The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   93 octane fuel (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286421)

mike1934 08-30-2020 02:34 PM

93 octane fuel

Will 93 octane fuel make my engine chugg

Ronnieroadster 08-30-2020 03:00 PM

Re: 93 octane fuel

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1934 (Post 1925783)
Will 93 octane fuel make my engine chugg

No it would not

JSeery 08-30-2020 05:13 PM

Shouldn't need that high an octane fuel unless you are running a high compression ratio. But to high an octane shouldn't cause a driving issue. How about bad fuel? I have seen several cases where the fuel (at the supple station) is contaminated with something, like diesel or water, etc.

rotorwrench 08-30-2020 05:32 PM

The chugg description will need further clarification. At what rpm is this chug and is it when the engine is under load or no? Engines will miss and rpm fluctuations can happen under certain conditions but the only thing that chugs is a steam engine in my way of thinking. Stuck valves can cause after fire in the exhaust and a lean fuel mixture can cause backfire through the carburetor. These would be like the definition of "chug" when related to motor vehicles.

JWL 08-30-2020 05:36 PM

The question, as asked, cannot be answered. Please define what "chugg" means? Running octane much higher than the requirements of the engine can cause some performance issues but I would not refer to that as being a "chugg".

warhorseracing 08-30-2020 05:55 PM

Higher octane fuel burns slower than a lower octane number. Higher compression ratios require a slower burn rate than lower compression ratios. Did the engine "chug" before you tried the 93 Octane fuel?

mrtexas 08-30-2020 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warhorseracing (Post 1925855)
Higher octane fuel burns slower than a lower octane number. Higher compression ratios require a slower burn rate than lower compression ratios. Did the engine "chug" before you tried the 93 Octane fuel?

Higher octane fuel has more resistance to pre-ignition, it is more resistant to ignite due to compression. In a gasoline engine you want the fuel ignition to be by the spark plugs.

It doesn't have any more energy or higher performance. In a flathead it is a waste of money.

warhorseracing 08-30-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrtexas (Post 1925878)
Higher octane fuel has more resistance to pre-ignition, it is more resistant to ignite due to compression. In a gasoline engine you want the fuel ignition to be by the spark plugs.

It doesn't have any more energy or higher performance. In a flathead it is a waste of money.

That is what the slow burn of higher octane does is slow down the ignition rate to burn slower. Exactly, a waste in any flathead unless running extreme compression or forced induction. Even then it depends on the timing and static compression ratio.

corvette8n 09-02-2020 08:01 AM

I run non ethanol fuel which only comes in 93 octane in my area, no problems in my ‘41 or the snow blower, lawnmower.

marko39 09-02-2020 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corvette8n (Post 1926692)
I run non ethanol fuel which only comes in 93 octane in my area, no problems in my ‘41 or the snow blower, lawnmower.

It sure makes my 40 year old chain saw start easier and run better.

Karl 09-04-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko39 (Post 1926712)
It sure makes my 40 year old chain saw start easier and run better.

My impression and my friends who have used higher octane gas in a variety of vintage vehicles is the car runs better -However its probably pyschological rather than scientific . The same pyschology that gets millions adding useless fuel additives to the gas tank.

Tim Ayers 09-04-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl (Post 1927591)
My impression and my friends who have used higher octane gas in a variety of vintage vehicles is the car runs better -However its probably pyschological rather than scientific . The same pyschology that gets millions adding useless fuel additives to the gas tank.

I think he is referring to non-ethanol gas. I agree 100%. The ethanol gas causes havoc in small engines and motorcycles if left to sit for any extended period; even with Sta-bil, etc. in it.

GB SISSON 09-04-2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl (Post 1927591)

When my dad was growing up in SE Massachusetts in the '30s, they lived behind his stepdad's gas station on rt 6. They sold something like 8 brands of gasoline. Flying A, Mobilgas etc and the loyal customers would swear by their particular favorite brand of gas... "ol Bessie won't even climb a hill on the cheapass stuff you're filling up on". Well, years later Dad told me they only had One underground tank and it was re-filled at night by a flat black painted fuel truck...