The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Snap-On Dwell Tach (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301644)

Y-Blockhead 07-25-2021 08:23 PM

Snap-On Dwell Tach

I was given a Snap-On Dwell Tach Model # MT-715 the other day. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find instructions for it. I Googled it with no love.

Connecting it is pretty straight forward, I am just wondering about the knob on the far right, specifically the "Set" setting? It doesn't have any hard detents, more like a potentiometer. Thanks.

I'm told the dwell angle for a Model A distributor is 42°.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...857396c31a.jpg

Kurt in NJ 07-25-2021 09:09 PM

Re: Snap-On Dwell Tach

When center knob is at "set" adjust right "set" knob so meter needle is in the "set" area on the right side of scale

GRutter 07-25-2021 09:35 PM

Call Snap-On customer service at 800-424-7226 or email them. Give them the model number of the meter you have, and they will send you a pdf of the manual.
That's what I did (a couple of years ago) for my MT414 and there customer service was top notch.

GRutter 07-25-2021 09:36 PM

There is a battery inside. Open it up and be sure that there isn't any corrosion

Herb Concord Ca 07-25-2021 09:36 PM

A few comments. From the picture, the needle zero is off to the right of zero. To adjust first take a damp cloth or paper towel and wipe the plastic meter movement cover. Leave damp, this reduces static charge on plastic cover, then with a small blade screwdriver turn the plastic slot near the center bottom of plastic case to zero meter pointer. As it has a set pot that Kurt mentions, there may be a battery inside the unit. Turn unit over and see if it mentions an internal battery. Enjoy the dwell tach meter.

Y-Blockhead 07-25-2021 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ (Post 2039574)
When center knob is at "set" adjust right "set" knob so meter needle is in the "set" area on the right side of scale

Kurt, Thanks. That makes Sense. I will do that in the morning. After "setting it" do I turn the pointer to the proper voltage for my car?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRutter (Post 2039585)
There is a battery inside. Open it up and be sure that there isn't any corrosion

GRutter. Yes, I opened it up. I replaced the three "C" cell batteries. I cleaned the minimal corrosion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herb Concord Ca (Post 2039586)
A few comments. From the picture, the needle zero is off to the right of zero. To adjust first take a damp cloth or paper towel and wipe the plastic meter movement cover. Leave damp, this reduces static charge on plastic cover, then with a small blade screwdriver turn the plastic slot near the center bottom of plastic case to zero meter pointer. As it has a set pot that Kurt mentions, there may be a battery inside the unit. Turn unit over and see if it mentions an internal battery. Enjoy the dwell tach meter.

Herb, excellent. I wiped off the lens earlier and I think I caused the static electricity! I did try to adjust the meter. I'll try with a damp cloth as you suggest.

Thank you all for your responses. It seems like it is in pretty good shape. The wires have a few cracks in them, I may replace them.

Rob Doe 07-26-2021 01:45 PM

But what is the correct dwell for the 'A', guys? I thought I heard Les Andrews say in a YouTube video that 31 degrees was right for a 4 cylinder engine???? A curious mind wants to know the correct number. LOL

Ruth 07-26-2021 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Doe (Post 2039803)
But what is the correct dwell for the 'A', guys? I thought I heard Les Andrews say in a YouTube video that 31 degrees was right for a 4 cylinder engine???? A curious mind wants to know the correct number. LOL

Rob, in post #1 the dwell angle was said to be 42°. When checked, 42° equals .020" point gap. 30-35° would be for a six.

KR500 07-26-2021 11:00 PM

No change should be done to the gauge by adjusting the screw slot on front of meter. When new batteries are installed and meter is set to "Adjust" turn the dial till it matches the set line on front of meter. As the batteries age the set line may need to be adjusted since the batteries don't deliver the needed current.

Y-Blockhead 07-27-2021 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KR500 (Post 2039985)
No change should be done to the gauge by adjusting the screw slot on front of meter. When new batteries are installed and meter is set to "Adjust" turn the dial till it matches the set line on front of meter. As the batteries age the set line may need to be adjusted since the batteries don't deliver the needed current.

Thanks, KR500. I didn't have to adjust screw in front of the meter. The needle retured to zero by itself.

I put new batteries in and adjusted to the Set Line. What is confusing is what are the 6v, 12v and 24v positions for?

Since my car is 12v, do I turn the dial to 12v when the middle knob is in the dwell or tach positions? Thanks

Merc Cruzer 09-23-2021 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRutter (Post 2039584)
Call Snap-On customer service at 800-424-7226 or email them. Give them the model number of the meter you have, and they will send you a pdf of the manual.
That's what I did (a couple of years ago) for my MT414 and there customer service was top notch.

I just called Snap-On customer service and no luck and couldn't get past the automation.

I am looking for the manual, for a Snap-On folding primary Dwell Meter MT416.

Thank you,

Merc Cruzer
[email protected]

sphanna 09-24-2021 04:36 PM

I think the 31 dwell is for the original A. And the 42 is for the B cam which is what all the venders sell now.

mercman from oz 09-24-2021 04:45 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1632419880
Manual wanted, for a Snap-On folding primary Dwell Meter MT416.
Merc Cruzer

katy 09-25-2021 12:34 PM

Looks self explanatory to me. Decide which RPM range desired, then select 4,6 or 8 cylinder engine. Bob's your uncle.

Merc Cruzer 09-25-2021 06:26 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 2060153)
Looks self explanatory to me. Decide which RPM range desired, then select 4,6 or 8 cylinder engine. Bob's your uncle.

Found one on e-bay for $35, to include shipping. Got it today, you are correct, is it pretty much self explanatory.

I replaced a few bad wires, then removed the works, and sanded the case and primed it. Will repaint it tomorrow.

The first thing I did was the 9 volt battery test, to confirm it worked. Great idea!

hardtimes 09-27-2021 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Doe (Post 2039803)

I use Mallory(bullet proof) dists.
One of my units has an alum ID tag riveted
to unit. This tag,unfortunately …. is not
present on all my units (anyone know why ?).
This tag info:
POINT SET AT… 0.021;
DWELL SET AT…0.034.
Your choice what you do with your equipment.

BTW… your friend gave you a GOOD piece of equip !!
I have one , nearly 60 yrs. bot new !!

jack99 09-27-2021 03:51 PM

The 715 is a great tool. I had one for years but an undetected leaky battery pretty much ruined it. Take care of yours.

katy 09-28-2021 12:00 PM

I have one like this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/203496073248...SABEgL5E_D_BwE

Works good and doesn't use a battery.