The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Charging /Alternator ?? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148621)

BILL WZOREK 09-03-2014 03:51 AM

Charging /Alternator ??

Went for a short ride last night with SHEBA !!!
( :D o yea My wife Lee also :D)
The engine is a 8CM the alternator is a 1 wire Delco 12V
The thing is That I have to ( here is a old expression you young pups )
JAZZ it up a bit ( race up the RPM'S ) to get the alternator to start charging But when driving around a residential area at a nice running speed ( some thing like 1200 /1500 RPM'S ) the alternator stops charging.
I know the pulley size can effect this What size pulley should I have on there? Also is that measurement taken on the outside of the pulley or on the inside of the groove ?
I think it's the outside @ least that's how it was with Construction equipment But I do know if automotive is the same.

THANKS

41ford1 09-03-2014 07:16 AM

Re: Charging /Alternator ??

That is how a one wire gets started. They need some revs to wake up. I don't believe they go back into off mode when the battery is fully charged. Someone else may chime in. The only experience I've had with these is in a V6 powered boat.

I don't think changing the pulley will change the way they work.

Vic Piano 09-03-2014 07:35 AM

Chuck is right about the way one wire alts work. Just to be on the 'safe side', before you embark on the upcoming journey to the Shine Fest, I'd add a new Alt. to the list of parts to go into the trunk, next to the tool box...

paleot 09-03-2014 07:53 AM

If it starts charging after another Rev Up as you are driving, something is wrong with it. If it does not, the internal regulator has probably sensed battery at full charge. Hook up a temp volt meter see what voltage looks like in battery. Mine does that in My 53 and my 51 no problems with either one!

BILL WZOREK 09-03-2014 08:28 AM

My gut feeling is And tell me if I am correct.
Once kicked it and charging it should keep charging at a idle / when this one goes to idle it needs to get excited before it starts charging again ~~
( maybe I have to tell her we are going on the WHITE KNUCKEL TOUR ~~
that should EXCITE her enough ) >>WHAT SAY YOU<<

koates 09-03-2014 09:34 AM

Bill, If you had bought a three wire alternator in the first place those problems would not exist. It seems many people buy the one wire alternator because its easier to wire up (slightly). Its been stated that if you fit a 24 volt stator winding to your one wire then it will charge at idle, but I have not tried this. Check in the search box as there is lots of info on your single wire alternator problem. Regards, Kevin.

V8 Bob 09-03-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK (Post 939340)
My gut feeling is And tell me if I am correct.
Once kicked it and charging it should keep charging at a idle / when this one goes to idle it needs to get excited before it starts charging again ~~
( maybe I have to tell her we are going on the WHITE KNUCKEL TOUR ~~
that should EXCITE her enough ) >>WHAT SAY YOU<<

One problem may have to do with your system current draw at idle/low speeds, like electric fans, lights, heater motor etc. v.s. the alternator output at those speeds.
The other problem is...one wire alternators. Much better to change to the standard 3 wire factory design. Along with better overall performance, no more need to "rev" to excite the regulator

prpmmp 09-03-2014 12:23 PM

Changed both of my 1 wire to 3 wire after reading this. Pete http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...hreewire.shtml

adileo 09-05-2014 05:53 AM

I added a second wire for my 1 wire alt to a good ground. It works fine. Is yours grounded well?

ford38v8 09-05-2014 09:00 AM

Bill, All of the above, and one more possible cause for you: The small pulley on your alternator is really too small to get a good grip on your belt. At high rev OK, but at idle it begins to slip and allows the alternator to take a snooze. Try adjusting your belt tension and using belt dressing to confirm this as a cause.

Ross F-1 09-05-2014 09:21 AM

Is this an older 1-wire? Some of the older conversions had regulators that were just lousy. I've got a 65-amp 1-wire bought in '04 from Certified Electric and it charges instantly, always.

Mine is wired with the output going to the circuit breakers and ammeter via #8 wire, with a #8 wire back to the battery. If they are wired with the output going directly to the battery, and the wiring to the loads wasn't upsized when the conversion was done, it can make for slow response.

ford3 09-05-2014 04:56 PM

one thing not mentioned about 1 wire altenators is they may not break connection when the motor is stopped, the alt may stay excited and run down your battery over nite, that has happened to me several times

adileo 09-05-2014 05:29 PM

I added a battery disconnect - problem solved