The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Port & Polish Engine (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284805)

Cape Codder 07-30-2020 12:50 PM

Port & Polish Engine

Does anyone Port and Polish their engine when rebuilding or afterwards? Is there any real advantage to doing this on a Model A Engine?

Cape Codder 07-30-2020 01:05 PM

Re: Port & Polish Engine

Why is there a "thumbs down" symbol next to the title in my post?

ryanheacox 07-30-2020 01:09 PM

No clue on the thumbs down...

As far as port and polish. I doubt it would make much difference, if any, in a stock engine. In a performance engine where you're trying to eek out as much power as you can then it probably would help.

40 Deluxe 07-30-2020 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cape Codder (Post 1914743)
Does anyone Port and Polish their engine when rebuilding or afterwards? Is there any real advantage to doing this on a Model A Engine?

Porting and polishing are just one part of a high performance build. On a stock or near stock engine there is no gain, unless there's a casting flaw to smooth out.

Ruth 07-30-2020 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cape Codder (Post 1914752)
Why is there a "thumbs down" symbol next to the title in my post?

I believe you are the only one that can edit your title. Perhaps you mistakenly hit the down thumb button? (notice my up thumb).

Quote:

Only porting I would suggest is opening up the 'A' manifold when using a 'B' carby.

Cape Codder 07-30-2020 02:37 PM

Well I must give all three of you a "THUMBS UP" for responding and answering my post!
Thanks again!!

Patrick L. 07-30-2020 02:39 PM

Yes to port and polish, but, I never have with a Model A.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-30-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Indirectly, yes we do when we install oversized intake valves as we enlarge the bowl area by 0.100". Port matching is another area to gain performance. One thing that I will share with you is the technology of polishing has changed where that is not what is typically done. Blending and dimpling (-think surface of a golf ball) is where the most advantage is gained on high-performance engines.

Pete 07-30-2020 03:52 PM

A definite increase in hp can be had by porting and PORT MATCHING on a stock engine.
Bigger is better. A larger ID intake manifold and carb will add more hp. A exhaust header will add more.
Brent mentions the best type surface finish for intakes but in lieu of that a stone finish is next. The exhaust should be polished smooth as possible.

Pete 07-30-2020 03:52 PM

john in illinois 07-30-2020 04:17 PM

I think larger intake valves help more than porting. I have them and they give good power. I also have a Stipe cam and HC head. It all works together.

John

Synchro909 07-30-2020 08:39 PM

IMO, porting and polishing a stock Model A engine doesn't make much difference but it does help - a little.
For a real boost to performance, there are the three Cs". Carb, Cam and Compression. A little on each will give amazing results. Porting and polishing helps with the "Carb" part of that.

hardtimes 07-31-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Pete gives you best information, that addresses the question asked ! And is what I've practiced for many years.
Your choice !

Purdy Swoft 08-01-2020 10:35 AM

I enlarged the intake ports a bit before installing a dual updraft intake manifold and model B carbs on my roadster . I don't polish intake ports on engines that run updraft carbs .

Patrick L. 08-01-2020 10:51 AM

Hmmm, I posted agreeing with Brent and Pete. Don't know where it went. But it was probably my fault.

Bob Bidonde 08-01-2020 11:08 AM

This video is for a single cylinder Flathead motor, but it is similar to the configuration of a cylinder in a Model "A" engine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Li-mwjvlg

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-01-2020 12:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1915509)
This video is for a single cylinder Flathead motor, but it is similar to the configuration of a cylinder in a Model "A" engine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Li-mwjvlg

Bob, what he is calling "shaving the eyebrows" was originally what was the relieved part was back in the 40s & 50s when they said 'Port & Relieved on a flathead Ford.

The biggest two things that I came out of this video is; 1) there is not any flow numbers on the before and after to see whether he actually did any good. Often times, you can hurt flow by grinding away metal.

And 2), the Briggs do not deal with reversion like the Model-A/B engines do because of the Ford's shared intake port. I first became educated on serious horsepower of a flathead from my son's early racing days with a kart and a jr. dragster. The R&D that has been spent in the Briggs world is unreal.

Patrick L. 08-01-2020 12:58 PM

'The R&D that has been spent in the Briggs world is unreal.'

Boy, I guess so. A good friend became 'crew chief' for his son starting with mic-rods and then go-karts. It surprising how far these guys have taken these B&S engines since I was playing with them in the early 60s.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-01-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1915535)
Boy, I guess so. A good friend became 'crew chief' for his son starting with mic-rods and then go-karts. It surprising how far these guys have taken these B&S engines since I was playing with them in the early 60s.

We have not been around Jr. racing in over 15 years, but back then the single-cylinder Briggs engine in our dragster made a tad more horsepower than a stock Model-A engine, and back then those engines cost about what a rebuilt long-block Model-A engine did. I feel certain these engines are making well over 50 hp today.

Patrick L. 08-01-2020 02:49 PM

Amazing. I thought if we were getting 7-8 HP out of a 5 HP we were doing good. I think in my friends time they were doing around 20 HP. I can't even think about 40-50 !