The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Exhaust manifold for model B engine (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287338)

Daba 09-16-2020 08:06 PM

Exhaust manifold for model B engine

Exhaust manifold for model B engine?
Does anybody know if a 30-31 model a exhaust manifold will fit on a model B motor? Mine is almost split in half I may need to get it welded or find a new one. Thanks again Daba

Charlie Stephens 09-16-2020 08:37 PM

Re: Exhaust manifold for model B engine

The Model B exhaust manifold will bolt right on to a Model A motor. The problem comes from the fact that the Model B manifold exhaust pipe goes down at about 45 degrees while the Model A goes straight down. What vehicle do you have?

Charlie Stephens

CWPASADENA 09-16-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daba (Post 1932414)
Exhaust manifold for model B engine?
Does anybody know if a 30-31 model a exhaust manifold will fit on a model B motor? Mine is almost split in half I may need to get it welded or find a new one. Thanks again Daba

Are you looking for an exhaust manifold for a Model B engine installed in a Model A chassis or a Model B engine installed in a '32 chassis, or a Model B engine in a 33-34 chassis?

If in a Model A Chassis, use a Model A Manifold which are available new.

If in a '32 chassis, only a '32 Model B manifold will work. These are not available new but if you need one, I have a good used one.

If it is in a 33-34 Chassis, use a Model A manifold, they are the same as '33-'34.

Chris W.

Daba 09-17-2020 06:38 AM

I have a Model 31 A with a model B engine the exhaust manifold is cracked pretty good around cylinder three, I may try to get it welded today just wondering if a Model A would fit as I believe that’s what’s in there. Thanks again

jetmek 09-17-2020 06:47 AM

They are interchangeable except for the outlet angle. Id advise against trying to weld it. I probably have several if you care to trek to albany. Or check with tams for a used one

Bob Bidonde 09-17-2020 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A Model "A" exhaust manifold fits onto a Model "B" engine without any modifications, and it installs in same way it did on the Model "A." The photo is of the Model "B" engine in my 190A. However, if you have a 1932 - 1934 Ford, the exhaust pipes will not fit-up to the Model "A" exhaust manifold. The exhaust pipe (AKA muffler assembly) must be of a Model "A."

Big hammer 09-17-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daba (Post 1932495)
I have a Model 31 A with a model B engine the exhaust manifold is cracked pretty good around cylinder three, I may try to get it welded today just wondering if a Model A would fit as I believe that’s what’s in there. Thanks again

I wouldn't waste your time trying to weld it, new or used manifolds are inexpensive! If you're just wanting to weld for practice, have fun