The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thats it for me (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238004)

oldredford 01-26-2018 05:20 PM

Thats it for me

Just lost another electronic module on my way to eat. Luckily I had a spare breaker point distributor all built up ready to go. Installed the distributor and fired right up. So much for modern reliable electronic ignition. Please don't tell me it was a bad ground....

michael a 01-26-2018 05:38 PM

Re: Thats it for me

Are you 6 or 12 volt and what kind of coil are you using

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Jwilli 01-26-2018 05:42 PM

At least you were prepared. Hope you had a great meal.

F.M. 01-26-2018 05:44 PM

You want it ??, Is FREE in the for sale section !!

Mike V. Florida 01-26-2018 11:54 PM

Newer is not always better. It is my belief that electronics want and need the cleanest of electrical power. Generators without regulators, bad alternators, old wiring, corroded connections, etc all lend themselves to glitches and voltage spikes that will fry stuff.

Chuck Sea/Tac 01-27-2018 01:34 AM

Interesting thought. Maybe that explains why I’ve got 35,000 on my ignition. I have had an electronic regulator since day one as well.? I do go thru and clean connections and grounds every couple of years.

roy green coupe 01-27-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1584699)
Newer is not always better. It is my belief that electronics want and need the cleanest of electrical power. Generators without regulators, bad alternators, old wiring, corroded connections, etc all lend themselves to glitches and voltage spikes that will fry stuff.

Recently I was working in our kitchen tiling the floor, my wife walked in with her Samsung tablet to show me a video. I reached over to raise the volume while she was holding it. Well, a big spark from static electricity shot out my finger and that computer was dead as a doornail. Yes indeed electronics can be very sensitive.

denis4x4 01-27-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldredford (Post 1584559)
Just lost another electronic module on my way to eat. Luckily I had a spare breaker point distributor all built up ready to go. Installed the distributor and fired right up. So much for modern reliable electronic ignition. Please don't tell me it was a bad ground....

It would be nice if you posted some details as to your set up so that we can make an educated guess as to why you went through 2 modules. What time period? What brand? What coil? 6 or 12 volts? Never had a failure in 30 plus year that was not self inflicted (twice).

Purdy Swoft 01-27-2018 01:19 PM

Too many things can cause complete failure of electronic ignition for my use . I use a mostly original distributor with a Stipe distributor cam , with 10 degrees more dwell . I use a .035 gap at the rotor tip for hotter spark at the plugs . I also recommend a Pertronix 40.000 volt flame thrower coil . Part #40611 . I run 12 volts with a completely unmodified original generator and use a Fun Projects can style voltage regulator . This setup uses original points . I get instant starts and much hotter spark . This setup gives more power that you can actually feel in the seat of your pants. After installing the Flamethrower coil the engine runs so much more efficiently that I had to idle down the carbs . This system looks completely stock and is just as simple as original .

denniskliesen 01-27-2018 04:34 PM

Purdy, is that the oil or epoxy filled coil?

CarlG 01-27-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denniskliesen (Post 1584906)
Purdy, is that the oil or epoxy filled coil?

Epoxy

Purdy Swoft 01-27-2018 05:31 PM

I'm using the epoxy filled version . 3.0 ohm

Purdy Swoft 01-27-2018 05:35 PM

Sorry , I got distracted for a while and just now saw the question . Thanks CarlG.

barkleydave 01-27-2018 06:45 PM

No problems with a number of cars and a large boat with twin with Pertronix Ignitors in them.

I do not care what folks are using! Tired of that discussion. I am interested in what caused the fault and failure. We have one in the family car where the module has been in since 1997 perfectly and 40K miles. Clean electrical, 12V alternator 1.4 Ohm coil with external ballast resistor.

So something is causing the problem we would all like to know what it might be.

If using a 12 Volt setup and using a 3.0 ohm coil an external resistor is not used.

1wonton 01-27-2018 07:09 PM

What's a module? I couldn't find one in the parts book.

F.M. 01-27-2018 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1wonton (Post 1584955)
What's a module? I couldn't find one in the parts book.

I think its in the Restoration Guidelines..

Tom Wesenberg 01-27-2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy green coupe (Post 1584763)
Recently I was working in our kitchen tiling the floor, my wife walked in with her Samsung tablet to show me a video. I reached over to raise the volume while she was holding it. Well, a big spark from static electricity shot out my finger and that computer was dead as a doornail. Yes indeed electronics can be very sensitive.

Oh boy!
Now in a week or two we'll be seeing TV lawyers suing the tile company for not having a static electricity warning. :D

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-28-2018 08:26 AM

We all know that Electronic Ignition is a GOOD thing, but most can FUTZ around with a Test Light & diagnose & fix a STOCK system. If you get your head "straight", fixin' electrical stuff can be FUN!!
Bill Simple

jrelliott 01-28-2018 10:41 AM

Generators are noisy and the DC coming out of them contains spikes as the brushes move from one section of the armature to another. Try looking at this on an oscilloscope and you would be amazed at the signal. That is also one of the reasons a digital voltmeter goes all over the place when measuring voltage when the generator is working. Analog meters dampen out the highs and lows. The battery acts like a LARGE capacitor as it tries to smooth out the output of the generator and get it close to the voltage of the battery. My own theory is that you have some bad connections somewhere that is allowing the generator voltage to get above the electronic ignition module operating voltage.

CWPASADENA 01-28-2018 10:42 PM

When electronic distributors work, they are great.

However, I use my cars and do not want to be sitting on the side of the road trying to figure out if it is the electronics that died or is it something else.

The original point system is very reliable and works just fine for me.

It is very easy to adjust and trouble shoot if a problem should occur.

However, you can not expect to get good reliability from a worn out stock distributor. Everything must be in good condition to start with.

I also have original pop-out ignition switches which do not work well with most electronic distributors.

Again, this is JUST MY OPINION, others may have different ideas which is fine with me.

Chris W