a pull . build a flat aluminum lever ( 1x1/8") & attache it to the manifold , but leave a space so it will move freely . make it about 10" long & drill holes for the pivot & linkage to bolt to . drill the pivot hole about 4" from the bottom , then drill one hole at the bottom & top . use the linkage ends that snap over a ball (like on your stock pedal) .
i had to bend the linkage to get around my header on the bottom . also i bent the top (above the pivot hole) to match up with the carb . depending on how far your pedal will push the bell crank will determine the length of the rods ......... clear as mud ? .. steve

hardtimes 11-24-2011 11:22 PM

Thanks Steve! I got your pics and will study your creation !

model.A.keith 11-25-2011 01:33 PM

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...dkeith/005.jpg

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...dkeith/192.jpg

Work in (slow) porgress..........the aim is to get the 'bell crank' vertical.....and shorten the control rods to length, using a threaded bar set in the middle of each rod........as i said slow progress at the moment.

keith

2935ford 11-25-2011 02:25 PM

Here is a system I used on a single downdraft. It was an Ansen intake w/header all from Red's Headers. He still carries them.
Worked very well.

2935ford 11-25-2011 02:33 PM

Here is the same car different motor dual downdraft setup (similar to yours).......still using the stock pedal arm.

Also looks like you need to turn your arm so the two holes are at the bottom.

hardtimes 11-25-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2935ford (Post 313115)
Here is the same car different motor dual downdraft setup (similar to yours).......still using the stock pedal arm.

Also looks like you need to turn your arm so the two holes are at the bottom.

2935 ford,
Your second pic is a bit blurry to my ole eyes, but it kinda confirms what an early conclusion ...that I've come to, that is- that the SLANTED LINKAGE in your first pic , in my pic and in several other pics that guys have sent me is WRONG ! You are correct, I believe, that my bellcrank is not correctly positioned. BUT this bellcrank is NOT going to correct the problem like your SECOND pic linkage has corrected it! Your improvised bellcrank shows horizontal/parallel linkage and more correct use of mechanical leverage...thanks for your ideas/input
Anyone got something better...please show is a pic:)

Nosetime 09-12-2020 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
with Stromberg Bullet ends, thread your own custom length rod. Secrets of Speed has a diagram on building an easy linkage

john in illinois 09-12-2020 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just fabbed up a flat arm and put different spaced holes on each end. It is just a ratio you are looking for.

John